Young's Harvest Mild

Kit Brewer, Tell us what you think of the kits you are making, what's good, what's bad, and what should we avoid.

Young's Harvest Mild

Postby oldbloke » Fri Sep 19, 2014 23:02

I started this on 2014-07-04
I deviated from the kit instructions as follows:
500g sugar and 500 g dark spraymalt instead of all sugar;
ClarityFerm in with yeast;
Brewed to 32 pints instead of 40.

A month ago it was under-carbed (I used 1/2 tsp granulated per 500ml bottle), but now (2014-09-19) it's spot on.

I like it quite a lot, t'missus likes it.
I suspect it might be just a little thin at 40 pints and without the spraymalt.
oldbloke

Re: Young's Harvest Mild

Postby chub1 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 15:09

I did this one(first brew) with only brewing sugar and at 40 pints. At the time it was fermenting the temperatures got really hot(outside) and had a job keeping the actual brew temp level :( .
Bottled it up and first tastes were not great, a bit fruity(possibly the heat) pretty flat and thin.A month on and the taste is improving but still a little flat, did half teaspoon sugar per bottle. Must say it's really nice and clear so at present i am mixing it with a cheapo bitter to string it out and hope that it matures even better as time goes by.
Would probably benefit from brewing short with either spray malt or brew enhancer and possibly a few hops! :drink:
chub1
Brewer

Postby oldbloke » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:20

I suspect all but the best kits benefit from brewing short.
oldbloke

Postby Kyle_T » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:30

I did the Young's Harvest Mild as my first kit in the summer of 2012 (I think), it was brewed short to 21 litres and had 500g of Dark? Spray Malt, I don't recall adding any sugar, it came out reasonably well and with a slightly higher than intended priming, a nice tight head that lasted well into the dregs of the glass.

The only thing I found lacking from a modern perspective was a little more roast, but that is my particular taste for a beer.

In terms of historical accuracy it fits the bill rather well, a subtle bitterness and malt balance, sweetness from the caramel and a pinch of black malt (I reckon) just to make it a few shades darker.

I would be quite happy to drink it again to see in comparison to see how my beers have developed over time.

Next Brew: AG#63.

Beer Brewed (2015): 136.4 Gallons
Beer Brewed (2016): 90.0 Gallons
Beer Brewed (2017): 20.0 Gallons

First AG Brewed: 11.4.2013.
https://theessexbrewer.wordpress.com
Kyle_T
The Essex Brewer

Postby chub1 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 15:24

Mine is improving both taste wise and carbonation but really too bland.
Think i will give it another go at some point but as advised brew it short and with spraymalt and perhaps the addition of some hops either at start or dry hop it. :cheers:
chub1
Brewer

Postby LeithR » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:04

I've brewed this (and others in the Youngs range) a few times now, I usually brew short at 21L and add a hop tea, see my sig for a how to. My favourite hop to use for this is Citra, but I've also had success with Ella and Amarillo. I find this a good way to try out different hops for flavour and Aroma. Its also worth trying different yeasts, Nottingham works well.

Hop Tea - how to

Puppy Slacko 5.9.3 Linux user see HERE for details.

Searching for other planets? Why, this is the only one with beer!
LeithR
Brewer

Postby ericmark » Sun Nov 29, 2015 13:56

It is on my list of good kits. I added a little extra sugar and it still came out well. However at the time I had no temperature control and my beers were rather pot luck as to if too bitter on not and the extra sugar may raise the ABV but also makes it a little more bitter. I misread instructions Young's Harvest Scottish Heavy uses 1.5 kg sugar the rest of range use 1 kg and Young's Harvest Scottish Heavy was my normal brew so I used same with the Mild.
ericmark
Brewer