Kilner Bitter Kit

Kit Brewer, Tell us what you think of the kits you are making, what's good, what's bad, and what should we avoid.

Kilner Bitter Kit

Postby Aleman » Mon Aug 11, 2014 09:33

As Requested By Zod

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Re: Kilner Bitter Kit

Postby Zod » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:00

This is a 3kg that comes in a bag rather than cans. Stated ABV is 3.8%, but I will never know what mine turned out to be as a screwed up the SG measurement. It was a present but it appears to be one of the more expensive kits around (£25-£30).

Pitched the yeast at 25c (it was during the heatwave). Left in the FV for 2 weeks at between 21c-24c. When siphoned into a keg for priming (caster sugar) it was already very clear. A further two weeks in the keg and this is what I got, a very clear, light brown beer with a good head. The taste is uncomplicated and a little sweet but very drinkable. Has a noticeable fizz in the mouth. Could probably do with additional hops to make it a bit more interesting.

Would I buy again? I think this would be good for a summer BBQ with a lot of friends, but I'd prefer something with more depth for drinking myself and for the price it seems there are better alternatives.

Zod
Brewer

Postby Zod » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:02

forgot to add - will update as the beer ages and report any differences over time.

Zod
Brewer

Postby johnsaunders » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:10

Looks like a very nice beer for 4 weeks of work.

Formally known as cyberheater
johnsaunders
Brewer

Postby Zod » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:17

cyberheater wrote:Looks like a very nice beer for 4 weeks of work.

as my first ever home brew I'm pleasantly surprised by it.

Zod
Brewer

Postby Zod » Fri Aug 15, 2014 19:58

Another week older and it has lost the overriding sweetness and has certainly become more bitter. Has still kept the syrupy nose. A very decent pint currently. Perfectly clear.

Zod
Brewer

Postby Zod » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:51

I eventually poured this down the drain. It lacked any carbonation after the first week and never lost that syrupy taste. This may have been down to high temps during fermentation and a possibly not airtight keg - would be very interested to hear how others got on with this one.

Zod
Brewer

Postby johnsaunders » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:04

It's horrible throwing away beer. Your keg doesn't sound air tight. Can you test it?

Formally known as cyberheater
johnsaunders
Brewer

Postby Zod » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:19

it's on my to do list....

Zod
Brewer

Postby Wyldthing » Sun Jan 18, 2015 18:24

Just brewed this, and now in bottles. So far, so good - I measured the OG around 1.030, and reached an FG of 1.008. I think perhaps the OG measurement was slightly out, as that leaves an ABV of 2.9%, whereas the kit is expected to be around 3.7%.

Progress was quite slow (might have been my fault with the temperature being on the low side), and it took around 19 days to finish fermenting. Snuck an early taste as it went into the bottles, and I think it's going to be ok... we'll see. Will update when I know more.
Wyldthing
Brewer