Youngs - American IPA

Kit Brewer, Tell us what you think of the kits you are making, what's good, what's bad, and what should we avoid.

Re: Youngs - American IPA

Postby JamesMcS » Sun Aug 10, 2014 09:38

Got one of these on the go at the moment - huge bag of hops! I put them in right at the start for flavour rather than aroma, looking forward to trying it soon. The amber ale is awesome :-D
JamesMcS
Brewer

Postby fore » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:04

I'm preparing this right now. The box and contents are almost identical to the Festival range, which makes me think that Youngs & Richies both source from the same wholesaler. Differences are as follows:
Youngs comes with 20g yeast, Festival with 10g.
Youngs comes with 660g of dextrose, my 2 Festivals came with 110, but then Young's APA is a higher ABV.
Young's doesn't come with the little syphon hop stopper bag that comes with the Festival's; stingy.
Both come with malt in a pouch, but Young's is in one big pouch (3kg), while Festival comes in 2 pouches (2x1.5kg).

I'm not a fan of including dextrose in the kit; I already have plenty. I also think the 20g yeast might be overdone. They could easily shave a pound or two off the kit price with no dextrose and 10g yeast.

In such a high end kit, I was disappointed to find that the hops packet was not airtight. Both my festivals are fine, and given that the supplier is probably the same, I might just be unlucky. It's why I'm doing this kit first. Still, really looking forward to this; it will be my first ever dry hop.

Cornie1: Bulldog - Evil Dog Double IPA
Cornie2: waiting
Cornie3: waiting
fore
Brewer

Postby fore » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:08

Oops. Got mixed up with AIPA and APA; I'm doing APA. Still, I guess my comments stand as I refered only to how the kit arrives. I'll put my review of the finished beer in the right place ;)

fore
Brewer

Postby JamesMcS » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:22

I swapped the dextrose for light dme - the last kit I did with dextrose came out a bit watery for my taste
JamesMcS
Brewer

Postby JDGBrew » Sun Aug 10, 2014 13:49

Just writing a review to this myself, I'll just add a pic :)

Kicked this off last week, brew room smells bloody brilliant! Will add the hop bag after two weeks when is transferred to bottling bucket. Really looking forward to this one!

'I saw one guy loose a tooth lunging for a foaming mug and miss judging it'- Aleman

FV1 - Coopers Aus Lager (Raspberry)
FV2 - Coopers Stout
BBkt -...
Keg1 - nowt
Keg2 - Citra Wherry (left over from wedding......I didn't hide it?!)
Keg3 - Empty
Conditioning - Brewferm Grand Cru - Razorback - Youngs IPA 7.5%! Citra/Centennial Wilkos Golden Ale. Brewferm Tarwebier w/orange & coriander. Rioja 25 bottles
JDGBrew
Brewer

Postby fore » Sun Aug 10, 2014 15:18

That IS a lot of hops. APA comes with 60g.

fore
Brewer

Postby JDGBrew » Sat Aug 16, 2014 17:13

Just checked gravity reading and transferred to bottling bucket for dry hop.......
I think this yeast likes under my stairs a bit too much.... 1.003!
With the O.G. a nice 1.060 I make this 7.48% before bottle conditioning! Crikey! :drink:
Drank the trial jar as you do and its sweet, light and a tad bitter that hands around nicely.... You wouldn't guess is strength. It's there but not a harsh reminder is there. High hop'es for this now me thinks....

'I saw one guy loose a tooth lunging for a foaming mug and miss judging it'- Aleman

FV2 - Coopers Stout
BBkt -...
Keg1 - nowt
Keg3 - Empty
Conditioning - Brewferm Grand Cru - Razorback - Youngs IPA 7.5%! Citra/Centennial Wilkos Golden Ale. Brewferm Tarwebier w/orange & coriander. Rioja 25 bottles
JDGBrew
Brewer

Postby JDGBrew » Tue Sep 16, 2014 17:21

Taster update.
Been bottled for just shy of three weeks now. Chucked a bottle in the fridge earlier and cracked it open about half hour ago....
Was clear as a bell when it went into the fridge. Little chill haze going on.
Nose is really hoppy, fantastic aroma. The malts come through well also.
This kit definitely nails it in the style department. Super hoppy, medium bitterness, with a great malty backbone to it.
Great kit this! Will definitely be putting another on, probably do their new saison as well.

Will keep what I have left if this for another couple of months and try some samplers along the way :drink:
Cheers :cheers:

FV2 - Coopers Stout
BBkt -...
Keg1 - nowt
Keg3 - Empty
JDGBrew
Brewer

Postby johnsaunders » Tue Sep 16, 2014 17:33

Looks like a awesome brew JDGBrew. Well done.

1.003. I don't think I've ever seen a beer attenuate that low.

Formally known as cyberheater
johnsaunders
Brewer

Postby JDGBrew » Tue Sep 16, 2014 19:10

Cheers cyber :thumb:
Yeah couldn't believe it meself. I guess the 20g yeast sachet did a reet good job :thumb:
I think under my stairs sits at 18.5(ish) without that much fluctuation which I think could contribute to the cracking job the lil yeasties have done on this brew!

I do usually prefer a clean, hop forward ipa, But this kit with its malty backbone works so bloody well...shame I've only got 9 bottles left as me and a mate polished off a couple of mini kegs I filled with this the other week, very green but still a belting pint none the less!

Cheers :cheers:

FV2 - Coopers Stout
BBkt -...
Keg1 - nowt
Keg3 - Empty
JDGBrew
Brewer

Postby boost » Wed Dec 10, 2014 23:56

It's good stuff this. I've only tasted a sample at bottling time but it was the nicest flat beer I've had. Hop wise very close to my current favourite commercial beer which is devil's backbone ipa at spoons. You have to really like hoppy beers to appreciate it, but hoppy is my thing. My only gripe is the hops aren't in bag and can make for messy bottling.
boost
Brewer

Postby CJV8 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 16:21

This is all great to hear, I have one of these kits waiting to be done once Christmas is out the way.

Planning - An imperial barley wine
Brewing - Nowt
Conditioning - Plum port (and it'll be conditioning for another 9 years or so)
Drinking - many different beers, and plenty of whisky.
CJV8
Brewer

Postby bobby_d1978 » Tue May 05, 2015 22:50

Just cracked open my first bottle after a week and I have to say I'm looking forward to the next few weeks. Stunning pint. Very hoppy with very little bitterness. Close too the brewdog punk IPA.
bobby_d1978
Brewer

Postby JamesMcS » Wed May 06, 2015 10:52

I do remember that being a great kit. Doesn't last long!
JamesMcS
Brewer