Woodforde's - Norfolk Nog

Kit Brewer, Tell us what you think of the kits you are making, what's good, what's bad, and what should we avoid.

Re: Woodforde's - Norfolk Nog

Postby JDGBrew » Tue Apr 29, 2014 19:47

Woodfordes Norfolk Nog Review

Kit ABV - 4.5%

Achieved ABV - 4% (4.2% Conditioning)

SG - 1.040
FG - 1010

Water - Bottled Spring Water 18L

Wort Volume - Topped wort to 21L

Pitching Temp - 22.8oC

Priming Sugar - 85gms Keg - 1/2tsp p/Bottle

FV - 3 Weeks 2days (w/Temp 18-19.5oC)

Pressure Barrel - 8 Days (w/Temp 18-19.5oC)

After brewing this over the last month, I though I'd add my little contribution to this brilliant forum. There's such a wealth of knowledge to be had here it really is fantastic!
To be honest it felt a tad daunting at first as the majority of brewers here seem to be All Grain veterans, and heres me the new guy chucking together a Woddfordes kit and being rather chuffed with it so far. Heh.

Well everyone has to start somewhere eh.

Anyway enough rambling, onto the review.....

***Disclaimer: I'm not stating im a reviewer of any kind, in fact I've never reviewed anything in my life! So take this with a pinch of salt! ;)***

Brewday commenced and the 28th March.

I decided it would be best to take a few images along the way, showing the brewing process from tin(s) to glass. So here we go:

All equipment cleaned and sterilised

Woodfordes Nog Kit

Giving the tins a reet good soaking in hot water for ten mins

Equipment good to go

Nice clean empty tins....that does smell bloody lovely!

Extract in, water good to go

Pitching temp

I measured topping to 21L

Home for three weeks

Gravity Reading after 21 days

Looking on track to me

I took another gravity reading two days later, 1010 again so proceeded to keg.
I bottled 1 tester bottle and 6 keepers that I'm going to crack open on Xmas day, the rest was kegged.

It's now been 8 days in the keg, primed with 85gms sugar. Thought I'd pull a little trial jar to check keg pressure and for leaks and what not...
I must say for it being so young it really is very drinkable.
The first thing that hits you on the nose is that rich roasted malt smell, slight sweetness aswell.
Taste is very malty, medium mouthfeel, a little thin due to age. Sweet like treacle and something else I can't put my finger on. The aftertaste is quite bitter, again though....it's only 8days old!
Going off this young taster, I'm sure it will mature into a beltin winter drink this one!

Quite happy with my first go at homebrew :thumb:

I will update as I go, so another week in warm then off to the outhouse for two weeks.
Will post more tasting notes the further along it gets as I'm keeping this keg for winter!

To sum up, for anyone just getting into home brewing you can't go wrong with this kit.
Forget the instructions timescale, bank on a minimum of two weeks in primary followed by two weeks warm two cold. Even after the 8days mine has had in the keg I could happily sink a few of these!
God only knows what it will be like in say another month? :drink:

Cheers :cheers:

'I saw one guy loose a tooth lunging for a foaming mug and miss judging it'- Aleman

FV1 - Coopers Aus Lager (Raspberry)
FV2 - Coopers Stout
BBkt -...
Keg1 - nowt
Keg2 - Citra Wherry (left over from wedding......I didn't hide it?!)
Keg3 - Empty
Conditioning - Brewferm Grand Cru - Razorback - Youngs IPA 7.5%! Citra/Centennial Wilkos Golden Ale. Brewferm Tarwebier w/orange & coriander. Rioja 25 bottles
JDGBrew
Brewer

Postby duncs » Tue Apr 29, 2014 21:05

Nice review, thanks :thumb: not got much time for any AG brewing at the moment so I think I will have to try this.

Ego bibo ergo sum
duncs
Brewer

Postby JDGBrew » Tue Apr 29, 2014 21:15

Cheers :thumb:
Definitely worth doing if free times an issue.
The quality is really astounding! This being me first brew I wasnt sure quite what to expect really.
After that quick taster today, well......really happy with how its coming along!

Get one on fella! :cheers:

'I saw one guy loose a tooth lunging for a foaming mug and miss judging it'- Aleman

FV2 - Coopers Stout
BBkt -...
Keg1 - nowt
Keg3 - Empty
Conditioning - Brewferm Grand Cru - Razorback - Youngs IPA 7.5%! Citra/Centennial Wilkos Golden Ale. Brewferm Tarwebier w/orange & coriander. Rioja 25 bottles
JDGBrew
Brewer

Postby linf » Thu May 01, 2014 18:20

Very good review there :clap:
linf
Brewer

Postby JDGBrew » Thu May 01, 2014 20:41

Thank you very much :thumb:

Due to the keg being kept for Xmas drinking, I thought it would be good to keep the review updated over the course of the year. Checking on the brew probably every month initially them every two.
Just be fun to see what we end up with and how it's developed over the year.

