Re: Wilkos - Golden Ale

Kit Brewer, Tell us what you think of the kits you are making, what's good, what's bad, and what should we avoid.

Postby JDGBrew » Sat Aug 16, 2014 15:04

Bought this in the wilkos sale for 12 quid..... Be rude not to I guess.

Thought I'd add a few extras to get it more in the APA style.

Going to brew this one with a Citra and centennial hop tea as well as a dry hop in secondary.
Probably chuck in 500g dextrose to up the abv and a sachet of us-05 for a clean ferment .
Will update as I go.

'I saw one guy loose a tooth lunging for a foaming mug and miss judging it'- Aleman

FV1 - Coopers Aus Lager (Raspberry)
FV2 - Coopers Stout
BBkt -...
Keg1 - nowt
Keg2 - Citra Wherry (left over from wedding......I didn't hide it?!)
Keg3 - Empty
Conditioning - Brewferm Grand Cru - Razorback - Youngs IPA 7.5%! Citra/Centennial Wilkos Golden Ale. Brewferm Tarwebier w/orange & coriander. Rioja 25 bottles
JDGBrew
Brewer

Re: Re: Wilkos - Golden Ale

Postby johnsaunders » Sat Aug 16, 2014 16:00

Looks good. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Formally known as cyberheater
johnsaunders
Brewer

Postby JDGBrew » Sat Aug 16, 2014 17:17

Should be an interesting one this I reckon

Hop tea ready for FV
(Roughly) 25g Citra & 25g Centennial + 1L boiling water.

'I saw one guy loose a tooth lunging for a foaming mug and miss judging it'- Aleman

FV2 - Coopers Stout
BBkt -...
Keg1 - nowt
Keg3 - Empty
Conditioning - Brewferm Grand Cru - Razorback - Youngs IPA 7.5%! Citra/Centennial Wilkos Golden Ale. Brewferm Tarwebier w/orange & coriander. Rioja 25 bottles
JDGBrew
Brewer

Postby JDGBrew » Sat Aug 16, 2014 18:24

Just finished getting this brew on.

Water: 2.7L hot water + Hop tea 25g Citra/25g Centennial 1L, Bottled water topped to 21L in FV
Pitching Temp: 19.9c
Gravity: 1053
Yeast: US-05
Sugar: 600g Dextrose

Was aiming for around the 1.050 mark. Went for 600g Dextrose for this, ended up pretty much there.

Trial jar tasted and smelt bloody brilliant, weirdly though, it reminded me of the golden stags I've done in recent months....very very similar but a tad more malty. Hopefully the US-05 will ferment this clean and after the dry hop of another 25g Citra & 25-40g Centennial should be a nice and hoppy APA(ish) brew.

Will keep this thread updated for anyone who's interested :cheers:

FV2 - Coopers Stout
BBkt -...
Keg1 - nowt
Keg3 - Empty
JDGBrew
Brewer

Postby matt666 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 20:51

I started this brew today, reckon you're right to add the hops - first taste was a little bland compared to other brews I've done.
matt666
Brewer

Postby JDGBrew » Sat Aug 16, 2014 21:26

Get it dry hopped!

I did read around over the course of a few nights trying to find as much info on this kit as I could. Going off what the majority said it can end up a wee bit bland and with the average abv around 3.7%, I fancied something more nearer the 5% mark myself! hence the added dex.
The centennial came from a review I saw on YouTube on an all grain golden ale with that and Citra, just trying the same thing out on this kit as it only set me back 12quid.
Let's see how things pan out eh.... :cheers:

FV2 - Coopers Stout
BBkt -...
Keg1 - nowt
Keg3 - Empty
JDGBrew
Brewer

Postby Zod » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:30

any update? Tempted by this as it's still £12 and I want to experiment with some hop additions myself.

Zod
Brewer

Postby JDGBrew » Mon Sep 15, 2014 20:58

Small update as just got back from honeymoon today and pretty shattered.

2nd Sep - Gravity went down to 1.006 giving an abv of 6.17%, going off my notes and shite memory it was nicely balanced with the additional hops, slight bittering. Nice floral hoppy aroma with it following into the taste. Hops taste hangs around.
Has been left in the outhouse since we went away so will bottle it up so,stome this ween when I can be ar$€s.

Cheers.

