St Peters - Ruby Red Ale

Kit Brewer, Tell us what you think of the kits you are making, what's good, what's bad, and what should we avoid.

Re: St Peters - Ruby Red Ale

Postby krazypara3165 » Wed May 21, 2014 09:49

I Didn't request this one but have a review anyway,

I followed the kit as per instructions and made with bottled water. the only part I did differently is that I left it on the trub for 2 weeks and then it was in the shed at around 7 degrees for three weeks. Bottled one and the rest went into a polypin. Tried the bottle 2 weeks ago and it was superb! clear, bright and the taste was fantastic! I think Its actually better than the wherry by a mile, hoping to link it to a beer engine next month for a proper tasting session!

Kegged:
Simecoe APA (HBF Donation)

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby serum » Wed May 21, 2014 09:52

This is an excellent kit. It's quite similar to Woodforde's Wherry but I found it a bit more fruity and complex tasting.

I made mine to 20L, used the full hop sachet they gave and left it in primary for 2 weeks before batch priming with 100g cane sugar. OG was 1046 and FG was 1012.

It was excellent after 2 weeks in the bottle and continued to improve. It's incredibly smooth with a lovely aroma and taste. I'd say it's the best kit I've done.

FV - Altbier
Bottled: Blond & Amber Biere De Garde, Blond & Amber French Ale, Belgian Pale
Planned: More Altbier, Kolsch, XX Bitter Clone
serum
Brewer

Postby Wee_Dave » Sun Nov 02, 2014 16:35

Got this on yesterday.

Full Goldings hop sachet
20L batch (15L bottled water)
Yeast pitched (dry) at 24degs.
OG: 1046

Had a minor disaster when one of the tin lids fell into the wort. :doh:
It was quickly fished out, so hoping for no real damage done :pray:

Hoping for around 1012 finish or thereabouts.

Wee Dave

FV: Coopers Australian Lager (30g Galaxy dry hop)

Conditioning/Bottled:
Young's American Mocha Porter

Planning: St Peter's IPA (50g - Topaz and Galaxy - dry hop)

Currently Drinking: Store bought beer and occasionally a Turbo Cider until the stock levels are at a reasonable level :hat:
Wee_Dave
Brewer

Postby charlie10910 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 16:40

planning on doing this kit this weekend :) read lots of good reports on it so should be good , got my new shiny mini kegs to use as well happy days lol
charlie10910
Brewer

Postby Cornish Knocker » Fri Nov 21, 2014 17:09

Just cracked open my first bottle of this. Has only been in the bottle for 2 weeks, so very early I know, but just had to try it.

After only 2 weeks conditioning it is already clear as a bell, not too much head retention, but what a drink. I only tried about 200ml, which was the last drop to be bottled, so if this gets even better I'm in for a treat. Not sure how I'm not going to be tempted to start drinking it now as I have no other beer in apart from Peroni, which isn't my sort of drink.

My last few brews have been okay and certainly drinkable, but for this one I used bottled water and a crushed Campden tablet, so perhaps this has made the difference to he taste between being okay and superb.

Fermenting:

Conditioning:

Drinking: The Above
Up Next: Not sure yet, one of many
Cornish Knocker
Brewer

Postby Zod » Fri Nov 21, 2014 17:18

Cornish Knocker wrote:My last few brews have been okay and certainly drinkable, but for this one I used bottled water and a crushed Campden tablet, so perhaps this has made the difference to he taste between being okay and superb.

why the combination of the campden and bottled water? I thought campden tablets were purely for treating tap water and removing the chlorine/chloramines?

Zod
Brewer

Postby charlie10910 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 17:54

had a test of mine today down to 1012 from 1044 been in fv 12 days now going to bottle and mini keg it on Sunday , must say this is by far the best kit ive done/tasted so far i just used half a campden tablet to treat the water ill deffo be doing this again :drink:
charlie10910
Brewer

Postby Cornish Knocker » Fri Nov 21, 2014 18:49

Zod wrote:
Cornish Knocker wrote:My last few brews have been okay and certainly drinkable, but for this one I used bottled water and a crushed Campden tablet, so perhaps this has made the difference to he taste between being okay and superb.

why the combination of the campden and bottled water? I thought campden tablets were purely for treating tap water and removing the chlorine/chloramines?

Only because I have recently bought them and it certainly doesn't do any harm. Also I live in Italy, so God knows what's in the bottled water here. :whistle: If I ever use tap water again or collect the water from a drinking fountain in the mountains, like I used to, I want to get into a habit of always using a Campden tablet.

