Festivals GoldenStag Summer Ale

Kit Brewer, Tell us what you think of the kits you are making, what's good, what's bad, and what should we avoid.

Re: Festivals GoldenStag Summer Ale

Postby Bad 'Ed » Sat Nov 15, 2014 09:38

I tried one of these which had been in the bottle for 18 months. It was still very very good (although a lot more fizzy than when I first tried one) and it was still surprisingly hoppy.

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer

Postby Zod » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:34

18 months! Good to know it keeps well.

After 2.5 days of very little sign of activity I cracked open the bucket. Looked like a lot of remnants of the initial aeration foam had the yeast stuck on top of it. Sanitised a spoon and gently skimmed the surface helping the yeast into the wort.

I'm guessing that after this long that something negative will result? Starved yeast? Loss of oxygen from the wort?

Zod
Brewer

Postby Zod » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:11

10mins after the stir there was significant airlock activity. Hopefully it won't need any further yeast. Still concerned it won't fully ferment though.

Zod
Brewer

Postby sandimas » Sat Nov 15, 2014 20:54

It wouldn't get going that quick (10 mins) if stuck on top. I reckon it was already going, and you had a Krausen rather than the foam from the initial aeration, which tends to die down pretty quick. Re-seating the lid sealed it making the airlock work, it was probably going before but leaking out the sides of the lid - I've had that before. Lack of airlock activity is not always a sign of nothing happening. It'll be fine. :thumb:
sandimas
Brewer

Postby Zod » Sat Nov 15, 2014 21:20

There was zero air lock activity and I did already check the lid for a good seal. The lid was bulging within half an hour of the stir. I was very surprised to see the obvious difference so quickly.

Zod
Brewer

Postby fore » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:45

Returns a nice beer this kit; very zesty. If that's not your thing, best to avoid. I now know what people mean when they refer to cats piss taste, as it's teetering on the edge, but don't let that put you off, it only comes to mind if it's already in your head (so sorry for that). The flavour surprises me a little, as the branding has you think it will be a smooth English Pale, but it strikes me of more a zesty APA. Not that I'm an expert of APA, but I find this more APA than Young's APA.

It came out at 4.2% (target 4.5%). If you are planning on kegging, I'd recommend adding the smaller pack of secondary brewing sugar to the primary ferment. In any case it's intended that it be in the final beer, so if not bottling, throw it in and you'll pull closer to the intended 4.5%. My preference is a minimum 5% ABV, so I find it a bit light.

I always both primary ferment and secondary clear quite some time, so I know it's about as clear as it'll get. Yet it's not fully clear, it looks like some of the photos earlier in this thread; no big deal though.

This is my 20th kit in recent times and falls in as #2, possibly joint #1. All 3 dry hop kits I've tried have easily beaten the non-dry hop kits, so that's the way to go. The exciting thing about that is that you can dry hop any standard kit, using any hop you like, opening up a whole taste experience without much fuss.

Cornie1: Bulldog - Evil Dog Double IPA
Cornie2: waiting
Cornie3: waiting
fore
Brewer

Postby Zod » Wed Nov 19, 2014 20:30

Zod wrote:10mins after the stir there was significant airlock activity. Hopefully it won't need any further yeast. Still concerned it won't fully ferment though.

and my concerns seem to have been confirmed. Checked today (1 week) and stuck at 1.020. Given it a stir and raised the temp from 19c to around 21-22c. Will see how it goes.

Zod
Brewer

Postby Zod » Thu Dec 11, 2014 17:59

well the 1st half of this batch is in the bottle. Tasted quite superb from the FV. Using the entire 50g of hops in just 11.5L seems to have worked nicely.

2nd half has been made with Mosaic hops instead. It fermented out in 1 week. Rehydrated the yeast this time and have the FV temp controlled at 21c. Seems to have worked a charm.

Zod
Brewer

Postby Zod » Fri Jan 02, 2015 14:27

I made a 2.5l batch of this replacing the kit hops with 50g of Mosaic.....great pint!

Zod
Brewer

Postby Scott-Westy » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:56

With a new born baby to look after and low stocks I didn't have time to brew AG so I did this as my first kit in years. Its now conditioning in the keg. I ditched the kit yeast for US05 and hit it with an additional 50g citra dry hop also before crashing it.

I tasted it on racking, jesus it was bitter, but clean tasting at least. I hope it mellows out.

Planning - Cascade DIPA, Anniversary Saison, RIS
Fermenting - NZ Pale
Conditioning - Ruby Mild v2
Drinking - Czech Pilsner, Sour Rye Saison, Ruby Mild, Red Jester, Witbier
Scott-Westy
Brewer

Postby Scott-Westy » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36

Update on this Stag kit. The bitterness is receding slowly, leaving a beer which frankly I don't enjoy drinking. Can't put my finger on it. It just doesn't do it for me, it just tastes like a beer flavoured drink!

Planning - Cascade DIPA, Anniversary Saison, RIS
Fermenting - NZ Pale
Conditioning - Ruby Mild v2
Drinking - Czech Pilsner, Sour Rye Saison, Ruby Mild, Red Jester, Witbier
Scott-Westy
Brewer

Previous