Re: Woodfordes - Headcracker

Kit Brewer, Tell us what you think of the kits you are making, what's good, what's bad, and what should we avoid.

Postby fore » Sun Aug 10, 2014 09:19

People talk about Festival kits as being expensive, but I look only at pence per pint, not kit price, and in that respect, this is by far the most expensive kit I have ever brewed. This is because it makes only 24 pints.

On that point, don’t make the same mistake as me. My fermenter is marked with all the common kit sizes, but not 24 pints, so I had to quickly figure out how to estimate 24 pints once I’d already poured in the extract. Turns out I slightly underestimated, but at 13 days in it sits at 1.017, which would give 6.7%, not too far from the 7% target.

I didn’t know what to expect from this kit at all, but I’m very much pleased by the initial test sample. Obviously I can’t report properly yet while it still ferments, but I know it’s going to be a sweet Leffe Brun style beer, and that’s right up my street. Looking forward to this!

EDIT: I forgot to mention the second problem I suffered while I was doing this kit. Given that you don't need add much cold water to make it up to 24 pints, the wort was still quite warm before pitching. Perhaps have some chilled water ready.

Cornie1: Bulldog - Evil Dog Double IPA
Cornie2: waiting
Cornie3: waiting
fore
Brewer

Re: Re: Woodfordes - Headcracker

Postby Chris2304 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 14:34

Thanks for the tip. Im thinking of knocking one of these up in time for Christmas - would love to know your thoughts in a couple of weeks.
Chris2304
Brewer

Postby fore » Sat Aug 23, 2014 23:04

I took a quick sneak. There was more ale flavour than I was expecting after my earlier sample, more bitterness. And quite a distinct malty flavour. So I'd now say like a mix of Leffe Brune & a strong ale.

fore
Brewer

Postby fore » Thu Aug 28, 2014 21:00

Right, I'm drinking this proper now and I stick to my last description, only to add that the malt flavour comes through strong. So it's like Leffe Brune, just slightly more bitter, and a lot more maltier. Less guess work going on here because I started this evening with 2 Leffe Brune then switched to Headcracker.

fore
Brewer

Postby Wee_Dave » Mon Sep 29, 2014 20:31

Made this up on 2nd July 2014. I wasn't thinking straight when I took the sample and forgot to write it down. I'm sure I got 1060... Also pitched around 26degs. It was a warm summer, so temp never got below 22degs.

On 14/07: FG was 1013, so approx 6.4%ABV. Got it bottled. 23 pints in a mix of 330ml and 500ml bottles. Works out about 92p a pint. 92p for a good, strong tasting, winter warming pint of beer will do for me.

26/07: Rattled most of them in the fridge to complete the carbing process. Rest in a cupboard in kitchen.

End August (around 4weeks in fridge): Had a wee taster and, although it had a nice taste to it, there was considerable room for improvement. Whilst the afterburn was definitely noticeable, it was not in anyway unpleasant. :electric:

I've had a second bottle since, and it's vastly improved. :D

Due for another this week, picture to follow..... :thumb:

Wee Dave

FV: Coopers Australian Lager (30g Galaxy dry hop)

Conditioning/Bottled:
Young's American Mocha Porter

Planning: St Peter's IPA (50g - Topaz and Galaxy - dry hop)

Currently Drinking: Store bought beer and occasionally a Turbo Cider until the stock levels are at a reasonable level :hat:
Wee_Dave
Brewer

Postby Chris2304 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 20:36

Thanks Dave. I've got the kit ready to go once I've freed up a FV, so it's great to get your thoughts.
Chris2304
Brewer

Postby Wee_Dave » Wed Oct 08, 2014 20:28

Here's a pic of the poured Headcracker.

It's a bit cloudy. It tastes good: you know that it's strong! Reckon 4 pints of this at Christmas and I'll either be the funniest guy at the party or the drunk numpty in the corner that everyone is avoiding!

My pitching warm, and warm ferment has not had any lasting effects to my uncultured palette. All in all, very happy with this.

Wee Dave

Conditioning/Bottled:

Currently Drinking: Store bought beer and occasionally a Turbo Cider until the stock levels are at a reasonable level :hat:
Wee_Dave
Brewer

Postby Chris2304 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 09:53

Four!?! I think two of those would have me legless these days!

I'm planning to get this brew on this weekend, which means it should just about be ready for Christmas. :pray:
Chris2304
Brewer

Postby Wee_Dave » Sat Apr 25, 2015 22:07

Wee update to this. Just cracked one of these tonight. I must say that, after 9 months in the bottle, this has developed into a lovely pint. You cannot tell it is 6.4% :whistle: :drunk:

Here's a pic from my phone (excuse poor light and camera quality -in reality it is far better looking) :lol:

Wee Dave

Conditioning/Bottled:

Wee_Dave
Brewer