Youngs Definitive Bitter

Kit Brewer, Tell us what you think of the kits you are making, what's good, what's bad, and what should we avoid.

Re: Youngs Definitive Bitter

Postby Timebond » Sun Jun 22, 2014 18:36

After reading varied reviews elsewhere I thought I would give this a try and I have to say that I think it turned out rather well.

Brewed with 400g Light DME & 600g Dextrose and gave an OG 1044. Sat in the FV for 3 weeks at 20C bubbling at a steady rate until it just stopped. 3 readings of 1012 (4.5% if my calculations are correct) so batch primed, bottled & left to carbonate for 2 weeks. Sampled a bottle before moving into the cool and really thought it was going to get the thumbs down. Watery, thin, no head but plenty of fizz and a weird taste.
However, now that it's had 3 weeks conditioning it's a different animal. Lovely IMHO. Good body, plenty of flavours, good head retention and I can pour the whole bottle pretty rapidly with no movement from the small amount of sediment.
I am now giving this the thumbs up :thumb:
Will definitely be giving this another go.
:cheers:
Timebond
Brewer

Postby LeithR » Sun Jun 22, 2014 20:17

I did one of these about 6 weeks ago and towards the end of fermentation I added a hop tea made out of of 50g of Citra hop pellets in a litre of water. Well worth trying - Most enjoyable pint.

Hop Tea - how to

Puppy Slacko 5.9.3 Linux user see HERE for details.

Searching for other planets? Why, this is the only one with beer!
LeithR
Brewer

Postby Pjam » Sun Jun 22, 2014 21:15

Hehhehhe, I always try one far too early ..... wish I could stop myself cus I know it'll be rubbish :roll:
Pjam
Brewer

Postby stout les » Sun Jun 22, 2014 22:27

Pjam wrote:Hehhehhe, I always try one far too early ..... wish I could stop myself cus I know it'll be rubbish :roll:

your definately not alone there..... & just as its tasting great there's none left :lol:
stout les
Brewer

Postby LeithR » Mon Jun 23, 2014 08:31

Its been said before but you need

Patience and more patience

Just relax and make more beer rather than drink the stuff you have.

Hop Tea - how to

Puppy Slacko 5.9.3 Linux user see HERE for details.

Searching for other planets? Why, this is the only one with beer!
LeithR
Brewer

Postby MrBoy » Wed Mar 16, 2016 17:16

I've just put this kit on myself. I didn't see any unadulterated reviews here ans since I understand it's more of a budget kit, I used 500g medium spraymalt and 500g light hopped (I think that's the name) instead of using any brewing sugar.

OG 1040@22L,20C. It was bubbling away like crazy with 24hrs for about 2 days and now has almost stopped so I guess the yeast was pretty happy. I used my shower head to fill the FV and it's the most aerated you've ever seen so maybe that's a factor. I haven't tried a gravity reading yet, figured I'll leave it at least a week before bothering.

Only issue I had was my spraymalt formed the most horrendous lumps, many as large as golf balls and very hard like nougat. I think I got them all to dissolve but was a little worried.
MrBoy
Brewer

Postby MrBoy » Tue Apr 19, 2016 00:00

So I bottled this two weeks ago and cracked one open last night:

11_1.jpg
11_1.jpg (163.3 KiB) Viewed 878 times
11_2.jpg
11_2.jpg (123.3 KiB) Viewed 878 times

I only got 3.7% possibly from using DME rather than sugar, but only 2 weeks out of the FV it is really very good; better the Woodfordes Wherry and even the St Peter's Ruby Red. Very clear, good head that was retained all the way down and just a lovely, unassuming pint of ale.

I have another of these kits as a gift so I'm glad!
MrBoy
Brewer

Postby chub1 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 16:20

3.7% isn't a bad figure really
More suppable :party: :party:
chub1
Brewer

Postby MrBoy » Tue Apr 19, 2016 16:51

Yeah. I can't remember if it was 4 or 4.2 I was aiming for. Initially it seemed to have stuck at 3.2 but I roused it and managed to get 3.6/3.7. I'm very happy with a 3% ale it's just the issue that I want it to come out as it should.

I also did this one as a one-FV "can't be arsed" brew - straight from the FV into bottles. I primed the bottles individually so am expecting a bit of variance in carbonation too!
MrBoy
Brewer

Postby chub1 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 18:38

My Wilko Hoppy Copper(carbing) did likewise, a few points under but not too concerned really, tasted reasonable out of the trial jar prior to bottling :drink:
chub1
Brewer