Youngs - American Amber Ale

Kit Brewer, Tell us what you think of the kits you are making, what's good, what's bad, and what should we avoid.

Re: Youngs - American Amber Ale

Postby sandimas » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:32

Bought this on a whim as I do mainly Extract brewing these days, but I'm short of time at the moment and needed to replenish my stash, so needed something I could do quickly.

Initially very impressed: never had a kit before that came with a separate pack of brewing sugar :) The malt extract is in a pouch and is a little fiddly to empty, I swilled it out several times with warm water to get it all out. And it comes with an extra 600g of brewing sugar to stump up the ABV, plus 100g of Pacific Jade, Summit & Cluster hop pellets for dry hopping later. Made it all up as per the instructions, brewed slightly short (21.5L) just 'cos I always do that, OG 1050 :D Re-hydrated the yeast for 30mins rather than chucking it straight in, 12 hours later it was going off like a rocket, never had a kit start fermenting so well: the yeast packet was much more generous than some other kits.

Must admit that I have a love/hate relationship with kits: those marketed by or re-badged by Muntons often seem to stick around the 1020 mark. We'll see how this one does, but the initial vigorous ferment suggest it's going to go well, and the whole kit has a "quality" feel to it.

Will report back later once it's done. :hat:
sandimas
Brewer

Postby sandimas » Thu May 01, 2014 14:11

After 5 days, airlock has stopped bubbling so I dropped the hydrometer in to see if I had a stuck brew - no, it's down to 1012 :D Quickest ferment ever, now gonna add the dry hops for another 5 days or so, then transfer to a secondary FV for a week prior to bottling.
sandimas
Brewer

Postby sandimas » Sun May 11, 2014 12:04

Bottled it today after 5 days in the secondary: it's cleared a lot but still had some way to go, but I haven't got much free time over the next few weeks so it had to be done today. Incredible amount of trub in both the primary and secondary FVs. Came in at 5.3% ABV just below the target 5.4 stated on the box.

I did read one review that compared it to Doom Bar :scratch: it's nothing like it i.e. it's amber and had loads of US and NZ hops. Had a crafty sample (as you do) and I must say it's very good already, no sign of any homebrew twang like some other kits, and a flavour just like you'd expect from an American ale, citrusy hops bursting through. The quality of this kit feels like a step above many others I've tried, well done Youngs. :thumb:
sandimas
Brewer

Postby sandimas » Sat May 17, 2014 19:13

And here it is :D

Still very young and a bit cloudy, but this is nice - you'll either love it or hate it, grapefruit beer :D But judging how quick that first pint went down, I'm gonna have to careful with this at 5.3%. A landmark brew for me: no.50. Easily the best kit I've made and on a par with my Extract brews, definately recommend this kit if you like the American-style ales.
sandimas
Brewer

Postby matt666 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 08:47

I'm doing this at the moment. Its taking an age to clear but after 4 weeks in the keg its drinkable. Still a bit cloudy but its shaping up into a really nice pint. Not as hoppy as an IPA but has a slight grapefruit taste which is really nice. Agree with everything you said above, mine went the same way. Definitely one of the best kits I've done, think I'm going to get some of the same hops to dry hop a wilkos kit to jazz it up a bit.
matt666
Brewer

Postby ozzybrew » Thu Sep 25, 2014 18:45

5 weeks in the bottle for me this one - and by far the best kit I have done. Grapefruity, smooth, hoppy - just lovely. Lots of sediment though, so be careful on the pour! I see Youngs have now just released two more styles a Season and another which I can't remember! Pricey? I dont think so!!! Not for this quality.
ozzybrew
Brewer

Postby R3d Spartan » Fri Apr 10, 2015 13:57

I did this Youngs American Amber Ale back in January and has conditioned nicely now. It has a sweet malt, soft fruit citrus flavours along with a bit of grapefruitiness. Very easy drinking, the wife likes this one.

sandimas wrote:I did read one review that compared it to Doom Bar :scratch: it's nothing like it i.e. it's amber and had loads of US and NZ hops.
I dont know what universe someone thought this was like Doom Bar which is a very poor comparison and doesnt do this beer justice at all. Basically this was my second ever beer i made, it was straight forward everything you need comes in the kit and i was very satisfied with the result and will definately make this one again.

Conditioning: Sarah Hughes Ruby Mild 6.9% version
Conditioning: Home brew club challenge beer 3.8%
Drinking: Equinox and Mosaic pale 4.5%
R3d Spartan
Brewer

Postby R3d Spartan » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:59

R3d Spartan wrote:I did this Youngs American Amber Ale back in January and has conditioned nicely now. It has a sweet malt, soft fruit citrus flavours along with a bit of grapefruitiness. Very easy drinking, the wife likes this one.

I too brewed the Youngs American Amber Ale in January 2015 and this was only my second homebrew beer, the flavour is exactly as described previous maybe with a tangelo flavour if my memory serves me right. Basically it was so nice it didn't last very long. I thought the Doom Bar comparison was way off and did the beer a great disservice by that comment. Its far better than that. My wife is keen for me to do another one soon. All the Youngs Premium kits have come out well, particularly this one and the American IPA.

Conditioning: Sarah Hughes Ruby Mild 6.9% version
Conditioning: Home brew club challenge beer 3.8%
Drinking: Equinox and Mosaic pale 4.5%
R3d Spartan
Brewer

Postby MrBoy » Mon Sep 21, 2015 14:38

I'd love to hear a side-by-side comparison of the APA and AAA (and AIPA) beers from this range. I couldn't decide which to get as AAA/APA seemed really similar, both heavily dry-hopped.

I like pale ales and hoppiness, but I don't like the dry, overly sour tasting ones.
MrBoy
Brewer

Postby MrBoy » Mon Nov 09, 2015 13:42

I think I'm going to do this one as my next kit, after doing the APA before and loving it.

I don't want to brew short because 5.4% is already at the top-end of my ABV preference, but would it be worth replacing the 600g sugar with something else? If so what would work well - LME/spraymalt would be one obvious idea but what about using a different sugar instead like honey, brown sugar or even treacle? I think (?) the AAA has more flavour and body than the APA so maybe I don't want to go making it even more flavourful though.
MrBoy
Brewer

Postby MrBoy » Mon Apr 18, 2016 23:53

Well, I've just tested the first bottle from my second batch of this kit and thought I'd weigh in...

...it's wonderful! The first beer I've made that I can genuinely say I'd prefer to drink than anything many pubs have on draught. The dry hops are far better balanced against the more rounded ale flavour than the APA in this range.

The first batch of this I did just in time for Christmas and am nearly at the end of - probably it's at or past its best now - and only got about 4.8% ABV. I just tested the first bottle of batch two (5.2%) after two weeks bottle fermenting and it was already wonderful. The hoppiness is far more pronounced but a little unbalanced/raw.

Both batches have come out very clear and have decent head, although the first batch I get inconsistent head from bottle to bottle; some I struggle to pour without the head overflowing, others I have to work hard to get any head. I batch primed so I'm not sure what this is down to. Fingers crossed the new batch is more even.
MrBoy
Brewer