Woodfordes Wherry review.

Kit Brewer, Tell us what you think of the kits you are making, what's good, what's bad, and what should we avoid.

Re: Woodfordes Wherry review.

Postby Wee_Dave » Sat Nov 07, 2015 01:33

MrBoy wrote:So... after a lot of hassle my Wherry has now been bottled 13 days. I'm happy to announced that despite all kinds of problems, including having to stick my arm into the FV to stop a leaking tap (I felt like James Herriot!) it has turned out pretty well. I actually opened a bottle accidentally a couple of days ago thinking it was something else and it hadn't much fizz, but today I got a healthy hiss as I cracked the cap.

I don't actually know what the Wherry is supposed to taste like but it seems quite palatable. It tastes quite dark - a hint of liquorice - but is pretty smooth without any kind of nasty twang, and it has only just been bottled really.

What are the aging characteristics anyone? How long would you ideally leave it, when does it real it's best? What kind of ale actually IS it?

Ale-wise? A belting brew.

Ideally, I'd put a couple of bottles away, hidden, for 12 months. Then it'll be a cracker.

Wee Dave

FV: Coopers Australian Lager (30g Galaxy dry hop)

Conditioning/Bottled:
Young's American Mocha Porter

Planning: St Peter's IPA (50g - Topaz and Galaxy - dry hop)

Currently Drinking: Store bought beer and occasionally a Turbo Cider until the stock levels are at a reasonable level :hat:
Wee_Dave
Brewer

Postby MrBoy » Mon Nov 09, 2015 13:45

I'm not even bothering to cold-condition this so far... after bottle fermenting I'm leaving it inside because that actually seems a really good temperature (18-19C) for a real ale like this. Right now, the garage is ~11C which is probably ideal but I'm not sure I'd want it below 10C to be honest.
MrBoy
Brewer

Postby Revelo » Mon Nov 23, 2015 13:53

Started up another one of these for Spring 2016, since the previous has proven to be very popular amongst family and friends.

Sticking to the same mods as last time, extra sugar in the keg and 1kg Beer Kit Enhancer for the FV, since it gives it an initial sweettaste and a nice malty aftertaste too. Should be ready by March. :cheers1:

Finished (2015):
Brewmaker: Victorian Style Bitter - 23L
Woodfordes Wherry (with 1kg Spraymalt) - 23L
Coopers: Australian Pale Ale - 23L
Triple Tykes Special Export (with Finishing Hops) - 23L

Current
Woodfordes Wherry (with 1kg Spraymalt) - 23L
Dasher the Flasher - 23L

Planned (2016)
John Bull: Country Cider - 23L
Woodfordes: Nelsons Revenge - 23L
Revelo
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:45

Got a kit of this sat in the cupboard that I've not got round to doing since going AG. I'm debating putting it up in next years festival raffle or putting it on now and kegging it for the festival.

Kegged:
Simecoe APA (HBF Donation)

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby MonsieurBadgerCheese » Tue Dec 01, 2015 19:50

Evening,

Finally got fermentation fridge set up, and about to try this kit as my first project.

Excuse the Newbie question, but what would be the best temperature for fermentation, and what is an acceptable fluctuation in temperature during fermentation?

Thanks,

MBC
MonsieurBadgerCheese
Brewer

Postby MrBoy » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:01

I think 20-22 is about ideal. You don't want to exceed 25 and you don't really want it to drop below 17-18; colder than this won't really harm it but will slow things down a lot.

Given that the Wherry quite commonly gets stuck (fermentation stalls before all the sugar is used up) I would try to keep it 22-23 if I did this kit again, to try and keep it active... but hopefully someone more experienced than I can corroborate that advice!
MrBoy
Brewer

Postby MonsieurBadgerCheese » Wed Dec 02, 2015 15:06

Thanks for your reply. I'll aim for 22 then, and see how it goes.

MBC
MonsieurBadgerCheese
Brewer

Postby Horlock07 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 21:52

Evening

To bump this one, I am thinking of setting off a Wherry kit l have but the horror stories regarding the yeast concern me....

I have a packet of Munston Premium Good yeast knocking about, is there any reason why I shouldn't substitute this for the standard yeast?

Ta muchly
Horlock07
Brewer

Postby MrBoy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 00:24

I wouldn't substitute, just toss both in.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
MrBoy
Brewer

Previous