Youngs American Mocha Porter

Kit Brewer, Tell us what you think of the kits you are making, what's good, what's bad, and what should we avoid.

Youngs American Mocha Porter

Postby Dennis King » Fri Apr 07, 2017 20:37

As requested.
Dennis King

Re: Youngs American Mocha Porter

Postby Wee_Dave » Fri Apr 07, 2017 21:46

Thanks, Dennis!!

After a relatively long break from brewing (couple of less than decent efforts, small living space with zero control over temperatures, halving my alcohol intake plus a career change) I've got some time to myself and decided to plan 3 brews in a 6-8 week period. Mainly to get stocks up, but also to rekindle my enthusiasm for brewing.

First up is this: Youngs American Mocha Porter. £22.99 for a 30 pint kit: it's expensive compared to other kits, but I'm hoping that the extra pennies equate to better tasting beer!! :whistle:

The only major faff was getting all the malt out of the pouch. Nigh on impossible to get every last bit out without severely scalding oneself. As soon as you squeeze the pouch it all sticks together (as you'd expect) and - well, let's just say I'd prefer a can....

This is what you get in the box:

2.4kg of malt extract and 600g Dextrose to make it up to 3kg.

It comes with 10g Yeast and about 75g of priming sugar too.

After making it up, the smell of the malt extract was absolutely amazing! Heavy coffee and chocolate, as you would expect. I'm hoping that a good portion of that aroma transfers to the finished product!

OG is 1053, brewed to 17 litres and yeast pitched at 20 degrees.

Update: 14th April 2017 -
7 days In, Krausen has dropped, so I dropped the hydrometer in and it's reading 1020. Sanitised a spoon and gave it a gentle stir as expecting it to have dropped another 5 points or so by now. Looks like I've either not mixed it up as well as I should, or fermentation is taking longer due to the temp fluctuations in my flat (I really need to look at the water bucket and aquarium heater route)
Probably more of the former - for a claimed 5.8%abv on the box, my OG seemed quite low - but definitely some kind of combination of the two. :scratch:
If I can get it sub-1015 and it sticks there, then it'll be bottled.

Wee Dave

FV: Coopers Australian Lager (30g Galaxy dry hop)

Conditioning/Bottled:
Young's American Mocha Porter

Planning: St Peter's IPA (50g - Topaz and Galaxy - dry hop)

Currently Drinking: Store bought beer and occasionally a Turbo Cider until the stock levels are at a reasonable level :hat:
Wee_Dave
Brewer

Postby Wee_Dave » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:21

Well, after the last update (and placing the FV next to the radiator in the hall) I dropped my hydrometer into the FV and got 1.012. ABV calculator gives that as anywhere between 5.3% and 5.6% abv. Happy Days.

Life and work has since got in the way, so have had to wait until today to do another reading... Rubbish Picture Alert:

It's still at 1.012!

3 weeks in the FV however, has given good clarity to this Porter, although I'm certain it'll darken up somewhat during conditioning... :hmm:

Tasted the sample: slight coffee aroma, but no coffee coming through in the taste. I'm hoping once carbed and conditioned, then that may change. Anyway, it's got promise and it's getting bottled tomorrow or (more likely) Bank Holiday Monday.

UPDATE: 1st May 2017:
Early start for me today!
Upon siphoning into the bottling bucket, it appears that I only made this kit up to 16l. So, I've brewed shorter than instructed (meant to be 17l) and not got every single drop of extract out of the pouch. But still ended up with a 5.3% - 5.6%abv, very clear Porter that tastes really nice.

Batch primed with the provided 73g of dextrose, all bottled (27 x 500ml; 2 x 250ml glass Coke bottles and 1 x Corona bottle) and cleared up before SWMBO got out her pit. Even managed to get the breakfast on too. :party:

So with 2 weeks warm and 2 weeks cool to get this carbed, I'm going to leave it for the whole of June and July with the taste test booked in for 7th August (14 weeks today.)

Time to get the next brew on...

Wee Dave

FV: Coopers Australian Lager (30g Galaxy dry hop)

Conditioning/Bottled:
Young's American Mocha Porter

Planning: St Peter's IPA (50g - Topaz and Galaxy - dry hop)

Currently Drinking: Store bought beer and occasionally a Turbo Cider until the stock levels are at a reasonable level :hat:
Wee_Dave
Brewer

Postby Wee_Dave » Sat Jul 15, 2017 19:45

Thought I would update this as I've cracked open a taster bottle and the results are in:

1) Poured well, sediment stuck to bottom of bottle however there was minor ingress.
2) zero head and zero lacing as the beer was drunk. It's definitely carbonated, but to look at, you'd never know :shock:
3) Aroma: nice, subtle coffee notes as well as the roasted aromas you would expect in the style
4) taste: very nice. To give it a commercial equivalent, I'd say it's very similar to Guinness West Indies Porter. That's my opinion however. But I really like that beer, thus I really like this one!

Very happy thus far and I'm looking forward to Christmas/New year knowing my beer needs are 100% catered for. :thumb:

I'll post pictures when it's more aesthetically pleasing! :lol:
Wee_Dave
Brewer