Make Your Own - IPA

Kit Brewer, Tell us what you think of the kits you are making, what's good, what's bad, and what should we avoid.

Re: Make Your Own - IPA

Postby tim_n » Mon May 04, 2015 21:12

ImageFirst of two I'm reviewing from this range.

I'm pretty much always all grain these days. But you occasionally get birthday and Christmas presents. These were such!

The brand "Brew Your Own" is produced by SPL international.

The packaging used instead of tins is a unique twin ply sort of vacuum pack. Cutting into it opens both - so don't go looking for extra instructions and to peer at yeast or hop additions until you're ready to brew.

I briefly skimmed the instructions but they were lacking in any detail such as expected gravity.

Getting the liquid out is challenging. First stick in a warm water bath to soften it. Squeeze the majority out and then fold and roll like a tooth paste tube.

Add a couple if kettles of boiling water, 1KG of sugar and cold water up to the 23ltr mark.

Both kits come with specific yeast (as opposed to a single generic pack) and I'm afraid my helpers cleared up a little to efficiently to tell you what either was. No specific brandings though!

Each of the kits also has hops to add after its been brewing for 7 days.

The IPA has a small pouch of Apollo pellets (by the feel).

My OG is 1.048.

I'll report back after 3 weeks when I'm back from hols and have bottled. Opinions of the final product will be updated after the home brew festival!

My initial thoughts and feelings apply to both - the squeezy container was difficult to get everything out. With tins you can fill with water and rinse out. The packet is very messy and it is difficult to fill with water without getting very sticky hands. I felt there was probably stuff still stuck inside.

Tim

http://www.waark.com - My forays into homebrewing & grow your own
tim_n
Brewer

Postby tim_n » Sun Jun 14, 2015 19:38

Well, actions speak louder than words. It was put at the bar (if you're reading this in the distant future having found this from google) at the home brew festival 2015.

The overall impression was that it was pretty awful.

I didn't have anything good to say about it when I barrelled it (usually I can see the potential in a green beer) but this was pretty poor.

A few people told me they'd tried it and thrown it away.

It had a very homebrew flavour to it. I'd been as religious with my sanitation and cleaning as I normally do and it definitely wasn't infected or off.

Tim

http://www.waark.com - My forays into homebrewing & grow your own
tim_n
Brewer

Postby Oldstunty » Mon Dec 28, 2015 20:34

Oh dear. I've just been given this as a christmas present :o
Is there any way you can think of that may salvage this kit?
Think I'm going to go down the beer enhancer and spray malt route, I haven't really had a proper think about it yet,
may try some extra hops.
I was also given the Wilko dark velvet stout kit, and I am looking forward to modifying this one as per
a recipe on this site.

Cheers,
Jon :thumb:

I enjoy a glass of wine each night for its health benefits. The other glasses are for my witty comebacks and flawless dance moves.
Oldstunty
Brewer

Postby MrBoy » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:08

They use those pouches in the Youngs premium kits and I find I prefer them to be honest. I always end up making a mess trying to rinse out the cans!
MrBoy
Brewer