Coopers - Australian Lager

Kit Brewer, Tell us what you think of the kits you are making, what's good, what's bad, and what should we avoid.

Coopers - Australian Lager

Postby Aleman » Mon Sep 15, 2014 15:01

Done ;)

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Re: Coopers - Australian Lager

Postby sandimas » Mon Sep 15, 2014 17:33

First of all, this isn't really a lager as it uses an ale yeast (so higher fermenting temp), but that suited my needs as I'd run out of the Coopers European (true lager yeast) and needed something lagerish that I could brew at summer temps. I brewed it short to 20L with Enhancer, and made it with a hop tea of 30g of Hallertau, plus I dry hopped it with an additional 15g of Hallertau once the initial ferment had died down. I reckoned it would need all the help it could get to make it something like a decent hoppy lager :o Have found in the past that these Coopers kits can really benefit from a few additional hops. Came out at a respectable 4.5% ABV after 23 days of fermenting (last 5 days racked to a secondary FV in the cool).

Initial sample out of the FV wasn't promising (yuk :ill:) but warm flat lagers don't tend to taste good anyway. Bottled the lot, 2 weeks in the warm followed by 2 weeks in the fridge and had a sample - much better :) kit homebrew twang still present but tastes promising. Lagers normally need a good 3 months in the bottle to come good, so we'll see how it goes, but for a cheap quick "lager" it has potential.
sandimas
Brewer

Postby Zod » Mon Sep 29, 2014 16:54

what temperatures did you ferment this one at? I'm tempted by a lager kit but not sure how low I need to get the FV to.

Zod
Brewer

Postby Stew » Mon Sep 29, 2014 17:56

Zod wrote:what temperatures did you ferment this one at? I'm tempted by a lager kit but not sure how low I need to get the FV to.

I brewed this a few months ago and as the kit contains an ale yeast as opposed to a true lager yeast it can tolerate slightly higher fermentation temperatures of around 18-20c.

http://www.barbelquest.blogspot.com

Brewing: Nothing
Conditioning, Brewferm Abdji, Coopers Lager, Coopers Stout
Planning: Many things!!
Stew
Brewer

Postby Zod » Mon Sep 29, 2014 19:03

Stew wrote:
Zod wrote:what temperatures did you ferment this one at? I'm tempted by a lager kit but not sure how low I need to get the FV to.

I brewed this a few months ago and as the kit contains an ale yeast as opposed to a true lager yeast it can tolerate slightly higher fermentation temperatures of around 18-20c.

and what did you think of the end product?

Zod
Brewer

Postby Stew » Tue Sep 30, 2014 07:59

Zod,

Yes its a nice brew, more of a Pale Ale style than a true lager. I made it up with 1kg of light malt extract and a small size tin of syrup. Will make this one again but probably only use half the amount of malt and make it up with sugar instead.

Stew :cheers1:

http://www.barbelquest.blogspot.com

Brewing: Nothing
Conditioning, Brewferm Abdji, Coopers Lager, Coopers Stout
Planning: Many things!!
Stew
Brewer

Postby Zod » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:08

cheers Stew, good to know.

Zod
Brewer

Postby JDGBrew » Wed Oct 01, 2014 05:28

Just picked this up in the wilkos sale and got it on last night with a kg of dex.
Plan is to rack it onto around 1kg thawed raspberries after primary has finished.
Give it a week on those, re rack & bottle. S.G was 1.046, anything near 1.010 would be fine, 4.7%
So we'll see how this one turns out eh :cheers:

'I saw one guy loose a tooth lunging for a foaming mug and miss judging it'- Aleman

FV1 - Coopers Aus Lager (Raspberry)
FV2 - Coopers Stout
BBkt -...
Keg1 - nowt
Keg2 - Citra Wherry (left over from wedding......I didn't hide it?!)
Keg3 - Empty
Conditioning - Brewferm Grand Cru - Razorback - Youngs IPA 7.5%! Citra/Centennial Wilkos Golden Ale. Brewferm Tarwebier w/orange & coriander. Rioja 25 bottles
JDGBrew
Brewer

Postby Revelo » Sat Mar 14, 2015 17:34

Apologies for necromancing this thread, but was given one of these as a late birthday present, any good advice on how to get the best out of this? I know I'll be adding spraymalt into it for sure.

Finished (2015):
Brewmaker: Victorian Style Bitter - 23L
Woodfordes Wherry (with 1kg Spraymalt) - 23L
Coopers: Australian Pale Ale - 23L
Triple Tykes Special Export (with Finishing Hops) - 23L

Current
Woodfordes Wherry (with 1kg Spraymalt) - 23L
Dasher the Flasher - 23L

Planned (2016)
John Bull: Country Cider - 23L
Woodfordes: Nelsons Revenge - 23L
Revelo
Brewer

Postby sandimas » Sun Mar 15, 2015 17:18

I should have followed up my posting above from last Sept, but it's been too cold all winter to drink lager. Anyway, this has matured superbly, it's now really, really good 7 months after bottling: the hops are really coming through and it's really well balanced. So a combination of brewing short to 20L with Enhancer, addition of a Hallertau hop tea and dry hopping, and a long time stashed away in bottles has produced a real winner. :thumb:
sandimas
Brewer

Postby Wee_Dave » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:42

Got this on today, mixed it with a 1.5kg Mangrove Jacks Light LME. Used the kit yeast and an extra pack I had from a St Peters IPA.

Made up to 22l, pitched both yeast packs at 24 degrees. 1046... temp adjusted makes it 1.047 (according to Brewers Friend website.) Anything around 4% will do me. Got a mix of Galaxy and Topaz pellets to dry hop this with too.

No pictures as:
(a) Photobucket is a proper PITA currently
And
(b) To be honest, I really couldn't be bothered.
Wee_Dave
Brewer

Postby Wee_Dave » Sat Aug 19, 2017 18:17

Bottled this up this morning. 1.012, so between 4.5% and 4.8% abv.

I dry-hopped with about 20g Galaxy, which tastes absolutely great. I thought it was too little, but for my tastes it's just right. 36 pints, plus two 330ml testers too, so looking at around 59p per bottle. Bargain!

As it's been dry-hopped, it should be good to go as early as 6 weeks. But, 14th October is when I'll be ready to crack these. :thumb:
Wee_Dave
Brewer

Postby Wee_Dave » Tue Nov 07, 2017 20:38

Well, this doesn't appear to have carbed up sufficiently. Currently sitting beside the radiator in the home office.

Hopefully it'll make a difference.

Wee Dave

FV: Coopers Australian Lager (30g Galaxy dry hop)

Conditioning/Bottled:
Young's American Mocha Porter

Planning: St Peter's IPA (50g - Topaz and Galaxy - dry hop)

Currently Drinking: Store bought beer and occasionally a Turbo Cider until the stock levels are at a reasonable level :hat:
Wee_Dave
Brewer