Fermenting:

Conditioning:

Cornish Knocker
Brewer

Postby kentmark » Fri Nov 21, 2014 19:58

This and st peters stout are 2 of my favorite kits will be doing these again at some point.
kentmark
Brewer

Postby BIGJIM72 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 20:12

Was one of my favourite kits from the old days.

I have a medical condition- I am fool intolerant.

Brewing,baking & grilling up a storm in South London
BIGJIM72
Brewer

Postby CJV8 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 14:31

I've got mine conditioning at the moment and so far I'm managing to resist cracking a bottle open to taste....

Planning - An imperial barley wine
Brewing - Nowt
Conditioning - Plum port (and it'll be conditioning for another 9 years or so)
Drinking - many different beers, and plenty of whisky.
CJV8
Brewer

Postby Cornish Knocker » Fri Nov 28, 2014 23:05

CJV8 wrote:I've got mine conditioning at the moment and so far I'm managing to resist cracking a bottle open to taste....

I lasted 2 weeks and opened up a small one, not touched one since though, so has been 3 weeks now, it's not easy though. :doh:

Fermenting:

Conditioning:

Cornish Knocker
Brewer

Postby Wee_Dave » Sat Nov 29, 2014 21:10

Left my Ruby Red in the FV for 4 weeks. :whistle: Left it nice and clear. :thumb:

Sample shot:

Tasted really nice out the trial jar. SG of 1046 to FG of 1012 makes it around 4.5%ABV. Batched primed with 100g granulated :cheers:
Looking forward til the mid January taste test. :D

Wee Dave

Conditioning/Bottled:

Currently Drinking: Store bought beer and occasionally a Turbo Cider until the stock levels are at a reasonable level :hat:
Wee_Dave
Brewer

Postby CJV8 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 14:47

That does look nice and clear.
January isn't far away, I'm sure you can resist tasting before then.
Tick tock tick tock......

Planning - An imperial barley wine
Brewing - Nowt
Conditioning - Plum port (and it'll be conditioning for another 9 years or so)
Drinking - many different beers, and plenty of whisky.
CJV8
Brewer

Postby charlie10910 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 20:02

very impressed with this kit only just into 4th week kegged and and clear as a bell , tastes really nice and the head lasts right down to the last and the minikegs and tap were worth while getting pours a good pint :drink:
charlie10910
Brewer

Postby Wee_Dave » Sat Feb 28, 2015 21:19

3 months in the bottle

Tastes a lot better than the first bottle I tried a month ago. :D

Was Going to keep several by for Christmas. We'll see.... :whistle:

Wee Dave

Conditioning/Bottled:

Wee_Dave
Brewer

Postby blinky » Sun Mar 01, 2015 09:41

Thats some head!!!! Mine is bottled in the brew room (Utility room!) waiting on carbonation - so your saying I need to leave for 2 months at least before drinking....... Not sure thats gonna happen!
blinky
Brewer

Postby LeeH » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:02

charlie10910 wrote:Image

very impressed with this kit only just into 4th week kegged and and clear as a bell , tastes really nice and the head lasts right down to the last and the minikegs and tap were worth while getting pours a good pint :drink:

Looks great. How much priming sugar did you put in?
LeeH
Brewer

Postby Wee_Dave » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:51

blinky wrote:Thats some head!!!! Mine is bottled in the brew room (Utility room!) waiting on carbonation - so your saying I need to leave for 2 months at least before drinking....... Not sure thats gonna happen!

T'was a poor pour :oops: :lol:

The longer you leave it, the better it will be. :thumb:

Wee Dave

Conditioning/Bottled:

Wee_Dave
Brewer

Postby charlie10910 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:59

LeeH wrote:
charlie10910 wrote:Image

Looks great. How much priming sugar did you put in?

if i remember rightly two tea spoons per keg though probably use less next time not sure if it was the use of the gas or just naturally fizzy but lots of head foam had to fill glass like you would Guinness pour leave then pour some more though took nothing away from the drink its self and deffo doing this one again :D
charlie10910
Brewer

Postby blinky » Wed Mar 18, 2015 21:37

Just opened my first bottle of this tonight and its lovely! Has much more body than any of the other kits I have made. If I hold it up to the light it is indeed ruby red :D
I made it as per the instructions, only I did dry hop for one day with a goldings tea bag - only 1 day as I only wanted a little hint, but in hindsight I should have left for a couple as I cant really tell.
Anyway, defiantly the best beer I have made so far and its only been in the garage for a fortnight, I tasted the real thing the other week though but I would not say mine tastes like it does - I much prefer mine! More body, less bitter
Attachments
RubyRedAle.jpg
RubyRedAle.jpg (84.79 KiB) Viewed 1900 times
blinky
Brewer