Woodfordes Wherry review.

Kit Brewer, Tell us what you think of the kits you are making, what's good, what's bad, and what should we avoid.

Re: Woodfordes Wherry review.

Postby johnsaunders » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:19

Sqrson wrote:check the 'how to' section. There's a great bit by Aleman about rehydrating yeasts

The thing that's worried me is the differences of the water temperature relative to the yeast strain. I use beer kits and there is normally no identification on the yeast packet.

I think I might just buy additional yeast packets from Wilcos and pitch it all in.

Formally known as cyberheater
johnsaunders
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:13

Personally I would not worry too much about a stuck Wherry, Its not too hard to get it going again. mine stuck on my first kit but a bit of a stir and raising the temp slightly got it going. Couldn't of turned out too badly as it managed to pull a second in the kit beer category at the homebrew festival :)

Kegged:
Simecoe APA (HBF Donation)

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby Andyhull » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:16

What was first?
Andyhull
Brewer

Postby johnsaunders » Sun Aug 10, 2014 09:36

My first Wherry has been fermenting for 7 days. Specific Gravity is around 1.010 so no stuck fermentation here but I did throw in a extra packet of yeast.

It does taste quite bitter. Will that mellow out after a while?

johnsaunders
Brewer

Postby Pjam » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:23

cyberheater wrote:

Yes.

It does start of like that when too young and will take a while to calm down.
Pjam
Brewer

Postby johnsaunders » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:47

Pjam wrote:
cyberheater wrote:

Yes.

It does start of like that when too young and will take a while to calm down.

Thank you. Quite relieved to hear that.

I'm going to leave it in my primary fermenter for another week and then transfer it to a secondary fermenter for another 2 weeks and then bottle it.

Please lord let me have the patience to leave it a while :pray:

johnsaunders
Brewer

Postby AndyH » Wed Aug 20, 2014 20:42

Mine is 2 years matured in a pressure barrel and tastes amazing... not bitter at all, goes down waaaaaay too easy!
AndyH
Brewer

Postby stuart180 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 21:30

2 years!!!!

You sir are a saint!
stuart180
Brewer

Postby johnsaunders » Wed Aug 20, 2014 23:00

AndyH wrote:Mine is 2 years matured in a pressure barrel and tastes amazing... not bitter at all, goes down waaaaaay too easy!

2 years. That's incredible. I haven't manage to leave mine alone for 2 months.

johnsaunders
Brewer

Postby AndyH » Thu Aug 21, 2014 18:54

I think the fact I couldn't get in to the garage where I had stashed it without risking injury probably helped. However, the garage has been cleared now... well, I say cleared... there's a walkway through the middle of it... and a sofa... and a media server...

I think it's almost a man cave, or certainly on its way to becoming one :D
AndyH
Brewer

Postby johnsaunders » Thu Aug 21, 2014 20:04

AndyH wrote:there's a walkway through the middle of it... and a sofa... and a media server...

Sounds like a good place to hide :lol:

johnsaunders
Brewer

Postby JDGBrew » Sat Aug 23, 2014 08:46

Had my Citra wherry sat in a pressure barrel for a few weeks now. Tasted a sample at just over a week and was OK.
Took another sample last night to check pressure, as you do, and its bloody lovely mun. Gave it two weeks in fv then chucked in roughly 50g of Citra for around 6 days, crash cooled for two then barreled.
With the wilkos sale on I'm tempted to get another on the go, it really is good. Malty and hoppy, nice :drink:

'I saw one guy loose a tooth lunging for a foaming mug and miss judging it'- Aleman

FV1 - Coopers Aus Lager (Raspberry)
FV2 - Coopers Stout
BBkt -...
Keg1 - nowt
Keg2 - Citra Wherry (left over from wedding......I didn't hide it?!)
Keg3 - Empty
Conditioning - Brewferm Grand Cru - Razorback - Youngs IPA 7.5%! Citra/Centennial Wilkos Golden Ale. Brewferm Tarwebier w/orange & coriander. Rioja 25 bottles
JDGBrew
Brewer

Postby Chris2304 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 16:28

I feel I owe my Wherry an apology.

