Coopers - Original Stout

Kit Brewer, Tell us what you think of the kits you are making, what's good, what's bad, and what should we avoid.

Re: Coopers - Original Stout

Postby itbrvilla » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:53

Brewed this following a recipe on the Coopers website but substituted the Coopers enhancer with 500g dark spay malt and 500g dextrose upto a total of 18L Fermented like a rocket initially. Left for 3 weeks and bottles last night. Smells and tastes amazing so far. Nice coffee aromas and roasted bitter flavour to taste. Bottled with half a teaspoon at which point the beer was already completely clear. This will only get better no doubt.
itbrvilla
Brewer

Postby Bribie G » Thu May 01, 2014 09:22

Coopers take great pride in their stout kit and it's definitely the best kit in their range. Their commercial 6% Stout in Australia is awesome.

Coopers-Extra-Stout.jpg
Coopers-Extra-Stout.jpg (17.06 KiB) Viewed 4435 times

Perhaps it's occasionally available in the UK and a good old Victorian Era Foreign Extra Stout.

You can do a fairly good knock off of it using two tins of the Coopers kit, plus a kilo of spray malt. Doesn't turn out too bitter but drink responsibly :whistle:

edit; I note you only did 18L so ignore the above, you will just about have nailed it. Consult a doctor if pain persists :rofl:
Bribie G
Brewer

Postby Popcorn » Thu May 01, 2014 09:27

I too did a Two can coopers stout Via a old Post from Bribie, Makes a very good stout with some clout.

Barba crescit caput nescit.
Popcorn
Top of the Hops

Postby sandimas » Thu May 01, 2014 14:19

Just bottled yet another Coopers Stout, it's a regular brew here and always maintain a decent stash of it. Of all the kits I've tried, it's the one I've done the most of, tried various ways of doing including Beer Enhancer, Dry Malt Extract and Dark Liquid Malt Extract - the LME version was lovely but a little too rich for my taste, so now stick with the Enhancer version. Although as an experiment this new one has a tine or drak treacle added too.
sandimas
Brewer

Postby Slid » Fri May 02, 2014 22:48

sandimas wrote:Just bottled yet another Coopers Stout, it's a regular brew here and always maintain a decent stash of it. Of all the kits I've tried, it's the one I've done the most of, tried various ways of doing including Beer Enhancer, Dry Malt Extract and Dark Liquid Malt Extract - the LME version was lovely but a little too rich for my taste, so now stick with the Enhancer version. Although as an experiment this new one has a tine or drak treacle added too.

Very interesting post here, Sandimas, might try an LME version to mix with cider, a twenteenage fad I have stuck with, even to the extent of trying a Turbo cider and Stout type effort.

A full tin (454g) of treacle will give quite a shock at first, but as usual with this kit, it mellows very nicely, over a few weeks or months - happy drinking :drink:
Slid
Brewer

Postby linf » Mon May 05, 2014 19:30

I made one of these kits recently and put it in a pressure barrel on the 12th of April.Despite all my efforts to leave it at least 2 months i could resist no more.
I made mine with a kilo of extra dark dme and a dollop (it wasn't a precisely weighed amount,more a splodge)of black treacle.
Initial taste was really, really nice with all the previously mentioned tastes of liqourice,roast malt and treacle to name a few.
It is now nailed on that i will do this kit again but it will be bottled in the hope that it will have more chance of mellowing out over several months and me being able to keep my greedy chops off it :drink:
Obviously there are quite a few stout kits on the market but this seems to be one of the most popular.It seems to be THE go to stout kit for the money.I was thinking of the St.Peters or the Milestone Black Pearl but for the price this must take some beating?

Last edited by linf on Mon May 05, 2014 22:33, edited 1 time in total.
linf
Brewer

Postby linf » Mon May 05, 2014 19:44

Obviously it is still young and the head retention isn't great but this doesn't detract from the superb taste
Attachments
20140505_193814.jpg
20140505_193814.jpg (161.96 KiB) Viewed 4383 times
linf
Brewer

Postby linf » Mon May 05, 2014 19:46

A nice coffee-ish coloured head
Attachments
20140505_193831.jpg
20140505_193831.jpg (136.71 KiB) Viewed 4383 times
linf
Brewer

Postby serum » Wed May 21, 2014 08:17

I made this about 8 months ago using a kilo of dark DME and best part of a can of treacle I had kicking around.

