Page 1 of 4

Woodfordes Wherry review.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 14:14
by stuart180
Brewed this up around 5 weeks ago now.
Was my first ever kit and I have to say, it's turned out beautifully.
Really can't believe that such a nice pint can come from a home-brew! (I'm well and truly hooked!)

I brewed up as per the instructions, absolutely nothing added other than what the instructions directed.

OG of 1.044
FG of 1.010

To give me an ABV of 4%

I batch primed after 10 days using 75g of wilko brewing sugar (bottled up 6 pints also).

The barrel has plenty of life in it (really have to be carful when pulling a pint out as it shoots out if you're not going easy with the tap).

I've tried a pint (or 2) every week and I can 100% say that the flavour honestly changes with age…. now, after a month of clearing it's lost any sort of 'twang' and turned into a seriously decent tasting pint (honestly, it's hard to get across at how impressed I am with this home-brew).

As it's my first kit I really have nothing to compare to other than those that are commercially available, so to directly compare - I'd honestly say this is a near on a perfect pint you'd pay top whack for.

Would I brew it again?…. YES! (and thanks to Wilkos 25% off sale, I will be brewing it again shortly! ;-)

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to any other beginners.

The finished product -
(cheers)
Image

Re: Woodfordes Wherry review.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 14:57
by Mattyhall22
I also recommend this kit, brewed mine short to 21L, and it made a brilliant pint. Have still got a few bottles that are now about 5 months old and they taste fantastic.

I didn't have any fermentation problems, however to anyone that seems to get a stuck fermentation at 1.020 give it a gentle stir without splashing and see if that kicks it back in, if not re-pitch some more yeast.

A definite kit for people to try ( I would put my brew day pics up but as took them on tapatalk and sent them to "the darkside" so have lost them)

:thumb:

Re: Woodfordes Wherry review.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 18:36
by supersteve
Love this brew, got this kit in now and I'm probably going to dry hop it and add some DME :cheers:

Re: Woodfordes Wherry review.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 21:13
by Dusty
It really is worth dry hopping it,I use EKG or Centennial :thumb:

Re: Woodfordes Wherry review.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 21:34
by GrahamT
If the 'old' forum Wherry page is anything to go by, this Topic will run to many, many, pages!

Let me get in early and say that I reckon I did 30 or 40 kits from the mid 90s until 2013 and, while admittedly many of them were in the earlier part of that period, the Wherry is the one I would repeat first if I wasn't able to do an all grain brew. That said, I did dry hop it (40g EKG pellets), brewed it short to 21.5L and pitched more than just the 6g of yeast provided.

In the pages that are likely to follow, there may well be reports of this kit 'sticking', probably around the 1.020 mark. While a great number of successful brews will be reported despite sprinkling the feeble 6g dry yeast straight onto the wort, I promise you there will be very few tales of this kit sticking where the yeast has been properly rehydrated and when at least 11g has been pitched.

Re: Woodfordes Wherry review.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 01:32
by Bad 'Ed
I brewed this once. Managed to snatch a boring bitter out of the jaws of excellence.

AG is much easier.

Re: Woodfordes Wherry review.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 01:38
by BIGJIM72
Graham wrote:If the 'old' forum Wherry page is anything to go by, this Topic will run to many, many, pages!

Let me get in early and say that I reckon I did 30 or 40 kits from the mid 90s until 2013 and, while admittedly many of them were in the earlier part of that period, the Wherry is the one I would repeat first if I wasn't able to do an all grain brew. That said, I did dry hop it (40g EKG pellets), brewed it short to 21.5L and pitched more than just the 6g of yeast provided.

In the pages that are likely to follow, there may well be reports of this kit 'sticking', probably around the 1.020 mark. While a great number of successful brews will be reported despite sprinkling the feeble 6g dry yeast straight onto the wort, I promise you there will be very few tales of this kit sticking where the yeast has been properly rehydrated and when at least 11g has been pitched.


Please can we kill it now,lock the thread & never mention wherry again? Yes I was very happy with the first one I made, but please lets not bring the 20 step plan to improving Wherry with us. In modern talk I think the phrase is Bitch,please-this is a beer forum

Re: Woodfordes Wherry review.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 09:30
by stuart180
BIGJIM72 wrote:
Graham wrote:If the 'old' forum Wherry page is anything to go by, this Topic will run to many, many, pages!

Let me get in early and say that I reckon I did 30 or 40 kits from the mid 90s until 2013 and, while admittedly many of them were in the earlier part of that period, the Wherry is the one I would repeat first if I wasn't able to do an all grain brew. That said, I did dry hop it (40g EKG pellets), brewed it short to 21.5L and pitched more than just the 6g of yeast provided.

In the pages that are likely to follow, there may well be reports of this kit 'sticking', probably around the 1.020 mark. While a great number of successful brews will be reported despite sprinkling the feeble 6g dry yeast straight onto the wort, I promise you there will be very few tales of this kit sticking where the yeast has been properly rehydrated and when at least 11g has been pitched.


Please can we kill it now,lock the thread & never mention wherry again? Yes I was very happy with the first one I made, but please lets not bring the 20 step plan to improving Wherry with us. In modern talk I think the phrase is Bitch,please-this is a beer forum


Snob alert!

Re: Woodfordes Wherry review.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 09:34
by BIGJIM72
Only joking-it will have to be here for new members!

Re: Woodfordes Wherry review.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 09:36
by krazypara3165
I made this in February and its cracking! bought another one yesterday well..... because its only £14 in the sale! Dad was impressed it was a home brew and has said he has had plenty of beers at a pub that have been a lot worse! praise indeed!

