Woodfordes Wherry review.

Kit Brewer, Tell us what you think of the kits you are making, what's good, what's bad, and what should we avoid.

Woodfordes Wherry review.

Postby stuart180 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 14:14

Brewed this up around 5 weeks ago now.
Was my first ever kit and I have to say, it's turned out beautifully.
Really can't believe that such a nice pint can come from a home-brew! (I'm well and truly hooked!)

I brewed up as per the instructions, absolutely nothing added other than what the instructions directed.

OG of 1.044
FG of 1.010

To give me an ABV of 4%

I batch primed after 10 days using 75g of wilko brewing sugar (bottled up 6 pints also).

The barrel has plenty of life in it (really have to be carful when pulling a pint out as it shoots out if you're not going easy with the tap).

I've tried a pint (or 2) every week and I can 100% say that the flavour honestly changes with age…. now, after a month of clearing it's lost any sort of 'twang' and turned into a seriously decent tasting pint (honestly, it's hard to get across at how impressed I am with this home-brew).

As it's my first kit I really have nothing to compare to other than those that are commercially available, so to directly compare - I'd honestly say this is a near on a perfect pint you'd pay top whack for.

Would I brew it again?…. YES! (and thanks to Wilkos 25% off sale, I will be brewing it again shortly! ;-)

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to any other beginners.

The finished product -
(cheers)
stuart180
Brewer

Re: Woodfordes Wherry review.

Postby Mattyhall22 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 14:57

I also recommend this kit, brewed mine short to 21L, and it made a brilliant pint. Have still got a few bottles that are now about 5 months old and they taste fantastic.

I didn't have any fermentation problems, however to anyone that seems to get a stuck fermentation at 1.020 give it a gentle stir without splashing and see if that kicks it back in, if not re-pitch some more yeast.

A definite kit for people to try ( I would put my brew day pics up but as took them on tapatalk and sent them to "the darkside" so have lost them)

:thumb:
Mattyhall22
Brewer

Postby supersteve » Mon Apr 07, 2014 18:36

Love this brew, got this kit in now and I'm probably going to dry hop it and add some DME :cheers:
supersteve
Brewer

Postby Dusty » Mon Apr 07, 2014 21:13

It really is worth dry hopping it,I use EKG or Centennial :thumb:
Dusty
Brewer

Postby GrahamT » Mon Apr 07, 2014 21:34

If the 'old' forum Wherry page is anything to go by, this Topic will run to many, many, pages!

Let me get in early and say that I reckon I did 30 or 40 kits from the mid 90s until 2013 and, while admittedly many of them were in the earlier part of that period, the Wherry is the one I would repeat first if I wasn't able to do an all grain brew. That said, I did dry hop it (40g EKG pellets), brewed it short to 21.5L and pitched more than just the 6g of yeast provided.

In the pages that are likely to follow, there may well be reports of this kit 'sticking', probably around the 1.020 mark. While a great number of successful brews will be reported despite sprinkling the feeble 6g dry yeast straight onto the wort, I promise you there will be very few tales of this kit sticking where the yeast has been properly rehydrated and when at least 11g has been pitched.

Busy in the Summer House Brewery
GrahamT
Brewer

Postby Bad 'Ed » Wed Apr 09, 2014 01:32

I brewed this once. Managed to snatch a boring bitter out of the jaws of excellence.

AG is much easier.

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer

Postby BIGJIM72 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 01:38

Graham wrote:If the 'old' forum Wherry page is anything to go by, this Topic will run to many, many, pages!

Let me get in early and say that I reckon I did 30 or 40 kits from the mid 90s until 2013 and, while admittedly many of them were in the earlier part of that period, the Wherry is the one I would repeat first if I wasn't able to do an all grain brew. That said, I did dry hop it (40g EKG pellets), brewed it short to 21.5L and pitched more than just the 6g of yeast provided.

In the pages that are likely to follow, there may well be reports of this kit 'sticking', probably around the 1.020 mark. While a great number of successful brews will be reported despite sprinkling the feeble 6g dry yeast straight onto the wort, I promise you there will be very few tales of this kit sticking where the yeast has been properly rehydrated and when at least 11g has been pitched.