With all my planned brews I should 'hopefully' be able to forget about this keg until then :whistle:

Cheers :cheers:

FV2 - Coopers Stout
BBkt -...
Keg1 - nowt
Keg3 - Empty
JDGBrew
Brewer

Postby stout les » Sun Jun 15, 2014 17:12

Excellent review. i'll have to try this one next. i've done a few wherries & a couple of nelson's both of which turned out real good.
stout les
Brewer

Postby JDGBrew » Sun Jun 15, 2014 17:42

Cheers, it is a cracking brew this! Well worth doing.

Small update: Drew off a quick half yesterday to see how it's coming along
Developing really well now, all the flavours have come together brilliantly. Very nicely balanced. Roasted malts & caramel, sweet finish that lasts.
Blumin lovely stuff, so had to have another Image
Keeping this until Xmas will be a challenge!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

FV2 - Coopers Stout
BBkt -...
Keg1 - nowt
Keg3 - Empty
JDGBrew
Brewer

Postby linf » Sun Jun 15, 2014 23:04

Great thread on the Nog,i must get one of these on soon!
Just out of interest and i know it looks obvious from the pics but would you class this as a porter or a stout or some kind of speciality dark ale?
linf
Brewer

Postby JDGBrew » Mon Jun 16, 2014 09:08

Drinking this under a month old, still has a slight porter/stout feel to it to me anyway.
This is two months in the barrel now and its a great dark ale, the stout feel has completely disappeared and all the flavours come together really well.
I'm definitely going to be putting another one in the coming months.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Last edited by JDGBrew on Sat Jun 28, 2014 16:52, edited 1 time in total.

FV2 - Coopers Stout
BBkt -...
Keg1 - nowt
Keg3 - Empty
JDGBrew
Brewer

Postby JDGBrew » Sat Jun 28, 2014 16:51

What I was saying about it lasting until Xmas........well.....
It's just too blumin good! Even the missus thought it was a tasty brew :shock:

Been a busy brew day today with dry hopping my golden stag as well as transferring some cider to bottling bucket ready for bottling this time next week (why didn't I buy one sooner!). Got another golden stag on today as well....brewed short to 20L, gravity was 1043.

This keg has taken a reet hammering since the last update :drink: it's really really good.

Ended up getting a brewferm kit to get on for Xmas now as that NEEDS the 4-5months conditioning time!

I'll be definitely be buying another nog soon! It's a bloody good brew, might try to get the abv up a bit to around the 5.5-6% mark without destroying the balance.
Any ideas on this would be welcome :cheers:
Thinking of adding some black treacle & Dark Muscavado Sugar with a vial of WLP005 which seems a good fit. Worth a go I reckon, obviously bumps the price up a tad but if it's a belter definitely worth it as the nog can be had for 19quid now so with yeast and extras probably looking at around 26-7quid.

Time for another me thinks :cheers:

FV2 - Coopers Stout
BBkt -...
Keg1 - nowt
Keg3 - Empty
JDGBrew
Brewer

Thanks for this useful review! Just started a Norfolk Nog my

Postby pauly » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:29

New to this forum, good to see the pictures of your brew setup too... I've done a few beer kits and some cider so far. This one looks like a good beer!
I came here looking for a suitable temperature range to brew at, wondering where best to keep this one to get the best results. I don't have a complicated setup but I am monitoring the temperature of mine using some computer kit, I can share results if you are interested (but I can't post a link here right now).

What temperature are you storing that at in the fridge? Do you drink it cold or is that beer fridge set to an unusual setting?
pauly
Brewer

Postby Maysie » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:34

Welcome to the Forum.
Most kits will be fine brewed around 19C unless you are doing a true lager. There is loads of info on here, so I wont repeat it all again. There is also a great 'How to Guide' for first time brewers here which is an absolute bible of information. Still worth a read even though you have a few brews under your belt.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=201

I think the 'official line' from the likes of CAMRA is that beer should be stored and served at around 12-13C, but dont worry too much if you like it warmer/cooler that is fine - so long as it has gone through the fermentation process and allowed to carb up in the warm afterwards.

Patience is your friend - particularly with the Nog (IMHO) as it improves a lot with age - and takes a bit longer than some beers, like most darker beers seem to.
Maysie
Brewer

Postby Maysie » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:35

Oh and by the way JDGBrew, that is a great review!
Maysie
Brewer