Woodfordes Wherry review.

Kit Brewer, Tell us what you think of the kits you are making, what's good, what's bad, and what should we avoid.

Re: Woodfordes Wherry review.

Postby Chris2304 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 22:58

Wow, my Wherry is something like 5 months old now and it just continues to get better and better. With the exception of clarity (it is clear, but not spectacularly transparent like with a commercial beer) it is the first kit beer I have brewed that I can honestly say tastes as good as the stuff on the supermarket shelves. It really is that good. I continue to be surprised by this kit.
Chris2304
Brewer

Postby johnsaunders » Sun Nov 09, 2014 02:16

I tasted a Wherry that I brewed at least 3 months ago and I'm really surprised how much it's changed. It's as clear as a bell and really does taste lovely.
Not a hint of home brew twang and no longer over bitter.

Formally known as cyberheater
johnsaunders
Brewer

Postby Revelo » Fri Feb 27, 2015 00:56

Was given one of these kits and another Pressure Barrel for my birthday so I've got this on the go in my FV tonight, I mixed it in with 1kg of the Wilko's Beer Kit Enhancer so hoping this will turn out as good as the reviews say!

Foolishly didn't rehydrate the yeast before I added it so worried I might also suffer from the stalled fermentation, I'll leave it for a week before I take a sample though and the watch it closely, the airlock is bubbling away slowly so I'm taking that as a good sign, seems like there wouldn't be too much trouble getting it going again mind.

Finished (2015):
Brewmaker: Victorian Style Bitter - 23L
Woodfordes Wherry (with 1kg Spraymalt) - 23L
Coopers: Australian Pale Ale - 23L
Triple Tykes Special Export (with Finishing Hops) - 23L

Current
Dasher the Flasher - 23L

Planned (2016)
John Bull: Country Cider - 23L
Woodfordes: Nelsons Revenge - 23L
Revelo
Brewer

Postby andy.m.7374 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 07:18

You added more sugar to it??

The wherry kit comes with all it needs in the two tons and I wouldn't worry about rehydrating the yeast, I've done 2 as it comes, 1 stuck (with added nutrient) and one just took a couple of weeks to ferment out.

The second one is being drunk now and is lovely, barrelled it late November and isn't going to last much longer....

Currently brewing wherry 3, but using safale us-04 yeast to see what difference that makes

Using Tapatalk
andy.m.7374
Brewer

Postby Revelo » Fri Feb 27, 2015 14:05

Well I added Spraymalt to it. if we used correct terminology, gave me a pretty good SG though but either way I'm committed to doing it now. Non one said I couldn't add it when I posted that question in another thread. Time will tell if this is a stroke of genius or madness

Finished (2015):

Current
Dasher the Flasher - 23L

Planned (2016)
Revelo
Brewer

Postby andy.m.7374 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 14:25

Hahaha fair one, should be an interesting few weeks :)

Using Tapatalk
andy.m.7374
Brewer

Postby Revelo » Fri Mar 06, 2015 01:04

So I took a sample today, even with the spraymalt it's actually not that bad tasting. What is notable was that with the Spraymalt my SG was 1.056, the sample registered a gravity of 1.016, and that's just with one weeks worth of fermenting!

I'm away this weekend so I'm going to check back on it on Tuesday and draw another sample then, although I suspect I could keg it now if I really wanted, but everyone seems to agree patience for this kit is really necessary so I'm not in any rush.

Finished (2015):

Current
Dasher the Flasher - 23L

Planned (2016)
Revelo
Brewer

Postby Revelo » Mon May 25, 2015 00:25

So after about 10 weeks in the keg I finally poured me a glass of this.

Bloody hell this is a good beer, even though the beer kit enchancer wasn't nessesary it really helped with the body and taste. After the problems I had with that leaky barrel it's turned out superbly well and I am recommending this to everyone. It does go down so easily (which is an issue when you have brewed something that's about 5.5% abv), not too bitter, nice colour to it.

Would like to try this again without adding the enhancer and seeing how it turns out.

Finished (2015):

Current
Dasher the Flasher - 23L

Planned (2016)
Revelo
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Mon May 25, 2015 11:35

wonder who has the longest matured wherry? I have a few bottles of a 16 month one that is simply fantastic!!

Kegged:
Simecoe APA (HBF Donation)

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby GAZ9053 » Mon May 25, 2015 17:59

Got a 5L keg at 12 months

First BIAB 15.03.15
First Grainfather 22.12.15

My kit wine how-to
GAZ9053
Brewer

Postby gregles » Sat Jun 06, 2015 00:44

Mine is at two weeks in the big plastic bucket. It paused for a rest at 1020 but a wee stir has helped things along.

I am turning into a bottle collector - it is getting worrying
gregles
Brewer

Postby Revelo » Sat Jun 06, 2015 16:05

This is mine after I opened it, so 3 months after I began brewing it. Amazed how clear it turned out, and very refreshing.

I'm wondering, has anyone modified the kit in any way and is so what did they do. The beer kit enhancer worked wonders for me.