Re: Woodfordes Wherry review.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 09:47
by stuart180
BIGJIM72 wrote:Only joking-it will have to be here for new members!


:D

I can why seasoned AG brewers might raise an eyebrow at Kits, but honestly, as a complete novice, it's been a fantastic avenue into the world of brewing.
I'd like to do a few more kits before even thinking about an AG brew from scratch.

(Just thinking about the kit you guys have built make my head hurt! lol)

Re: Woodfordes Wherry review.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:07
by BIGJIM72
If you get it right -it is probably the best entry kit. I made enough of it myself! Kits will teach you a lot about cleanliness & fermentation control. I thoroughly approve of that. As it is probably the easiest kit to get hold of,there are going to be loads of questions & posts.

Over the years I have seen so many posts about it I start to twitch when WW is mentioned. Why? Cause all the posts fall into these categories
Its great
Its stuck
I added an extra 25kg of sugar now its not bubbling

It might just be easier to create a Wherry section & stick everything in there....

Re: Woodfordes Wherry review.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 14:57
by Blueface
Brought this today to make in the near future £19 a good price I been told

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Re: Woodfordes Wherry review.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 20:21
by Gethin79
Just cracked open my first bottle of this...far too early as only just carbonated, but a few beers beforehand helped the decision making process!!

This is very promising. To me it tastes a lot like London Pride. Will wait a few more weeks to make my full review, but happy enough with it as it is, albeit still a little cloudy!! Must work on my patience!

Re: Woodfordes Wherry review.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 14:10
by Crankwood
I read pages and pages of positive reviews on this kit so bought one and hated it. I assumed I must have done something wrong so brewed it again and hated it. 3rd time lucky I thought, did everything spot on. temp controlled fermentation and bottling, hated it again. I am useless at describing taste and flavour but to me they were all too fruity and what I put down to esters? Its not for me.

Please feel free to ignore this and read the pages and pages that will follow from people who love it,

Re: Woodfordes Wherry review.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 14:15
by stuart180
Well, they (Woodford's) describe it like -

Fresh and zesty with crisp floral flavours. A background of sweet malt and a hoppy 'grapefruit' bitter finish characterises this champion bitter.


What commercial ales do you like?

Re: Woodfordes Wherry review.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 19:35
by Slid
Well - First taste of Wherry No 1 today.
Very impressed.
Now it seems like a good idea to have bought 4 more!

This first one was done to 22.5 L with 500g of sugar and bottled a bit cloudy, as I then thought, on 9 Feb 2014.
Poured it very carefully today out of the 2L PET bottle into pint glass, then, same pouring action, a jug and the last bit into a little glass. All the yeast seemed to drop right into the little glass, almost none stuck in the PET bottle. Very odd.

The poured out beer in the glass and jug was really pretty clear and very bitter taste, too. The little glass, so cloudy I didn't bother thinking about drinking it, which is against the rules. Is the Wherry yeast the same as all the Muntons / Wilko kits? It just never seems to flocculate and stick to the bottom.
Am I being unfair (or just wrong)?

:drink:

Re: Woodfordes Wherry review.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 21:34
by JDGBrew
Just got round to bottling my wherry today. Went pretty smoothly.
Ended up with 33 500ml. 1L PET & 2L PET.
Brewed to 20L, Three weeks in FV at 18-19.5o. SG: 1043 - FG: 1008 comes out at 4.6 prior to bottle conditioning.
Image
Image
Image

Re: Woodfordes Wherry review.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 07:05
by serum
A very popular kit with good reason.

I made mine to 20L to get an extra kick and even after 2 weeks in the bottle it was very drinkable. It's developed a lot more body since then and is a cracking pint. I'd say it's the second best kit I've done but the St Peters Ruby Red just pips it.

Re: Woodfordes Wherry review.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 08:15
by krazypara3165
I entered the wherry in the competition for kits and ended up with a third! I had also made some ruby red for the bar but only bottled one bottle which was outstanding! regretting not bottling more to enter into the comp! However, as it wasn't used at the festival I'm planning on hooking it up to the beer engine next month and having a few friends round! :D

Re: Woodfordes Wherry review.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:41
by Chris2304
I'm currently brewing this. I used the standard yeast, and didn't rehydrate it first (I assumed the 'stuck' fermentation was either an urban myth or that Woodfordes would have fixed it by now).

Despite the warm temperature, I got then got the dreaded 'stuck' fermentation (hydrometer reading of 1.18 for days 5-7).

A good stir of the FV and some good fortune appear to have kick-started the fermentation again. It's a relief, but - contrary to the consensus - I think that a more reliable kit might be a better first brew for the complete beginner.

Re: Woodfordes Wherry review.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:29
by andy.m.7374
I don't know, with it being a well known problem it light actually give a beginner the confidence that some problems can be overcome and still have a great beer :)

I too had it stick on me and a quick read here and a stir of the bucket resulted in it getting barrelled a week later and within 8 weeks of barrelling it vanished on me :):)

Re: Woodfordes Wherry review.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 13:50
by Kermie
My boyfriend made this kit for his first ever kit, and has made a couple more since then (since January this year) and they have all turned out lovely. Better thatn some beers I have tried in the pub. He has not had any problems with the kit. I hope that yours turns out ok Chris.

Re: Woodfordes Wherry review.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 17:18
by johnsaunders
I've just bought 2 of these kits due to the Wilcos sale and I'm a bit worried it might get stuck. How do I rehydrate the yeast prior to pitching.

Re: Woodfordes Wherry review.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 19:25
by Sqrson
check the 'how to' section. There's a great bit by Aleman about rehydrating yeasts