Youngs - American Pale Ale

Kit Brewer, Tell us what you think of the kits you are making, what's good, what's bad, and what should we avoid.

Re: Youngs - American Pale Ale

Postby FurstyFerret » Thu Jun 26, 2014 16:24

Young's sent me a sample bottle of each of the kits and I was very impressed. The kits are well put together, all use a single 3kg pouch of malt extract, with the rest of the weight being made up in dextrose. Unlike the Festival kits, no filter bag is supplied. You can crash cool the brew, or wait an extra week or so for the hops to drop, but I've found that as you siphon, if you still have a layer of hops on the surface, they tend to be dragged to the side and then cling to the walls of the bucket, so you don't tend to get much transfer to your bottles/bottling bucket.

My view is that Young's brought these kits out in response to the Festival range, which are very popular. Time will tell if they decide to broaden the range to other styles, rather than just jumping on the American Pale Ale bandwagon...

Love To Brew - Homebrew supplies in Bristol
FurstyFerret
Vendor

Postby narmour » Mon Jun 30, 2014 09:10

FurstyFerret wrote:Young's sent me a sample bottle of each of the kits and I was very impressed. The kits are well put together, all use a single 3kg pouch of malt extract, with the rest of the weight being made up in dextrose. Unlike the Festival kits, no filter bag is supplied. You can crash cool the brew, or wait an extra week or so for the hops to drop, but I've found that as you siphon, if you still have a layer of hops on the surface, they tend to be dragged to the side and then cling to the walls of the bucket, so you don't tend to get much transfer to your bottles/bottling bucket.

I just tied the toe of one of my wife's tights (clean I should add!!) to the end of the bottling cane and carried on as normal.

Last edited by narmour on Tue Jul 01, 2014 08:39, edited 1 time in total.

The House of Badger Presents, the "Badger's Arse" range.

Planning- Another Youngs APA
Brewing- Kenridge showcase Amarone
Conditioning- Kenridge Showcase Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc, Various WoWs, Perpetual TC, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz
Drinking- Caxton's Real Ale, Youngs APA
narmour
Brewer

Postby stout les » Mon Jun 30, 2014 19:25

After 2 weeks carbonating in the barrel i've now moved it to a cooler room. Had a little sample, it had an excellent creamy head & it was nice & hoppy without being overpowering... this will be a very nice brew once its been left for 3 months or so to fully condition.
stout les
Brewer

Postby fore » Mon Sep 15, 2014 18:54

narmour wrote:Managed to resist, largely due to the green slick of hops on the surface! doesn't look too appetising!

You are not kidding! It looks like someone with real bad stomach problems didn't have time to find the loo. This my first dry hop and it looks far from appetising. Still have high hopes all will turn out well.

Cornie1: Bulldog - Evil Dog Double IPA
Cornie2: waiting
Cornie3: waiting
fore
Brewer

Youngs - American Pale Ale

Postby Gordito » Mon Sep 15, 2014 19:51

A friend of mine made this a few months ago and it tasted really great for a kit! He didn't take a gravity reading first time. He made it again and said the gravity was 1080! I didn't quite believe it. So he was making it a third time and it had the same starting gravity of 1080. He sent me a pic, any one else taken a gravity reading on this?
He said he made it as per instructions and he's clued in.
We also tested the hydrometer in water and it appears fine.

Gordito
Brewer

Postby fore » Wed Sep 17, 2014 20:07

I had added the hops to my secondary fermenter. Next time I will certainly dry hop in my primary for a few days after fermentation has finished, then transfer to secondary for a few days clearing.

Racking didn't go so smooth at all. The little siphon bag I borrowed from my Festival kits blocked my auto-siphon; it kept filling with air. Not good, as some of this bubbled up in the keg. I ended up disposing of the little bag and using the siphon as normal. Also the hops, which were largely floating on the surface, immediately started dropping, so not particularly easy to avoid sucking up. Next time I'll be giving the fermenter a little shake the day before I rack to secondary.

