Milestone - Shine On

Kit Brewer, Tell us what you think of the kits you are making, what's good, what's bad, and what should we avoid.

Re: Milestone - Shine On

Postby johnsaunders » Mon Oct 20, 2014 19:25

I'm brewed two Milestone Shine On kits today. Around 80 pints in total.

It's described as "Lightly tropical with hints of Zesty freshness. A sharp Moorish beer.". On the instructions it's says it should
come to around 4.5% ABV but on the website says 4%ABV. I did a OG which came out around 1.050 which should come around
5.25% ABV so I don't know what to believe.

As you can see the wort is quite light.

I'm going to dry hop one kit with Citra and the other kit with Amarillo.

Formally known as cyberheater
johnsaunders
Brewer

Postby Adamjohn » Mon Oct 20, 2014 20:00

Sounds like out should turn out lovely. Look forward to seeing what you think of it and how each hop affects it.
Adamjohn
Brewer

Postby Chris2304 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 20:31

Will be interested to see how this turns out. This was the first brew I ever did. It was very drinkable after only a little conditioning, but after two or three months it became, well, 'boring'. Drink it young, that would be my tip.
Chris2304
Brewer

Postby Andyf » Sat Oct 25, 2014 21:31

After a nice wheat beer decided on Shine On for my second brew. Bottled 3 weeks ago - had my first taste today - not bad at all! Still a little cloudy but not been in the fridge for long! Looking forward to attaching the 10ltr polypin to my new pump! Fingers crossed!
Andyf
Brewer

Postby Andyf » Mon Oct 27, 2014 16:55

First pint of shine on - 3 weeks in and still needs to clarify - slight chemical aftertaste - presume this will go with time although not horrible! Can anyone recommend anything?
Andyf
Brewer

Postby johnsaunders » Mon Oct 27, 2014 22:00

I've now dry hopped both with 50g of Citra. Didn't make a hop tea or anything. Just poured the pellets into the FV. I hope It turns out okay.

johnsaunders
Brewer

Postby johnsaunders » Thu Nov 13, 2014 21:12

So it's been carbonating for around a just under a week. I really should leave it another week in the warm to carbonate probably and then a couple of more weeks in my cold garage but I can't resist. It's taste time.

First off. I lovely light amber colour. It's not exactly clear but that might be down the hop pellets not settling to the bottom of the bottles and that fact that it's very young.
A large aroma of Citra hits you in the face as you open it. But on tasting, it mellows into the zesty citrusy taste of this light and refreshing beer very well. This is around 5.25% ABV although you'd never know it to taste. This is going to be a seriously nice brew once the hops have integrated a bit better and mellowed over the next month or so.

This would make a absolutely fabulous summer drink. I've very glad I brewed 80 pints of the stuff.

johnsaunders
Brewer

Postby Johnnyguitarman » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:15

I've got a Shine on kit in FV1 at the moment.

It took a while to start fermenting, despite containing Muntons branded yeast. Guess I've been used to the SAFale-04 that starts bubbling vigorously within a few hours of pitching. Though the kit was just past its sell by date so I'm wondering if I need to pitch more yeast.
Johnnyguitarman
Brewer