FV2 - Coopers Stout
BBkt -...
Keg1 - nowt
Keg3 - Empty
JDGBrew
Brewer

Postby JDGBrew » Fri Oct 03, 2014 20:19

Small update.
Just cracked a bottle of this open tonight, been a bit under the weather the last couple of days so thought I'd try this out. Been just shy of under two weeks in the bottle...... On opening you get hit with a massive floral aroma! Really really nice. I did end up using the rest of the Centennial hops I had for the dry hop (which was roughly around 75!) so 25g Citra & 25 Centennial hop tea, 30g Citra & 75g Centennial dry hop. Medium bitterness, great carbonation, head stays right to the bottom of the glass.
Taste: quite balanced for the amount of hops used. Medium mouthfeel. Slight bitterness. Amazing hop aroma & taste! Really really floral & slight citrusy. Hops stay around for quite a while after drinking.
After spending over a week in NYC on honeymoon, ruining myself with amazing AIPA's this seriously is on the money!
If anyone's up for a bottle swap I'm game!

This is up there with the best I've done so far. Reet up my street this one!
Give it another month and should be a belter! (if it lasts that long!)

Cheers :cheers:

FV2 - Coopers Stout
BBkt -...
Keg1 - nowt
Keg3 - Empty
JDGBrew
Brewer

Postby johnsaunders » Fri Oct 03, 2014 20:35

JDGBrew wrote:This is up there with the best I've done so far. Reet up my street this one!
Give it another month and should be a belter! (if it lasts that long!)

I have a feeling that it probably won't. ;)

Formally known as cyberheater
johnsaunders
Brewer

Postby JDGBrew » Sat Oct 04, 2014 14:41

Most probably so.....

as the 20% sales still on im off to buy another one later on today. Get it on next week when the hops arrive, not sure wether to do the same again (as this is one tasty brew!) or swap out the citra for amarillo...

FV2 - Coopers Stout
BBkt -...
Keg1 - nowt
Keg3 - Empty
JDGBrew
Brewer

Postby valleyred72 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 06:46

I've done 3 three of these. 1st as normal kit, 2nd dry hopped 30gm citra + 20gm cascade, 3rd 30gm cascade and 20gm citra.
The 3rd I had trouble clearing due to the unseasonably warm weather recently, but it finally has done and by God it's a great drink.
The golden ale kit will be my go-to stockbuilder for some time I reckon.
valleyred72
Brewer

Postby Wee_Dave » Wed Oct 08, 2014 20:38

Had a taster of my Wilko golden ale last night.

Tastes excellent. Fizzy (due to over-priming: my first foray into batch priming and I overdone it) but overall, I'm very happy with this.

Reckon I'll do another one of these full length with some extra dextrose (500g) to up the ABV. I'd batch prime it exactly the same too :D

When I bottled this, it was clear as a bell, but after priming and 2hrs in the fridge, it's a gone a bit dark and cloudy. :hmm:
Here's a pic:

Wee Dave

FV: Coopers Australian Lager (30g Galaxy dry hop)

Conditioning/Bottled:
Young's American Mocha Porter

Planning: St Peter's IPA (50g - Topaz and Galaxy - dry hop)

Currently Drinking: Store bought beer and occasionally a Turbo Cider until the stock levels are at a reasonable level :hat:
Wee_Dave
Brewer

Postby ZuluWhisky » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:34

Have one of these on at the moment - second ever kit. Slightly modified with 500g muntons brew enhancer and a dry hop with Citra.

Smells brilliant, just need to see how it turns out!
ZuluWhisky
Brewer

Postby JDGBrew » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:58

Mmmm Citra.
Good job I've built me stocks up as mine could dissappear very quickly otherwise.
I'm sure yours will be a belter!

FV2 - Coopers Stout
BBkt -...
Keg1 - nowt
Keg3 - Empty
JDGBrew
Brewer

Postby Zod » Wed Oct 15, 2014 13:21

these are my two stabs at this kit....

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4454

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4770

Zod
Brewer

Postby JDGBrew » Wed Oct 15, 2014 21:21

Good idea on splitting the kit it two brews.
The US05 ferments super clean so the hops come through really nicely.
You won't be disappointed with that one!

FV2 - Coopers Stout
BBkt -...
Keg1 - nowt
Keg3 - Empty
JDGBrew
Brewer

Postby Zod » Fri Oct 24, 2014 09:06

My experiment with this one using the US05 yeast and 100g of citra hops has turned out lovely after just 18 days in the bottle. Very pleased with the result

http://forum.craftbrewing.org.uk/viewto ... f=5&t=4454

Zod
Brewer

Postby Zod » Fri Dec 12, 2014 13:18

I'm currently drinking this one. It's very easy drinking, slightly sweet with a definite honey taste in the background. Nice but not amazing. Certainly benefits from the addition of a dry hop.

Zod
Brewer