Brewferm - Diabolo

Kit Brewer, Tell us what you think of the kits you are making, what's good, what's bad, and what should we avoid.

Re: Brewferm - Diabolo

Postby serum » Wed May 21, 2014 10:25

I made this kit in the winter using golden syrup instead of dextrose or candi sugar and followed the instructions regarding priming sugar and secondary fermentation. I seem to have somehow put a little too much water in so it's not quite as strong as it should be but it still packs a mighty punch.

When I saw the name of this kit I was expecting it to taste like Duvel. It's not very close but it's a decent kit. It cleared really well, has a pleasant strong but sweet taste although it's a little lacking in complexity. It certainly goes down easy considering the ABV.

Well worth a go.

FV - Altbier
Bottled: Blond & Amber Biere De Garde, Blond & Amber French Ale, Belgian Pale
Planned: More Altbier, Kolsch, XX Bitter Clone
serum
Brewer

Postby sandimas » Sun Sep 21, 2014 15:42

I've done a few of these Brewferm kits now and this one was the poorest so far: not bad, just not as good as the others. I think that maybe due to me using brewing sugar rather than candi sugar or golden syrup. Ddin't smell that great when bottling, took an age to come good, was quite harsh within the first 6 months and only now has it mellowed, 10 months in. In comparison, I've just bottled the Triple (made with golden syrup) and it smells so nice in comparison, so maybe something just went wrong?

Having said that, it is a nice Belgian ale, packs a punch (8.5%) and I am tempted to do it again.

Last edited by sandimas on Mon Sep 22, 2014 09:22, edited 1 time in total.
sandimas
Brewer

Postby Zod » Sun Sep 21, 2014 18:45

10 months! How does that timeframe compare with the other Brewferms you've done?

Zod
Brewer

Postby sandimas » Mon Sep 22, 2014 09:17

Diabolo and Abbey both took a long time to come good, 8-10 months. Both were made as per the recipe with sugar. I then did Oud Vlaams Bruin with golden syrup and it was ready much sooner, 3 months, but then it is much weaker (6.5% vs 8.5%). So I'm not sure if it's the use of different fermentable and/or the strength that determines the conditioning time. I've just made the Triple with golden syrup in the hope that it's ready for Xmas, so we'll see. Have heard people say to make these then put them away for a year before drinking :o

Just had the very last bottle of Abbey, 11 months after brewing it, and it was really lovely, just kept getting better and better.
sandimas
Brewer

Postby Zod » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:04

interesting - thanks. I'm very tempted by the Brewferm kits, will just have to develop some patience to brew them then.

Zod
Brewer

Postby JDGBrew » Mon Sep 22, 2014 21:08

Get one on and stash it away, then in the meantime brew a load more to keep you occupied. Result! :cheers:

'I saw one guy loose a tooth lunging for a foaming mug and miss judging it'- Aleman

FV1 - Coopers Aus Lager (Raspberry)
FV2 - Coopers Stout
BBkt -...
Keg1 - nowt
Keg2 - Citra Wherry (left over from wedding......I didn't hide it?!)
Keg3 - Empty
Conditioning - Brewferm Grand Cru - Razorback - Youngs IPA 7.5%! Citra/Centennial Wilkos Golden Ale. Brewferm Tarwebier w/orange & coriander. Rioja 25 bottles
JDGBrew
Brewer

Postby rui » Sat Sep 27, 2014 23:21

you should try brew it with dme/lme!! will be much better....any of them!!!!

cheers

Planning: Raspberry Witbier, , Bitter, Porter
FV1: BIAB#41 Robust Porter
FV2:
FV3:
keg1:BIAB#39 American ipa
keg2: BIAB#38 BEST BITTER
bottled and conditioning: BIAB#37 blonde ale,
drinking: BIAB#27 American pale ale
Barril de carvalho francês (French oak barrel) fermention stage: 500L of rose wine
rui
Brewer

Postby Smudge » Wed Oct 01, 2014 20:09

Just bottled a Diabolo kit and I'm going to stash it away for Christmas. After the reviews I'm really looking forward to this one, only time will tell.

Moving with the present, while respecting the past.
Smudge
Brewer

Postby ricardo » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:16

You are going to drink it THIS Christmas ???
Too soon...........
Be bl**dy lovely NEXT Christmas.
ricardo
Brewer

Postby Smudge » Mon Jan 19, 2015 21:42

Started drinking the Diabolo, and for a one tin kit I am surprised with the results, good malty & sweet tasting Belgium style beer. A definite do again kit. So much so I have just ordered 3 more Brewferm kits.

Moving with the present, while respecting the past.
Smudge
Brewer