Festival - Landlords Finest Bitter

Kit Brewer, Tell us what you think of the kits you are making, what's good, what's bad, and what should we avoid.

Re: Festival - Landlords Finest Bitter

Postby Zod » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:58

Cheers Aleman!

Put this one on today, has a very appealing caramel colour to the wort. Made to 23L and rehydrated the yeast. SG was 1.046.

I much prefer tins to the pouches that festival use. Easier to handle and rinse. Comes with a hop bag for filtering at bottling/kegging stage, as all Festival kits do and a 50g packet of pellets for dry hopping.

Will update again at bottling (always good to have a quick taste!).

Zod
Brewer

Postby Zod » Tue May 05, 2015 09:57

The 2nd of the Festival kits that I've tried and the 2nd that appears to have stuck at 1.020. Have given it a stir and will wait another week before taking the next SG reading.

Zod
Brewer

Postby Zod » Mon May 11, 2015 19:02

After 18 days this is now down to about 1.016, so it's getting there but needed a couple of stirs and another week to move down from 1.020. Will now stir every other day until it stops dropping.

Zod
Brewer

Postby Zod » Tue May 12, 2015 12:05

Forgot to add that the trial jar was promising. This is supposed to emulate Timothy Taylor Landlord and the colour is quite close already.

Zod
Brewer

Postby Zod » Thu May 14, 2015 12:51

had to re-pitch. It stuck at 1.015. Luckily I had an extra pack of the same yeast. I had previously found the Festival Father Hooks kit stick, so the manufacturers had sent me an additional packet in case it happened when I tried their kits again....

I don't think it's the fault of the kit/yeast though. There must be something I am doing wrong (4 stuck kit ferments so far) but I've not been able to figure it out.

Zod
Brewer

Postby Zod » Mon May 18, 2015 10:14

the 2nd sachet of dry pitched yeast kicked in after 48hrs and the FV lid is bulging again. Two days after adding the yeast I added the hop sachet and will leave for 5 days before bottling.

Zod
Brewer

Postby sandimas » Mon May 18, 2015 15:58

Let us know how this one turns out, particularly how close it is to Landlord.

In my experience, kits like this really struggle to replicate a good subtley-hoppy English ale, nearly every one I've tried is more akin to a bold US style and very citrusy. Which is nice, but to me they all seem to taste the same - Youngs, Festival, etc. I do wonder if you just have to do a hop boil to get that English ale style, as it can't be achieved with dry hopping?
sandimas
Brewer

Postby Zod » Tue May 19, 2015 14:12

sandimas wrote:In my experience, kits like this really struggle to replicate a good subtley-hoppy English ale, nearly every one I've tried is more akin to a bold US style and very citrusy.

the hops included are Celeia & Admiral, which I have no experience of, but the smell out of the packet was distinctly different to Citra, Simcoe, Mosaic which I have used and are very citrusy. The Celeia, Admiral had a grassy smell to them. Time will tell.

Zod
Brewer

Postby Zod » Thu May 21, 2015 20:21

after a month in the bucket and a second sachet of yeast I got it down to 1.012 and bottled. I didn't have the chance to cold crash so there was a lot floating on the top and it's very cloudy currently. Taster jar is promising. A faint hint of orange under nice grassy-ness. Very much looking forward to the end product now.

Zod
Brewer

Postby Zod » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:13

2 weeks in the bottle and thought I'd give it a try. Not keen. It has a very similar spicey taste to the Festival Father Hooks kit. With both of these kits I had to re-pitch due to a stuck ferment - I've no idea if this is the reason they both have this odd taste. I've also done the Festival Golden Stag and it was excellent. All three brewed at 21c.

Based on the Father Hooks that still has the odd taste after 3 months, I'm not expecting this to get much better.

Zod
Brewer

Postby Zod » Mon Jun 08, 2015 13:54

Hmmm, reading the comments of the Father Hook's review thread I'll steal this comment as I believe the same applies to this beer

"I couldn't put my finger on the flavour I was getting with a really pleasant bitterness in the aftertaste . I can only describe it as a really nice bitter-orange taste , like marmalade ."

however, I would say it's overpowering rather than simply aftertaste. It just doesn't taste right to me.

Zod
Brewer

Postby serum » Tue Jun 09, 2015 08:29

You definitely have a recurring problem with stuck fermentations.

I found some of my kit brews would finish slightly above what they should and my AG ones had some off flavours I solved through aerating the wort better. Do you think this might be your problem?

I put my FV on the floor now and let the wort pour out from the tap on my boiler while stirring with a paddle and I get a whopping great head of foam on it now. I can barely fit 20L of wort into a 30L FV. Since doing that a lot of my problems have been solved. It might be worth a try if you've not given that a go. Some people also use a sanitised paint stirrer attached to a drill.

FV - Altbier
Bottled: Blond & Amber Biere De Garde, Blond & Amber French Ale, Belgian Pale
Planned: More Altbier, Kolsch, XX Bitter Clone
serum
Brewer

Postby ross » Tue Jun 09, 2015 22:06

Get a mixing paddle (and an electric drill).

http://www.brewuk.co.uk/beer-paddle-plastic-16-y.html

It's not that I'm just really lazy (I am) but takes about 30 seconds to do what would take me about 30 minutes by hand.

(Just be aware the head is too big to fit in a demijohn/carboy so it can't be used for degassing wine)
ross
Brewer

Postby Zod » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:47

I've had 4 stuck brews, 3 from Festival and 1 Wherry. Everything else (10+) I have made has been fine.

I've dry pitched and re-hydrated the festival yeasts and got a stuck ferment either way. When I made a Festival kit with US-05 instead I had no issue. So although not a definite, it would seem I've had problems with their yeast rather than my process. I normally have trouble getting the foam to die down prior to pitching, so don't think I have an aeration issue. I like the mixing paddle on a drill idea though - will give that a go!

Zod
Brewer

Postby sandimas » Thu Jun 11, 2015 19:12

The yeast that comes with the majority of kits is pretty poor - I did some experiments and found that adding a teaspoon or two of yeast nutrient with kits significantly reduced the chances of a stuck brew. Or just use a standard packet yeast. Anything made by Muntons (Wherry etc.) definately has an inferior yeast.
sandimas
Brewer

Postby serum » Fri Jun 12, 2015 08:26

Yeast nutrient is a good shout although I'd say 2 teaspoons is too much. I've had off flavours when using less than that. Kits don't give you a whole lot of yeast though and wherry is infamous for stalling. I've not heard that about festival kits though.

FV - Altbier
Bottled: Blond & Amber Biere De Garde, Blond & Amber French Ale, Belgian Pale
Planned: More Altbier, Kolsch, XX Bitter Clone
serum
Brewer