I didn't get the furious ferment a lot of people describe and it finished a little short which I put down to letting it get too cold. I hadn't quite found the best place to store my FV at the time.

Nevertheless this turned out to be an excellent pint. The head was decent and it was drinkable after a month but kept changing. Early on it was quite mellow and it developed a lot of richness and roasty flavours later on, all of which were very pleasant. I'd definitely recommend this kit.

FV - Altbier
Bottled: Blond & Amber Biere De Garde, Blond & Amber French Ale, Belgian Pale
Planned: More Altbier, Kolsch, XX Bitter Clone
serum
Brewer

Postby Stew » Thu Jun 05, 2014 15:02

This has become my brew of choice for always having in the house, well I say that but I'm down to the last few pints in the keg underneath the stairs, so hopefully getting one on tonight. Usually make this with 1kg of medium DME and 250g of Billingtons light muscavado sugar, but the last one I did with a tin of golden syrup instead as it was ll I had in the house.
Usually comes out at about 4.2/4.3% and is lush all the time :drunk:

http://www.barbelquest.blogspot.com

Brewing: Nothing
Conditioning, Brewferm Abdji, Coopers Lager, Coopers Stout
Planning: Many things!!
Stew
Brewer

Postby andy.m.7374 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 15:47

Put one of these on the other day with 500g of dark dme and 500g of dark brown sugar and brewed short to 20l.

Intention is to keep it till Christmas, doubt it will see autumn let alone winter though time will tell :)

Using Tapatalk
andy.m.7374
Brewer

Postby Slid » Wed Jul 02, 2014 21:47

This is a great kit, ready to drink very quickly and able to absorb all sorts of tinkering to give a very palatable drink.
I've done it with 1kg DME (dark) plus dark sugar (demerara, muscavo) and once with some treacle.

Unless you really like the taste of treacle, I would go easy on it - maybe 200g or half a tin is enough.

It's great joy is allowing you to stick all sorts of stuff like vanilla pods, cocoa powder (minimal fat) coffee grains and the like and still it's drinkable.

I'd go so far as to say that if I were ever to try and recreate the ludicrous sounding Cock Ale from Ben Turner's rather elderly tome, the Coopers Stout could be a useful "base".
Slid
Brewer

Postby AFewTooMany » Wed Jul 09, 2014 18:59

Slid wrote:I've done it with 1kg DME (dark) plus dark sugar (demerara, muscavo) and once with some treacle.

Unless you really like the taste of treacle, I would go easy on it - maybe 200g or half a tin is enough.

It's great joy is allowing you to stick all sorts of stuff like vanilla pods, cocoa powder (minimal fat) coffee grains and the like and still it's drinkable.

Not having seen this comment I made a brew with a full can of treacle and dark dme. As you say it's a bit of a strong flavour. Any ideas on what I could add to balance it out a bit. It's 3 weeks in the keg now.

Cheers

Work is the curse of the drinking classes
AFewTooMany
Brewer

Postby serum » Wed Jul 09, 2014 19:07

I found the roasty flavours started to come out stronger after 4-6 weeks so that might mask the treacle.

FV - Altbier
Bottled: Blond & Amber Biere De Garde, Blond & Amber French Ale, Belgian Pale
Planned: More Altbier, Kolsch, XX Bitter Clone
serum
Brewer

Postby AFewTooMany » Wed Jul 09, 2014 22:34

serum wrote:I found the roasty flavours started to come out stronger after 4-6 weeks so that might mask the treacle.

Here's hoping then. Cheers

Work is the curse of the drinking classes
AFewTooMany
Brewer

Postby andy.m.7374 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 17:12

Just barrelled this up, SG 1056, FG 1006, rough maths puts this in the 7% region.

