Festivals GoldenStag Summer Ale

Kit Brewer, Tell us what you think of the kits you are making, what's good, what's bad, and what should we avoid.

Festivals GoldenStag Summer Ale

Postby HoppyG » Sat Apr 12, 2014 22:35

Really liking this kit as the weeks go on,its been bottled now for over 6 weeks. Clear as a bell and the head stays on all the way down.
Hops are beginning to mellow now as it was to harsh early on :thumb:

On Victory you deserve beer. On defeat you need it.......
HoppyG
Brewer

Re: Festivals GoldenStag Summer Ale

Postby Thegoldenheap » Wed Apr 23, 2014 15:46

That is clear ! My stag has been bubbling about ten days nearly, how did you clear it?
Thegoldenheap
Brewer

Postby Bad 'Ed » Wed Apr 23, 2014 17:33

This was my favourite kit, I brewed it and liked it so much I immediately brewed it again!

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer

Postby HoppyG » Wed Apr 23, 2014 17:40

It was left in FV for 2 weeks with the last 48hrs being cold crashed in the garage. I then batch primed into another bucket and bottled from that.
It was then left a week in the warm until it had cleared down nicely and finally 2 weeks in the cold again :drink:
Had to leave it a few more weeks though as it was way to bitter almost to the point of gurning :shock: :)
Its since mellowed nicely :cheers:

HoppyG
Brewer

Postby Thegoldenheap » Wed Apr 23, 2014 20:11

HoppyG wrote:It was left in FV for 2 weeks with the last 48hrs being cold crashed in the garage. I then batch primed into another bucket and bottled from that.
It was then left a week in the warm until it had cleared down nicely and finally 2 weeks in the cold again :drink:
Had to leave it a few more weeks though as it was way to bitter almost to the point of gurning :shock: :)
Its since mellowed nicely :cheers:

What day do you add the hops? I could place the fv in the fridge to get a cooker temperature, my garage has warmed up past few weeks
Thegoldenheap
Brewer

Postby HoppyG » Wed Apr 23, 2014 20:29

I added them after 5 days but if I did it again I'd add them after 9 days,that with it being 2 weeks in the FV.
So they were probably in a bit too long for my palate :D

HoppyG
Brewer

Postby JDGBrew » Thu Apr 24, 2014 01:19

Will be kegging mine this saturday hopefully. Probably bottle 6 for stashing away :whistle:
Three weeks in FV, SG 1042, Hops added on day 16.
Trial jar tasted great when took last gravity reading (1012/0) can't wait for this one!

'I saw one guy loose a tooth lunging for a foaming mug and miss judging it'- Aleman

FV1 - Coopers Aus Lager (Raspberry)
FV2 - Coopers Stout
BBkt -...
Keg1 - nowt
Keg2 - Citra Wherry (left over from wedding......I didn't hide it?!)
Keg3 - Empty
Conditioning - Brewferm Grand Cru - Razorback - Youngs IPA 7.5%! Citra/Centennial Wilkos Golden Ale. Brewferm Tarwebier w/orange & coriander. Rioja 25 bottles
JDGBrew
Brewer

Postby Bad 'Ed » Thu Apr 24, 2014 08:06

HoppyG wrote:I added them after 5 days but if I did it again I'd add them after 9 days,that with it being 2 weeks in the FV.
So they were probably in a bit too long for my palate :D

Not sure if that will do what you want. It might be better to keep it at 5 days and reduce the amount of hops added.

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer

Postby JDGBrew » Mon May 12, 2014 16:05

Well it's been bang on two weeks kegged up today!
Started new shifts at work and finished at 2pm :thumb: Sun is shining and it's a beaudy'day indeed!
So poured meself my first proper pint out of the keg......
Clearing up really well for two weeks, taste has come on really well in such a short amount of time.
Still on the bitter side but it mellowing nicely and tastes bloody wonderful!
(Came out at 4.5% so bang on the kit estimate for a change!)

Will definitely be purchasing another to get on soon, as I can see the keg and 6 bottles getting finished off rather quickly....well if his weather stays with us :whistle:

'I saw one guy loose a tooth lunging for a foaming mug and miss judging it'- Aleman

FV2 - Coopers Stout
BBkt -...
Keg1 - nowt
Keg3 - Empty
Conditioning - Brewferm Grand Cru - Razorback - Youngs IPA 7.5%! Citra/Centennial Wilkos Golden Ale. Brewferm Tarwebier w/orange & coriander. Rioja 25 bottles
JDGBrew
Brewer

Postby HoppyG » Thu May 15, 2014 21:04

Looks good JD :thumb:

HoppyG
Brewer

Postby Oldstunty » Thu May 15, 2014 21:22

That looks like a beauty :thumb:
Putting this on next weekend.

Cheers,
jon.

I enjoy a glass of wine each night for its health benefits. The other glasses are for my witty comebacks and flawless dance moves.
Oldstunty
Brewer

Postby JDGBrew » Mon May 19, 2014 18:09

Cheers lads :thumb:
It is a cracking pint!

With the great weather we had over the weekend the keg took a bit of a battering :whistle:
My missus really enojyed a couple yesterday and I mean 'really' enjoyed it, so much so that shes buying anotber two kits to get on for our wedding in august! :drink: theres a good lass, ha.

Can't see the keg lasting that long now we'll both be enjoying it!