The sample taste though...WOW, fantastic; so hoppy, exactly what I'm searching for. Looking forward to this like crazy now.

fore
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Wed Sep 17, 2014 20:36

LeeH, you'll find it drinkable pretty damn fast. Dry hopping tends to mask any early off flavours leaving you a delicious beer in 2 weeks.
robwalker
Brewer

Postby fore » Sun Sep 28, 2014 18:09

BANG :electric: straight in at #1 for me, of 17 kits brewed in recent times. I doubt however that Young's have managed to pull one out of the bag. I think what I learn with this kit is that dry hopping is easy, and makes a huge improvement over normal kits. There is no homebrew twang at all, but I think the hops help with that.

This beer is very un-malty and very hoppy, just as I like it. It has 5.6% ABV, which is again my preference, 2-3 pints sufficient for a relaxing evening.

I brewed mine in primary for 5 weeks, then transferred to secondary for 4 days of dry hop. Next time I'll just dry hop the last 4 days in primary (after fermentation has finished), then clear a few days in secondary. I'm sure it will be a lot easier. It took the longest time to get going, so much so that even though I knew it was normally the case, I still got worried. This was also the first beer I made with 100% filtered water.

I started drinking after 1 week in the Cornie. It's very clear, almost commercial. The hop bang adds that extra layer of complexity and flavour that takes this kit into another league. I already noticed that the hop bang is not quite as strong as it was a week ago, so I know that I prefer the hop flavour as strong as you can get it. This is a great kit and bottled versions will be finding their way to friends and colleagues so I can show off 8-).

fore
Brewer

Postby paul » Thu Oct 02, 2014 14:28

I've got this one in bottles now, and reading these reviews I'm looking forward to trying it.

It was in primary for 3 weeks, with the hops added at the start of week 3. Timings could have been better, but I had to work around the holiday that I'd forgotten when starting the brew.

@gordito: OG for me was 1.055 - pretty much as expected IIRC. FG of 1.010 which means it's about 6%.

This is going straight in the fridge when I get home tonight...
paul
Brewer

Postby matt666 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 20:54

Mine's been in the fermenter for two and a half weeks now and it's still only at 1.015, looks like it's definitely a long ferment. Given it a quick stir to hurry it up.
matt666
Brewer

Postby matt666 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 20:45

Three weeks in and it's still 1.013 with a layer of krausen. It's supposed to be 1.010 before adding hops and get down to 1.008! It's gonna be 4 weeks in the fv minimum. Plus point is it already tastes good even without the hop addition.
matt666
Brewer

Postby davidto » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:44

What weight was the pouch? I assumed these were all 2 can kits!
davidto
Brewer

Postby matt666 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:55

Pouch is 3KG, I think you get about the same LME as a two can kit. Then 600g brewing sugar to up the abv.
matt666
Brewer

Postby matt666 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 20:13

After a little accident with the keg, this has been conditioning now for a few weeks and has turned into a really nice pint. Don't think it needed much time to condition after being in the FV for 5 weeks! Just needs another couple of weeks to round off the bitter aftertaste, but the hop taste isn't too strong, I think this will be best drunk early so it doesn't fade too much.
matt666
Brewer

Postby pixeljuice » Fri Jun 12, 2015 00:24

5 days....

Nothing is happening with mine...

Going to be patient... But this is definitely a slow-starter.. Did everything by the book... Literally nothing at all happening...

I reckon it's going to be a month in primary, then a week of dry-hop...

That's if it even kicks off at all. I reckon the yeast is borked, with the kit I bought... Seriously considering adding some more yeast... As after 5 days I would have thought something would happen... Nothing at all..

I have a fermenter, filled with malty water, at present....

Not all that impressed really, as I hoped it'd kick off faster...

But hey... I'm patient. Going to leave it another 5 days. Then reconsider my options.
pixeljuice
Brewer

Postby MrBoy » Mon Sep 21, 2015 14:50

This was/is my first kit - coming up to two weeks conditioning this weekend.

Unlike others here, my fermentation seemed to be done in about a week to ten days, I think I bottled it two weeks after starting with the hops going in 2-3 days before the end.
I racked mine to a secondary FV on the last day, purely to add the sugar and avoid the trub, and bottled a few hours later.