The fermentation got stuck and then the end product was too sweet and too malty for my taste. I felt a little silly for 'buying into' all the good reviews.

But then last night something amazing happened. It's been two or three weeks since I last tasted a bottle, and maybe two months since I brewed it, and it has morphed into something amazing. Im not sure I have the vocabulary or even knowledge to say why it was so nice, but here's an attempt: it still has sweet notes and a hint of malt/caramel, but they are now undertones to a lovely light, floral ale and offset by just the right amount of bitterness. As another review said, it just went down so easily.

So, Wherry: I am sorry. :notworthy:
Chris2304
Brewer

Postby Titaniumsalute » Sat Sep 06, 2014 23:23

Hi all,

New to this forum, I today picked up a Young's 'complete micro brewery kit' containing the seemingly infamous Wherry!

Fermentation is already ahoy, I have been reading through and seems this stalling issue could be in many cases due to the feeble quantity of yeast supplied in the kit, so my questions to you all are this; If I were to pick up an extra sachet of yeast would (a) adding it to the brew actually have a positive effect, if so how much and using what technique? And (b) is it acceptable / effective to do so at this stage?

Thanks in advance!
Titaniumsalute
Brewer

Postby liamtmt7 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 23:40

Chris2304 wrote:I feel I owe my Wherry an apology.

The fermentation got stuck and then the end product was too sweet and too malty for my taste. I felt a little silly for 'buying into' all the good reviews.

But then last night something amazing happened. It's been two or three weeks since I last tasted a bottle, and maybe two months since I brewed it, and it has morphed into something amazing. Im not sure I have the vocabulary or even knowledge to say why it was so nice, but here's an attempt: it still has sweet notes and a hint of malt/caramel, but they are now undertones to a lovely light, floral ale and offset by just the right amount of bitterness. As another review said, it just went down so easily.

So, Wherry: I am sorry. :notworthy:

Patience is a virtue. I brewed 8 kits before I went AG and the Wherry is in my top 3. Give it the time it deserves and it's a cracking kit - simple delicious

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
liamtmt7
Brewer

Postby johnsaunders » Sun Sep 07, 2014 01:06

Titaniumsalute wrote:Hi all,

New to this forum, I today picked up a Young's 'complete micro brewery kit' containing the seemingly infamous Wherry!

Fermentation is already ahoy, I have been reading through and seems this stalling issue could be in many cases due to the feeble quantity of yeast supplied in the kit, so my questions to you all are this; If I were to pick up an extra sachet of yeast would (a) adding it to the brew actually have a positive effect, if so how much and using what technique? And (b) is it acceptable / effective to do so at this stage?

Thanks in advance!

For now, leave the yeast to do it's work. If it gets stuck give it a gentle stir and it will come ready.

johnsaunders
Brewer

Postby Zod » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:47

Has anyone got any tasting notes for this kit? Just finished bottling my first and would like something to compare against when I crack the first one open.

Zod
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:58

All this talk has made me want to get another batch on!!!! Now that my first AG is carbonating I may as well put another wherry on and then hide it until TST!

Kegged:
Simecoe APA (HBF Donation)

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby sandimas » Sun Sep 21, 2014 09:24

Regarding Wherry getting stuck around 1020, it's a common thing and adding a teaspoon or two of yeast nutrient at the start will greatly reduce the chance of this happening.