Please can we kill it now,lock the thread & never mention wherry again? Yes I was very happy with the first one I made, but please lets not bring the 20 step plan to improving Wherry with us. In modern talk I think the phrase is Bitch,please-this is a beer forum

I have a medical condition- I am fool intolerant.

Brewing,baking & grilling up a storm in South London
BIGJIM72
Brewer

Postby stuart180 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 09:30

BIGJIM72 wrote:
Graham wrote:If the 'old' forum Wherry page is anything to go by, this Topic will run to many, many, pages!

Please can we kill it now,lock the thread & never mention wherry again? Yes I was very happy with the first one I made, but please lets not bring the 20 step plan to improving Wherry with us. In modern talk I think the phrase is Bitch,please-this is a beer forum

Snob alert!
stuart180
Brewer

Postby BIGJIM72 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 09:34

Only joking-it will have to be here for new members!

BIGJIM72
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 09:36

I made this in February and its cracking! bought another one yesterday well..... because its only £14 in the sale! Dad was impressed it was a home brew and has said he has had plenty of beers at a pub that have been a lot worse! praise indeed!

Kegged:
Simecoe APA (HBF Donation)

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby stuart180 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 09:47

BIGJIM72 wrote:Only joking-it will have to be here for new members!

:D

I can why seasoned AG brewers might raise an eyebrow at Kits, but honestly, as a complete novice, it's been a fantastic avenue into the world of brewing.
I'd like to do a few more kits before even thinking about an AG brew from scratch.

(Just thinking about the kit you guys have built make my head hurt! lol)
stuart180
Brewer

Postby BIGJIM72 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:07

If you get it right -it is probably the best entry kit. I made enough of it myself! Kits will teach you a lot about cleanliness & fermentation control. I thoroughly approve of that. As it is probably the easiest kit to get hold of,there are going to be loads of questions & posts.

Over the years I have seen so many posts about it I start to twitch when WW is mentioned. Why? Cause all the posts fall into these categories
Its great
Its stuck
I added an extra 25kg of sugar now its not bubbling

It might just be easier to create a Wherry section & stick everything in there....

BIGJIM72
Brewer

Postby Blueface » Wed Apr 09, 2014 14:57

Brought this today to make in the near future £19 a good price I been told

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Brewing
FV1
Wineworks Premium Peach Chablis Rosé Wine Kit
FV2
Beerworks Southern Gold Digger Premium Lager
DJ1
RGJ and AJ Wine
DJ2
TurboCider with Cherry
DJ3
WOW No 1
DJ4
Pineapple and AJ wine(trial)
DJ5
Tea Wine (Strawberry raspberry)

Bottle conditioning
Wilko 6 bottle Wine Starter Kit Chardonnay
8 Bottles of my 1st Tubo Cider
Ready to drink
Nothing yet :-(
Blueface
Brewer

Postby Gethin79 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 20:21

Just cracked open my first bottle of this...far too early as only just carbonated, but a few beers beforehand helped the decision making process!!

This is very promising. To me it tastes a lot like London Pride. Will wait a few more weeks to make my full review, but happy enough with it as it is, albeit still a little cloudy!! Must work on my patience!
Gethin79
Brewer

Postby Crankwood » Tue Apr 15, 2014 14:10

I read pages and pages of positive reviews on this kit so bought one and hated it. I assumed I must have done something wrong so brewed it again and hated it. 3rd time lucky I thought, did everything spot on. temp controlled fermentation and bottling, hated it again. I am useless at describing taste and flavour but to me they were all too fruity and what I put down to esters? Its not for me.

Please feel free to ignore this and read the pages and pages that will follow from people who love it,
Crankwood
Brewer

Postby stuart180 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 14:15

Well, they (Woodford's) describe it like -

Fresh and zesty with crisp floral flavours. A background of sweet malt and a hoppy 'grapefruit' bitter finish characterises this champion bitter.

What commercial ales do you like?
stuart180
Brewer

Postby Slid » Fri Apr 18, 2014 19:35

Well - First taste of Wherry No 1 today.
Very impressed.
Now it seems like a good idea to have bought 4 more!