Looking at trying to leave well alone till October and hoping to leaving it till Christmas :)

Weee sample from trial jar you can taste the bit of dark brown sugar and the alcohol, but still a fine sup which will hopefully appreciate the long wait

Using Tapatalk
andy.m.7374
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Sun Jul 13, 2014 17:20

This was one of my first ever kits, and I really enjoyed it. From the off it tastes delicious, after a few months it just got better and better. New brewers (and old alike,) for the pricetag you really can't go wrong with this one.
robwalker
Brewer

Postby valleyred72 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 21:02

What a crazy kit. Having read all about the monkeybrain ferment I thought if give it a blast. Made the Tim up to 20 litres with 500gm medium dme and 500gm unrefined Brown sugar. OG was 1.042, fermenting at 21 (mainly due to the lovely weather we're having), checked tonight after 5 days and already down to 1.012...so quick.
Will rack to bottling bucket to help leave as much gunk behind, Mrs tastes it and thought I was winding her up, already quite palatable.
valleyred72
Brewer

Postby andy.m.7374 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 22:21

Well 6 weeks after barreling this up I can attest to its drinkability :)

Using Tapatalk
andy.m.7374
Brewer

Postby art b » Sun Aug 17, 2014 23:59

i made this in april and just opened a bottle ...wow ..... :party:
i used brewing sugar and i kg of dark brown sugar,
6 desert spoons of instant coffee.... it has a kick to it..... :D

Brew in a bag ....the darker side of the dark side ....
art b
Brewer

Postby Stew » Tue Sep 23, 2014 17:59

art b wrote:i made this in april and just opened a bottle ...wow ..... :party:

I'm impressed you managed to wait a whole 4 months to try this brew after bottling! I can normally last only about 4 days after kegging before getting stuck into this stout. It conditions amazingly quickly.

:D

http://www.barbelquest.blogspot.com

Brewing: Nothing
Conditioning, Brewferm Abdji, Coopers Lager, Coopers Stout
Planning: Many things!!
Stew
Brewer

Postby GAZ9053 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 18:24

Stew wrote:
art b wrote:i made this in april and just opened a bottle ...wow ..... :party:

I'm impressed you managed to wait a whole 4 months to try this brew after bottling! I can normally last only about 4 days after kegging before getting stuck into this stout. It conditions amazingly quickly.

:D

Thats longer than Ditch on Jims, he is drinking it out of the FV :D

First BIAB 15.03.15
First Grainfather 22.12.15

My kit wine how-to
GAZ9053
Brewer

Postby JDGBrew » Thu Oct 09, 2014 16:10

Put this on today as had a spare that needs filling.
Read around and liked that it conditions rather quickly :drink: should be reet for Xmas then.
Brewed it to 20l with 1kg brew enhancer & 500 demerara. S. G 1054.
Hydrometer tester tasted bloody lovely mun :cheers:
Looking forward to this one.

'I saw one guy loose a tooth lunging for a foaming mug and miss judging it'- Aleman

FV1 - Coopers Aus Lager (Raspberry)
FV2 - Coopers Stout
BBkt -...
Keg1 - nowt
Keg2 - Citra Wherry (left over from wedding......I didn't hide it?!)
Keg3 - Empty
Conditioning - Brewferm Grand Cru - Razorback - Youngs IPA 7.5%! Citra/Centennial Wilkos Golden Ale. Brewferm Tarwebier w/orange & coriander. Rioja 25 bottles
JDGBrew
Brewer

Postby Crankwood » Thu Oct 09, 2014 22:18

It is one of those kits which changes with time (and does improve) but is bloody good whenever you drink it.
Crankwood
Brewer

Postby TheBigLebowski » Sat Oct 18, 2014 16:32

I made this with 500g of DME, 1kg of Dextrose, 100g of treacle and a pot of cold pressed 8 min coffee. It was pretty sharp after 4 weeks, but another month in the cold and it was magnificent. I have 12 bottles conditioning in the shed for January (it was made to wet my nephew's head) when it'll be 12 months old.

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk
TheBigLebowski
Brewer

Next