Wherry is a great kit, even now 3 years into my homebrewing career I still do it occasionally. Does benefit from a couple of months to mature. And was kinda disappointed when I tried the real thing in a London pub recently, not the same as the kit and not as nice IMHO.
sandimas
Brewer

Postby JDGBrew » Fri Oct 10, 2014 17:17

Have been that busy brewing recently, forgot I managed to keep pretty much a full keg of Citra wherry from my wedding..... I didn't hide it just 'forgot' to put up the sign I made for it.... :whistle:
Anyway.... Just pulled a quick half to see how it tastes...
Clear as a bell, it's nearing three months now. Really really smooth miles better than the last one I brewed, but that did get supped up super quick (within a month)
The Citra has mellowed significantly and tastes bloody lovely.
This will definitely be an Xmas keeper as got loads to get through as is.
Cheers :cheers:

'I saw one guy loose a tooth lunging for a foaming mug and miss judging it'- Aleman

FV1 - Coopers Aus Lager (Raspberry)
FV2 - Coopers Stout
BBkt -...
Keg1 - nowt
Keg2 - Citra Wherry (left over from wedding......I didn't hide it?!)
Keg3 - Empty
Conditioning - Brewferm Grand Cru - Razorback - Youngs IPA 7.5%! Citra/Centennial Wilkos Golden Ale. Brewferm Tarwebier w/orange & coriander. Rioja 25 bottles
JDGBrew
Brewer

Postby Robdob » Tue Oct 28, 2014 20:14

cyberheater wrote:My first Wherry has been fermenting for 7 days. Specific Gravity is around 1.010 so no stuck fermentation here but I did throw in a extra packet of yeast.

Why has my Wherry (my first brew) taken 2 weeks to ferment to 1.013? It started at 1.055 and I did double check my hydrometer in water at 20degs.C I thought that the SG was quite high compared to others I've read about. I have my FV in a built in wardrobe with a convector heater keeping the temp at 20. Was this too hot so took longer. I still am getting the odd gas escape through the bubbler so is it not quite finished yet? Don't want to mess up at this stage.....it didn't taste too bad( couldn't resist)
Robdob
Brewer

Postby supersteve » Tue Oct 28, 2014 20:24

Robdob wrote:
cyberheater wrote:My first Wherry has been fermenting for 7 days. Specific Gravity is around 1.010 so no stuck fermentation here but I did throw in a extra packet of yeast.

Why has my Wherry (my first brew) taken 2 weeks to ferment to 1.013? It started at 1.055 and I did double check my hydrometer in water at 20degs.C I thought that the SG was quite high compared to others I've read about. I have my FV in a built in wardrobe with a convector heater keeping the temp at 20. Was this too hot so took longer. I still am getting the odd gas escape through the bubbler so is it not quite finished yet? Don't want to mess up at this stage.....it didn't taste too bad( couldn't resist)

It could have finished. 1.013 isn't a bad FG. 20c is fine for temp, and the hotter the yeast the quicker they work.

If you think it hasn't stopped then keep checking every day for a few days and if it stays at 1.013 then it has probably stopped. :thumb:
supersteve
Brewer

Postby Robdob » Tue Oct 28, 2014 20:31

supersteve wrote:
It could have finished. 1.013 isn't a bad FG. 20c is fine for temp, and the hotter the yeast the quicker they work.

If you think it hasn't stopped then keep checking every day for a few days and if it stays at 1.013 then it has probably stopped. :thumb:

Cheers Steve, that was my plan to keep checking daily now , not long till the bottling now :D
Robdob
Brewer

Postby Robdob » Sat Nov 01, 2014 09:48

Well, it seems to be still going! The airlock does the odd bubble still so I guess the patience thing is now required! Yesterday's sample... 1.012
Robdob
Brewer

Postby Rwilts » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:21

Airlock could be co2 escaping from the beer and your new reading might be the same as your old. As it's only 1 different. Won't do any harm to let it run just for info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

' This is solemnly promise - I need to get brewing again '

And i have done it !!!!!

Cornie 1. Empty
Cornie 2. Empty
Cornie 3. Empty
Cornie 4. Empty
Rwilts
Brewer

PreviousNext