Wilkos Hoppy Copper

Kit Brewer, Tell us what you think of the kits you are making, what's good, what's bad, and what should we avoid.

Wilkos Hoppy Copper

Postby supersteve » Wed Apr 09, 2014 19:37

Would you believe it, this bottle has been conditioning for only 1 week and I am thoroughly impressed. Time will only make it better.

Don't get me wrong, it's no Woodfords Wherry but if you want a cheap 40pints for £7.50 (In the sale) you won't be disappointed with this one.
Lovely bitter notes, I dry hopped it so I'm getting the hoppy flavours coming through.
I wasn't expecting much from what I have previously read but I will certainly pick these up again. :drink:

supersteve
Brewer

Re: Wilkos Hoppy Copper

Postby Joe1002 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 20:53

Looks good considering it's so young.

What did you dry hop with?

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Joe1002

Postby supersteve » Wed Apr 09, 2014 21:08

It's actually still in the secondary, I drew off a 330ml bottle to test while transferring.

I made a hop tea with Hersbruker pellets for the primary, and now i've dry hopped with Perle in the secondary. Got them cheap.

So it should be much more hoppy when I finally bottle it. :D
supersteve
Brewer

Postby johnsaunders » Mon Aug 11, 2014 20:15

I just bought this kit and 2 x 500gram packets of Wilcos medium spray malt.

I was thinking of brewing this short to 20L to get as much body as possible. Does it really need a hop tea to bring out the hoppiness? I've not done one of those before.

Formally known as cyberheater
johnsaunders
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Mon Aug 11, 2014 20:17

it won't be hoppy, just bitter. cheapo kits contain bittering hops and nothing else, so if you want some flavour or aroma, you'll need to put it in yourself!
robwalker
Brewer

Postby johnsaunders » Mon Aug 11, 2014 20:36

robwalker wrote:it won't be hoppy, just bitter. cheapo kits contain bittering hops and nothing else, so if you want some flavour or aroma, you'll need to put it in yourself!

What would you recommend?

johnsaunders
Brewer

Postby supersteve » Mon Aug 11, 2014 20:53

Either dry hop or a hop tea.. all instructions for these are in the How-To section :thumb:
supersteve
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Mon Aug 11, 2014 21:01

flavour - boil hops for 15 minutes in a few litres of water. it'll also add bitterness, which will be okay if you're adding DME instead of sugar.
raw hop flavour and aroma - hop tea. just pour a few litres of water over the hops and add it when you make the kit up
aroma - dry hop

depends what you want, you can dry hop with basically anything. 30g goldings or fuggles will make it a nice hoppy english. 50g-100g cascade, centennial, citra etc will push it closer to an american citrus finish. use noble hops like tettnang or saaz and the hops will taste more like those you find in hoppy lagers. it's all very easy and will increase the flavour, but if you're not confident just brew it up anyway and enjoy it!
robwalker
Brewer

Postby johnsaunders » Fri Aug 15, 2014 21:45

I made this today with 30grams of Amarillo hops boiled for 10 minutes, 500grams of DME and 1kg of white sugar. Smelt amazing. Should come out to be around 4.4% ABV when done.

johnsaunders
Brewer

Postby i brew » Sun Aug 17, 2014 13:51

i will be brewin this next weekend with dark 500 grams of DME and 30 grams fuggles and 750 grams of sugar
i brew
Brewer

Postby AndyH » Mon Aug 18, 2014 19:05

I been out of the loop for a bit with various time issues, but this was one of the last ones I brewed... I have around 30 Coopers bottles-worth of it left that's been sitting there for around... ooh, gotta be going on 18 months.

It's not too bad if you can leave it that long :whistle:
AndyH
Brewer

Postby johnsaunders » Mon Aug 18, 2014 19:17

AndyH wrote:I been out of the loop for a bit with various time issues, but this was one of the last ones I brewed... I have around 30 Coopers bottles-worth of it left that's been sitting there for around... ooh, gotta be going on 18 months.

It's not too bad if you can leave it that long :whistle:

LOL. 18 months. I think I might be lucky to leave it a month. ;)

johnsaunders
Brewer

Postby johnsaunders » Fri Sep 12, 2014 20:27

This has turned out much better then I thought it would do. It has benefited hugely by the hop additions. Well worth it. The Amarillo is coming through strong.