Contrary to what others experienced, mine certainly wasn't nice right away. I could taste the beer flavour and hoppiness but there was an incredibly strong yeasty taste, and smell.

I opened one bottle a week after bottling and it was almost flat, and still extremely yeasty. Had another a week later and it was nicely carbonated and less yeasty, but there was a weird taste/aroma. The first impression on the nose was quite chemically but you stopped noticing it mostly.

Then it went in the garage to condition (after two weeks carbonating inside). I tried another last weekend, a week later, and it definitely seemed to have improved but was still a bit weird. I cannot comment if this is "kit twang" and since I can't think how to describe it, we might never know!

I wonder what I did differently to you guys. My apparatus was all brand new and I sterilised it carefully. I almost wondered if the brand new plastic might have played a role but surely these FVs are inert? It's sort of a bitter, slightly chemical kind of under-taste at this point.
MrBoy
Brewer

Postby Rivvo » Tue Sep 22, 2015 09:20

You say your fermentation 'seemed to be done' did you check with a hydrometer, you need to take readings over two to three days to make sure it's stopped, it may not always hit the target FG on the instructions but a consistent reading over time will tell you that it's done. Some also like to crash cool the beer down for a few days before bringing up to room temperature, priming and bottling. It sounds like you still had quite a lot of yeast in your bottles, plus they would need at least three weeks after bottling before being remotely drinkable imho, and that's for an all grain recipe, I left my kits for several months and still wasn't that happy with them.

Drinking - Pater's Biere, Golden Mile summer ale, Brittania bitter, Red Sun Ryesing, All around the world IPA, Temptation Tripel, Old Shuch stout,
Bottled and conditioning -
Fermenting -
Rivvo
Brewer

Postby MrBoy » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:57

Yeah, I waited for stable gravity over a 3 day period. Since I racked and then bottled right away, without cooling, maybe I just stirred up the trub a bit more?

I wasn't particularly expecting it to be nice right away, in fact what I've read says the opposite, but a few people here seemed to say it was delicious right out the FV. Maybe their tastes differ from mine, otherwise something must be different :)

This kit recommends drinking fairly quickly (in a few months) while the hoppiness is still bright and fresh by the way, though I can't comment on how true that is.
MrBoy
Brewer

Postby jtanner » Tue Dec 08, 2015 14:31

Hi - I'm new to all this but am drawn to this kit for my first attempt because everyone seems to love it. I just wanted to ask - does it include equipment needed to brew, bottle etc? Thanks
jtanner
Brewer

Postby supersteve » Tue Dec 08, 2015 14:41

jtanner wrote:Hi - I'm new to all this but am drawn to this kit for my first attempt because everyone seems to love it. I just wanted to ask - does it include equipment needed to brew, bottle etc? Thanks

This does - http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/American-Pale-Ale-MicroBrewery-Starter-Kit.html#.Vmbd4TZOeUk

Just the pale ale kit by it's own is just the kit not the brewing kit.
supersteve
Brewer

Postby jtanner » Fri Dec 11, 2015 01:33

That's perfect, thank you!
jtanner
Brewer

Postby belfastjacko » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:22

The youngs kits are top of the range as far as I am concerned, but the APA didn't quite work out for me either I still have a load of bottles left over from the summer. Might give it another lash and this time keg it.
belfastjacko
Brewer

Postby Zod » Tue May 09, 2017 12:48

I've had this in the FV at 18c for two weeks now. Airlock has been regularly bubbling since then. I've never had such a lengthy ferment! All other kits I've done have been finished within a week......or got stuck.

Zod
Brewer

Postby MarkF » Sat May 20, 2017 06:48

First try for me on this kit and first go in the fermenting fridge, OG 1.064, sat at 22 degrees reading on the stick on thermometer which has been stable, after 7 days at 1.026 4.9%, still a way to go yet.

edit: scratch that I am doing the IPA, but I have done the APA and it was very good.
MarkF
Brewer

Previous