FV2 - Coopers Stout
BBkt -...
Keg1 - nowt
Keg3 - Empty
JDGBrew
Brewer

Postby Bad 'Ed » Mon May 19, 2014 19:58

JDGBrew wrote:shes buying anotber two kits to get on for our wedding in august!

True love. My wife made me shell out for champagne. Fancy a swap? :rofl:

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer

Postby JDGBrew » Mon May 19, 2014 20:13

:rofl: I'll have to see a pic first :whistle:

Aye, she's a good'un alright!
When this kitchens done after wedding im cracking on with a brewery/bar in the spare bedroom, she thought it was a grand idea :o I thought she was playing the opposite game for a minute! Ha!

FV2 - Coopers Stout
BBkt -...
Keg1 - nowt
Keg3 - Empty
JDGBrew
Brewer

Postby supersteve » Wed May 28, 2014 18:05

I'm doing 2 of these kits for a wedding next month and just took a sample of them, tasted incredible. caught a little bit of citrus. Does anybody think that it would be better with a low carbonation? They've included 110g of sugar for carbonation and that seems really excessive.
supersteve
Brewer

Postby JDGBrew » Fri Jun 06, 2014 20:53

Same as you mate, getting another two of these on for me wedding in august. Chucking them both in pressure kegs. Everyone who tried it absolutely loved it! Great crowd pleaser!

I chucked in the supplied 110g bag into me keg!
Bearing in mind that it was probably 2/3rds full. Say 30pints? That was just enough, carbonation for me was spot on, head lasted all the way to the bottom on the glass. (Not a fan of fizzy ales)

The 6 I bottled had a 1/2tsp and came out a bit over carbed for me.

Hope that helps :thumb:

FV2 - Coopers Stout
BBkt -...
Keg1 - nowt
Keg3 - Empty
JDGBrew
Brewer

Postby supersteve » Fri Jun 06, 2014 21:12

Ah cheers mate, I just kegged it a couple of hours ago with the 110g sugar so hope it's as good as yours is.
supersteve
Brewer

Postby JDGBrew » Fri Jun 06, 2014 21:46

No worries, I'm sure it'll be reet :thumb:

You don't get that much carbonation going on in a pressure keg to be honest, it's not flat at all but nowhere near like bottle conditioned.

I do prefer it kegged, the 6 bottles seemed more lively in the flavour department but I reckon the high carbonation had something to do with that a wee bit!

Had mine in the FV for two weeks them chucked in the hop pellets and left for another week, then kegged. Left in warm for two weeks then in fridge at 12-13oC - Lasted a few weeks after that :drink: :whistle:

Beltin kit this! :cheers:

FV2 - Coopers Stout
BBkt -...
Keg1 - nowt
Keg3 - Empty
JDGBrew
Brewer

Postby matt666 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 13:58

I had mine in the FV for 3 weeks total, with the hops in for the last 5 days. Then a week in the warm and it's now been 2 weeks in the garage.

Had real trouble with the auto syphon getting clogged and subsequently pumping a bit of air through it so I thought I'd ruined it. Probably managed to get 30 pints in the keg. I found there's a hell of a lot of crap in the FV with this one.

I had a couple of tastes throughout the process and it was so bitter, like someone else said almost a gurner! I had a few pints at the weekend and it's now mellowed out lovely and I'm starting to prefer it to the Wherry I've got in the other keg. Mine isn't as clear as the pictures so I think it's got a way to go yet. It actually ran out of gas so wouldn't pour after about 3 pints so wouldn't worry about the amount of sugar.
matt666
Brewer

Postby Reddibaggie » Wed Jun 18, 2014 16:58

I've put 250g of maltodextrin for the head retention in this and plan to corny keg it and bottle the extra 4 litres, would anyone suggest carbing it with gas right up front or letting it naturally carb with the dextrose provided. I know that means sucking up sediment with the first few pints, but would it be worth it.
Thanks for the info on the harshness of the hops, I think the three weeks in the fv and hopping after two is a great idea.
Reddibaggie
Brewer

Postby matt666 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 21:12

Mine's cleared down nicely now and the hops have mellowed out - lovely pint.
matt666
Brewer

Postby maffa » Fri Sep 12, 2014 13:21

For those wanting a slighty stonger pint, I chucked in 1 large tin of golden syrup and it ended up at 5.8% No difference to taste just a bigger kick!

Keeping weight down while putting beer in is difficult
maffa
Brewer

Postby Zod » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:39

picked this up on Saturday. Planning to do one tin as intended and the other I'll replace the hops in the kit with Mosaic. I'll also use US-05 for that half.

If I get it on this week then I should have at least one half ready for Christmas.

Zod
Brewer

Postby Zod » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:42

Started this one 2 nights ago. I stirred and aerated it for so long, thus forming a 3 inch foam head, then it was tricky to pitch the yeast directly onto the wort. I had to move a bit of foam out of the way to expose a small bit of wort surface area and repeat until I'd used the whole packet. It hasn't shown any signs of fermentation as yet. Will check again tonight but I really hope I haven't screwed up the pitch as otherwise it's a trek to get another yeast for a pale beer.

Zod
Brewer

Postby johnsaunders » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:20

Zod wrote:Started this one 2 nights ago. I stirred and aerated it for so long, thus forming a 3 inch foam head, then it was tricky to pitch the yeast directly onto the wort.

I've always pitched my yeast straight on top of the foam and never had a problem.

Formally known as cyberheater
johnsaunders
Brewer

Next