I'll definitely be brewing this again.

johnsaunders
Brewer

Postby paul » Thu Oct 02, 2014 14:32

I thought this one was okay, but not particularly hoppy.

I brewed it short to 20l with 500g DME and 500g sugar, and it's quite drinkable. I'd agree that the addition of some additional hops would improve it, but as a cheap kit it's reasonable value.
paul
Brewer

Postby johnsaunders » Thu Oct 02, 2014 16:52

paul wrote:but as a cheap kit it's reasonable value.

I think as a cheap kit it's excellent. I'm very pleased with mine. With the hop additions I think I prefer it to the Wherry.

johnsaunders
Brewer

Postby winelight » Thu Oct 09, 2014 07:27

I will be bottling some of this on Friday. 1Kg sugar 500g DME brewed to 21l and 100g dry hops (don't remember the variety, might be Glacier).
winelight
Brewer

Postby johnsaunders » Thu Oct 09, 2014 08:01

winelight wrote:I will be bottling some of this on Friday. 1Kg sugar 500g DME brewed to 21l and 100g dry hops (don't remember the variety, might be Glacier).

Should taste fab. I was really impressed with this single can kit. It's a great base for hopping. Let's us know how the bottling sample taste.

johnsaunders
Brewer

Postby winelight » Fri Oct 10, 2014 14:14

Well to me it tastes rather nice, exactly what I would expect if I walked into a pub and asked for a "pint of best" (can you still do that anywhere, lol). Very drinkable, nothing wrong with it, but no outstanding characteristics either.
winelight
Brewer

Postby johnsaunders » Fri Oct 10, 2014 15:32

winelight wrote:Well to me it tastes rather nice, exactly what I would expect if I walked into a pub and asked for a "pint of best" (can you still do that anywhere, lol). Very drinkable, nothing wrong with it, but no outstanding characteristics either.

Yes. A very pleasant brew especially when you add extra hops and some dme. I think it might taste a bit thin if brewed as directed with no additions and 1Kg of white sugar.

johnsaunders
Brewer

Postby glendragon » Mon Nov 10, 2014 19:19

brewed the wilkos copper beer for the first time and had problems with it bubbling due to it giving off very little gas but the hydrometer stated all was good hoping it would turn out I bottled it after around seven days warm stored for two days refrigerated for a further two days that's eleven days from start and tried a bottle today, I was very impressed with how clear it was in such short time and the carbonation along with taste was pretty good for a cheap £7.50 kit, I hope to hold on too it for Christmas around a months time but really can't see it last that long, I brewed this kit as it was from the tin with wilkos brew sugar and tap water no hops or fining of any kind I just wanted the basic batch and will be returning to wilkos shortly for a few more, to sum up in two words <very impresed> :party:

\ GLENDRAGON /
glendragon
Brewer

Postby Robdob » Fri Nov 14, 2014 22:24

I copied Cyberheater's brew of this with 30gms Amarillo boiled then short brewed to 20ltrs. Started last Sat. 1.046 It's already at 1.012. Did any of you find it fermented out this quickly too? I'm interested to know as it's only my second brew, the first was Wherry which took over 2 weeks before I could bottle it.
Robdob
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Fri Nov 14, 2014 22:51

Cyberheater, glad to hear you got on well!
robwalker
Brewer

Postby johnsaunders » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:44

Robdob wrote:I copied Cyberheater's brew of this with 30gms Amarillo boiled then short brewed to 20ltrs. Started last Sat. 1.046 It's already at 1.012. Did any of you find it fermented out this quickly too? I'm interested to know as it's only my second brew, the first was Wherry which took over 2 weeks before I could bottle it.

Yes. It's a quick brew. I think it will eventually drop to 1.008.

robwalker wrote:Cyberheater, glad to hear you got on well!

Thanks Rob.

johnsaunders
Brewer

Postby johnsaunders » Sun Nov 16, 2014 22:40

I found a bottle of this that somehow remained hidden on a garage shelf. What a nice surprise. It's really nice now. Nice and mellow with a soft malty taste. You can still taste the added hops but they have died back a bit. It seems quite balanced.

johnsaunders
Brewer

Postby Zod » Mon Nov 17, 2014 14:52

just ordered this myself. I've got fuggles, citra and mosaic in the freezer. Anyone care to suggest which one to dry hop with?

Zod
Brewer

Next