Finished (2015):

Current
Dasher the Flasher - 23L

Planned (2016)
Revelo
Brewer

Postby mickthetrick » Sat Jun 06, 2015 19:18

i short brewed one to 4 gallons a couple years back. was put in a corny and left for 6 months. it turned out a really nice beer indeed.
id highly recommend short brewing it
mickthetrick
Brewer

Postby stan » Sat Jun 06, 2015 19:44

ON SALE AT TESCO DIRECT £16.50 AT THE MOMENT

Beer... Now there's a temporary solution.
-Homer Simpson-
stan
Brewer

Postby gregles » Thu Jun 11, 2015 00:14

Bottled my wherry this evening, after three weeks in the big tupperware. Tasted fab although still cloudy with a fair bit o' stuff floating on top . Got 41@500ml bottles and used my crown capper frae tescos in anger. It was a family effort and went really smoothly :-)
gregles
Brewer

Postby MrBoy » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:34

I got one of these for £15 in wilkos at the weekend. My second brew.

24 hours later I could see there'd been a fair bit of activity based on the 'tideline' up the side of the FV, but the krausen had reduced a lot and there's no airlock bubbling at all. By contrast my last kit was bubbling every 10-20s for a few days.

Could this be 'stuck' or am I just impatient and it's going slowly? I put it on Saturday afternoon and it's at 18-19 degrees C.
MrBoy
Brewer

Postby sandimas » Sat Oct 17, 2015 14:52

MrBoy wrote:Could this be 'stuck' or am I just impatient and it's going slowly? I put it on Saturday afternoon and it's at 18-19 degrees C.

Sadly it could be stuck, it's near the lower end of the temp limit - I've had Wherrys stick when the temps down around 18C. Only way to tell is to drop a hydrometer in, if it reads 1020 it's stuck.
sandimas
Brewer

Postby MrBoy » Sat Oct 17, 2015 18:35

I raised the temp to ~23 but too late - if that was the cause. It was definitely stuck but I added more yeast and a couple of days later it was at ~1.01. It was not looking or smelling great to be honest, and I wondered if I'd messed it about too much (I had to stick my arm in the FV to fix a leaking tap) but I racked it to a clean FV and moved it to my outside garage where it's sat at about 9C for a week, and when I tested it the other day it at least smelled and tasted like beer again so fingers crossed, it's saved!
MrBoy
Brewer

Postby MrBoy » Tue Oct 20, 2015 16:49

Quick query: my Wherry has now been sat in the cold for a week and a bit and is ready to bottle.

I brewed to 23L but after racking and various issues the FV has 20L in. What quantity of bog standard white sugar should I use to batch prime, and should I rack again to leave further sediment behind, or just mix the sugar into my FV and bottle? No idea how much sediment/trub is in the FV but it seems a bit sad to leave it still and then stir it all up!
MrBoy
Brewer

Postby Zod » Tue Oct 20, 2015 17:05

MrBoy wrote:Quick query: my Wherry has now been sat in the cold for a week and a bit and is ready to bottle.

I brewed to 23L but after racking and various issues the FV has 20L in. What quantity of bog standard white sugar should I use to batch prime, and should I rack again to leave further sediment behind, or just mix the sugar into my FV and bottle? No idea how much sediment/trub is in the FV but it seems a bit sad to leave it still and then stir it all up!

use this

http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

Zod
Brewer

Postby MrBoy » Tue Oct 20, 2015 17:37

The issue I've got is I fermented at 20-23C for 2 weeks, and it has now been at 9-10C for a week and a half. So I get between 64 and 90g suggested at 2.0 volumes (and I'm not really sure how many volumes to aim for!)

I'm aware of the calculator but was hoping someone experienced could give a good guesstimate what to use for a bog standard ale kit :) 80g?

Also - what do you reckon about re-racking Vs priming in the current FV (I already racked once so the trub was left behind)?
MrBoy
Brewer

Postby MonsieurBadgerCheese » Wed Oct 21, 2015 02:26

Hi,

Just ordered one of these, and some basic kit, as my first ever project. Not expecting miracles (as a newbie), but looking forward to having a go!

MBC
MonsieurBadgerCheese
Brewer

Postby MrBoy » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:12

Finally got mine bottled yesterday after batch-priming with 90g white sugar. Only got 20L out of it in the end but then I only had 19L of bottling capacity.

The last litre - which was a bit murky after tipping the FV to get it through the tap I put in the fridge and turned into a bitter shandy just to avoid chucking it out!
MrBoy
Brewer

Postby MrBoy » Wed Nov 04, 2015 21:20

So... after a lot of hassle my Wherry has now been bottled 13 days. I'm happy to announced that despite all kinds of problems, including having to stick my arm into the FV to stop a leaking tap (I felt like James Herriot!) it has turned out pretty well. I actually opened a bottle accidentally a couple of days ago thinking it was something else and it hadn't much fizz, but today I got a healthy hiss as I cracked the cap.

I don't actually know what the Wherry is supposed to taste like but it seems quite palatable. It tastes quite dark - a hint of liquorice - but is pretty smooth without any kind of nasty twang, and it has only just been bottled really.

What are the aging characteristics anyone? How long would you ideally leave it, when does it real it's best? What kind of ale actually IS it?
MrBoy
Brewer

Postby stan » Wed Nov 04, 2015 21:57

Done a few of the werrys they really improve after about 6 weeks in the bottle even. Better the longer you can leave them :thumb:

Beer... Now there's a temporary solution.
-Homer Simpson-
stan
Brewer

PreviousNext