Festivals - Suffolk Strong Ale

Kit Brewer, Tell us what you think of the kits you are making, what's good, what's bad, and what should we avoid.

Re: Festivals - Suffolk Strong Ale

Postby bootneck » Sun May 04, 2014 19:07

This is my third brew and as a very new person to homebrew I found the instructions easy to follow.
Added the hop pellets day five as instructed and on day ten put my brew into a keg with the priming dextrose that came with it.
Have no idea if it had stopped working when it went onto the keg I just followed the instructions.
I have tried the brew every week and from day one its tasted great.its now a month and it's clear not bright like a pub ale but it is clear.
Taste is as good as any beer I have had in a pub and it's very strong, a brew I will definitely do again , will be taking a sample to Moley next weekend no doubt he will come to on this thread once he has tasted it.

Doing this as an art not to produce cheep beer.
bootneck
Brewer

Postby Oldstunty » Mon May 05, 2014 20:05

Keeping an eye on this thread, planning to do this next. :drunk:

Cheers,

Jon.

I enjoy a glass of wine each night for its health benefits. The other glasses are for my witty comebacks and flawless dance moves.
Oldstunty
Brewer

Postby LeeH » Tue May 06, 2014 08:19

You bottled it far to early. You would be better off leaving it in the FV for 2 weeks minimum. I've had festival kits sat at a perfect 20degC for 2 weeks and still fermenting.
LeeH
Brewer

Postby bootneck » Tue May 06, 2014 16:05

LeeH wrote:You bottled it far to early. You would be better off leaving it in the FV for 2 weeks minimum. I've had festival kits sat at a perfect 20degC for 2 weeks and still fermenting.
as I said I had no idea of it had stopped fermentation I just followed the instructions to the letter.
It wasn't bottled rather placed in a keg. The point of my review was , even knowing jack shit about brewing , by following the instructions I have produced a beer I would be glad to pay for in a pub.
As both my knowledge and number of brews grows I will indeed leave in secondary fermentation much longer and tweak the process here and there.

bootneck
Brewer

Postby bootneck » Sun May 25, 2014 09:15

After 4 weeks in the keg it was crystal clear and tastes fantastic.

bootneck
Brewer

Postby LeeH » Thu May 29, 2014 18:09

bootneck wrote:
LeeH wrote:You bottled it far to early. You would be better off leaving it in the FV for 2 weeks minimum. I've had festival kits sat at a perfect 20degC for 2 weeks and still fermenting.
as I said I had no idea of it had stopped fermentation I just followed the instructions to the letter.
It wasn't bottled rather placed in a keg. The point of my review was , even knowing jack shit about brewing , by following the instructions I have produced a beer I would be glad to pay for in a pub.
As both my knowledge and number of brews grows I will indeed leave in secondary fermentation much longer and tweak the process here and there.

Every days a school day with this hobby mate.
LeeH
Brewer

Postby Maysie » Mon Jun 01, 2015 13:13

I tried my first one of these over the weekend. It had been conditioning in the bottle for 2 weeks (warm) and 5 weeks (relatively coolish). I think it could have done with leaving a bit longer to condition and mellow as it was still a bit raw around the edges, but overall it was a cracking full flavoured brew.

The the beer is a very dark reddy brown colour, the flavour is very strong (as the name suggests), but was very rounded with nice sweet and bitter taste. I can imagine it may be too strong for some peoples taste, but for my tastes though this was perfect. It also has the added bonus of being crystal clear in the bottle unlike some other heavy beers I have tried.
It reminded me a bit of the Muntons Old Conkerwood Black Ale, but without the sediment in the bottle issues.

One to leave a bit longer to condition I suspect, but certainly a cracking winter brew. I will try to leave mine alone now until Christmas. A top quality 2 can kit with additional hop pellets. The cost was at the more expensive end of the market, but worth it IMHO.
My stats....
SG :1053
FG: 1012 (2 weeks in FV)
ABV: 5.38%
Maysie
Brewer