Wilkos Hoppy Copper

Kit Brewer, Tell us what you think of the kits you are making, what's good, what's bad, and what should we avoid.

Re: Wilkos Hoppy Copper

Postby kentmark » Mon Nov 17, 2014 19:55

I've used this as the basis of previous 2 years festive ales with good results. Trying something different this year just for a change.
kentmark
Brewer

Postby JhnMcK » Wed Jan 21, 2015 19:26

I have this kit hiding away in a drawer to make at some point. My last attempt at brewing a beer kit went a bit pear-shaped as I made the Wilko's Stout with my own additions which smelt incredible, and tasted like Guinness in the primary. The problem was I left it in there too long so it became infected and I found myself having 23L of what essentially was vinegar. Anyway, what hops would you recommend adding to improve the Hoppy Copper? I'll probably look at making up a hop tea to add more flavour and aroma to the brew and maybe dry hop too.
JhnMcK
Brewer

Postby Robdob » Wed Jan 21, 2015 20:15

Hi, I had good results both times with Amarillo, 30gms, steeped for 15 mins. In a cafetierre then added at start. Also, I short brewed to 20ltrs, and used 500gms, Light DME and 500gms, brewing sugar the first time, second time was the same with hops and 1kg light DME. Next time I'll try a hop tea near end of ferment just to see if I get more aroma.
Good luck with your brew.
Robdob
Brewer

Postby Zod » Fri Mar 06, 2015 14:51

I got this going with 500g light and 500g medium spray malt. Brew length of 20L. 50g Amarillo hop tea at the start, then a 50g Amarillo dry hop when it got to around 1.011. When adding the dry hop I managed to throw the whole hop packet in the bucket. Paranoia about infection kicked in :pray:

Zod
Brewer

Postby Zod » Fri Mar 13, 2015 09:23

Zod wrote:I got this going with 500g light and 500g medium spray malt. Brew length of 20L. 50g Amarillo hop tea at the start, then a 50g Amarillo dry hop.

Bottled this last night. Sample jar tasted very promising indeed.

Zod
Brewer

Postby chub1 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 14:29

Had this one on the go for 11 days.
Brewed short along with steeped crystal malt and carahell's, golden syrup,spray malt, challenger hop pellets and styrian goldings hop pellets.
Tested today at 1.014 so needs a few more points off it yet.Dry hopped with 10 grms styrian goldings and will leave for 5 days and re test.
Nice and clear in the sample tube, nice smell and nice hoppy taste :thumb: .
Quite a lot of what looks like yeast particles on top in FV, third time now with either Wilko's kit yeast or Wilko's Gervin yeast, perhaps it does not require a whole packet to be sprinkled on top OR perhaps i should have re hydrated it first.
Anyway, looking forward to this one and will stick a report up once bottled :D
chub1
Brewer

Postby supersteve » Wed Apr 06, 2016 14:59

chub1 wrote:Had this one on the go for 11 days.
Brewed short along with steeped crystal malt and carahell's, golden syrup,spray malt, challenger hop pellets and styrian goldings hop pellets.
Tested today at 1.014 so needs a few more points off it yet.Dry hopped with 10 grms styrian goldings and will leave for 5 days and re test.
Quite a lot of what looks like yeast particles on top in FV, third time now with either Wilko's kit yeast or Wilko's Gervin yeast, perhaps it does not require a whole packet to be sprinkled on top OR perhaps i should have re hydrated it first.

Yeast particles? If they look like what you get from the packet then I'm surprised they didn't drop out.. but it's not an indication to use less yeast, more so that the yeast packet was perhaps past it's best, incorrectly stored or just that those particular yeast bits died on impact as a lot of them do.
supersteve
Brewer

Postby chub1 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 16:06

supersteve wrote:
chub1 wrote:Had this one on the go for 11 days.

Yeast particles? If they look like what you get from the packet then I'm surprised they didn't drop out.. but it's not an indication to use less yeast, more so that the yeast packet was perhaps past it's best, incorrectly stored or just that those particular yeast bits died on impact as a lot of them do.

Ah, ok thanks
Think perhaps the latter as the kit was up to date and both Gervin packs were also.
chub1
Brewer

Postby chub1 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 16:10

Racked this with some voil over the end of syphon as still some floaty bits in the FV, hop pellet trub by the colour of it.
Batch primed and bottled today at 1.014 (tested three times)so around 3.30% which is a tad under the aimed for figure, however perhaps not a bad thing as it makes it a tad more sessionable :party: .
Nice golden colour, nice aroma and a taste from the trial jar said-quite bitter and quite hoppy :thumb:
chub1
Brewer

Postby MrBoy » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:31

supersteve wrote:Don't get me wrong, it's no Woodfords Wherry
That sounds like a good thing... WW was OK but probably the kit I was least impressed with so far. Not sure if I just don't like that kind of thing, I've had beers in pubs that are similar so possibly.
MrBoy
Brewer

Postby chub1 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 19:23

chub1 wrote:Racked this with some voil over the end of syphon as still some floaty bits in the FV, hop pellet trub by the colour of it.
Batch primed and bottled today at 1.014 (tested three times)so around 3.30% which is a tad under the aimed for figure, however perhaps not a bad thing as it makes it a tad more sessionable :party: .
Nice golden colour, nice aroma and a taste from the trial jar said-quite bitter and quite hoppy :thumb:

Well, couldn't wait so cracked one open today.
Dissapointing. Hoppy taste seems to have lessened along with the initial bitterness, fairly bland actually. Decent head and colour,no unpleasant twang, just plain ordinary!.
Guess it will be a reasonable beer for the summer evenings.
chub1
Brewer

Previous