This first one was done to 22.5 L with 500g of sugar and bottled a bit cloudy, as I then thought, on 9 Feb 2014.
Poured it very carefully today out of the 2L PET bottle into pint glass, then, same pouring action, a jug and the last bit into a little glass. All the yeast seemed to drop right into the little glass, almost none stuck in the PET bottle. Very odd.

The poured out beer in the glass and jug was really pretty clear and very bitter taste, too. The little glass, so cloudy I didn't bother thinking about drinking it, which is against the rules. Is the Wherry yeast the same as all the Muntons / Wilko kits? It just never seems to flocculate and stick to the bottom.
Am I being unfair (or just wrong)?

:drink:
Slid
Brewer

Postby JDGBrew » Thu May 15, 2014 21:34

Just got round to bottling my wherry today. Went pretty smoothly.
Ended up with 33 500ml. 1L PET & 2L PET.
Brewed to 20L, Three weeks in FV at 18-19.5o. SG: 1043 - FG: 1008 comes out at 4.6 prior to bottle conditioning.

'I saw one guy loose a tooth lunging for a foaming mug and miss judging it'- Aleman

FV1 - Coopers Aus Lager (Raspberry)
FV2 - Coopers Stout
BBkt -...
Keg1 - nowt
Keg2 - Citra Wherry (left over from wedding......I didn't hide it?!)
Keg3 - Empty
Conditioning - Brewferm Grand Cru - Razorback - Youngs IPA 7.5%! Citra/Centennial Wilkos Golden Ale. Brewferm Tarwebier w/orange & coriander. Rioja 25 bottles
JDGBrew
Brewer

Postby serum » Wed May 21, 2014 07:05

A very popular kit with good reason.

I made mine to 20L to get an extra kick and even after 2 weeks in the bottle it was very drinkable. It's developed a lot more body since then and is a cracking pint. I'd say it's the second best kit I've done but the St Peters Ruby Red just pips it.

FV - Altbier
Bottled: Blond & Amber Biere De Garde, Blond & Amber French Ale, Belgian Pale
Planned: More Altbier, Kolsch, XX Bitter Clone
serum
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Wed May 21, 2014 08:15

I entered the wherry in the competition for kits and ended up with a third! I had also made some ruby red for the bar but only bottled one bottle which was outstanding! regretting not bottling more to enter into the comp! However, as it wasn't used at the festival I'm planning on hooking it up to the beer engine next month and having a few friends round! :D

Kegged:
Simecoe APA (HBF Donation)

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby Chris2304 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:41

I'm currently brewing this. I used the standard yeast, and didn't rehydrate it first (I assumed the 'stuck' fermentation was either an urban myth or that Woodfordes would have fixed it by now).

Despite the warm temperature, I got then got the dreaded 'stuck' fermentation (hydrometer reading of 1.18 for days 5-7).

A good stir of the FV and some good fortune appear to have kick-started the fermentation again. It's a relief, but - contrary to the consensus - I think that a more reliable kit might be a better first brew for the complete beginner.
Chris2304
Brewer

Postby andy.m.7374 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:29

I don't know, with it being a well known problem it light actually give a beginner the confidence that some problems can be overcome and still have a great beer :)

I too had it stick on me and a quick read here and a stir of the bucket resulted in it getting barrelled a week later and within 8 weeks of barrelling it vanished on me :):)

Using Tapatalk
andy.m.7374
Brewer

Postby Kermie » Tue Jul 15, 2014 13:50

My boyfriend made this kit for his first ever kit, and has made a couple more since then (since January this year) and they have all turned out lovely. Better thatn some beers I have tried in the pub. He has not had any problems with the kit. I hope that yours turns out ok Chris.
Kermie
Brewer

Postby johnsaunders » Mon Jul 28, 2014 17:18

I've just bought 2 of these kits due to the Wilcos sale and I'm a bit worried it might get stuck. How do I rehydrate the yeast prior to pitching.

Formally known as cyberheater
johnsaunders
Brewer

Postby Sqrson » Mon Jul 28, 2014 19:25

check the 'how to' section. There's a great bit by Aleman about rehydrating yeasts

“In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is Freedom, in water there is bacteria.”
Sqrson
Brewer

Next