Youngs Premier Ales - Hoppy and Glorious

Kit Brewer, Tell us what you think of the kits you are making, what's good, what's bad, and what should we avoid.

Youngs Premier Ales - Hoppy and Glorious

Postby tim_n » Thu Sep 01, 2016 20:42

I won this kit at the home brew festival - the extract kits I've brewed have mostly been wherry, though I've brewed a couple of "make your own" kits, one of which turned out quite well in the extract category.

I'm always deeply suspicious of anything with an England flag and green things in the background which look like sports fields. Mostly because I dislike those little flags people stick on their cars and have an allergy to all field sports.

I digress. Funnily enough, the kits have been the only place where I've dry hopped.

This kit is no exception - physically very similar to the make your own, it comes with a 3.4kg hopped LME pouch, brewing sugar, priming sugar, yeast and hop pellets.

I do not like LME pouches. They're a real pain to get everything out. With a can, you can wash it out with boiling water, but try doing that with a pouch. Saying that I've done my best to squeeze out the contents and I managed an OG of 1.044. If anyone beats that, I'd like to know!

Whilst the instructions say two weeks from start to finish, most my brews have fermented within 3-4 days. The instructions being "add hops when gravity drops to 1.020 or a couple of days before bottling". After a week I checked my gravity and it was 1.015, I added the hops, though really I was hoping the kit would get down to 1.008 within the week. Four days later and we've hit 1.010 so fermentation is still progressing. The beer is supposed to be 5% which means it needs to 1.006 I've literally never had a beer go that low, hence my concern too much was left in the squeezy packet.

The sample taken today shows it has a fresh hoppy flavour, a good level of bitterness and no sweetness. The kit doesn't seem to have a "homebrew" aroma and is overall, very pleasant. I'll ferment out until Sunday when I'll start the crash cool. I'd like to see if it reaches 1.006!

Looks promising. It's a shame that the packaging would put me off in a shop, saying that I'm not really an extract brewer so not exactly their market anyway. It does make me want to try a few more extract brews though.

Tim

http://www.waark.com - My forays into homebrewing & grow your own
tim_n
Brewer

Re: Premium Ales Hoppy and Glorious

Postby sandimas » Thu Sep 01, 2016 21:55

tim_n wrote:I'm always deeply suspicious of anything with an England flag and green things in the background which look like sports fields. Mostly because I dislike those little flags people stick on their cars and have an allergy to all field sports.

That's a really good point. Was in the LHBS last week, saw this kit and thought "what the hell is that". The owner told me the football packaging was putting a lot of people off and these kits had to be reduced to sell. Didn't think I was influenced by branding but this one definately had a negative effect on me, and no I didn't buy one.
sandimas
Brewer

Re: Premium Ales Hoppy and Glorious

Postby tim_n » Fri Sep 02, 2016 13:40

sandimas wrote:
tim_n wrote:I'm always deeply suspicious of anything with an England flag and green things in the background which look like sports fields. Mostly because I dislike those little flags people stick on their cars and have an allergy to all field sports.

That's a really good point. Was in the LHBS last week, saw this kit and thought "what the hell is that". The owner told me the football packaging was putting a lot of people off and these kits had to be reduced to sell. Didn't think I was influenced by branding but this one definately had a negative effect on me, and no I didn't buy one.

Probably a poor decision on Youngs behalf, it's the only one in the range that seems to branded this way. It appears to be a fairly drinkable beer. I wouldn't probably brew it again.

Last edited by tim_n on Tue Jun 06, 2017 08:16, edited 1 time in total.
tim_n
Brewer

Re: Youngs Premier Ales - Hoppy and Glorious

Postby Glen_fanthom » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:18

I'm new to brewing and got this kit in a starter pack was it any good
Glen_fanthom
Brewer

Postby tim_n » Mon Jan 23, 2017 13:03

When I came to keg up after the crash cool I took a sample fairly close to the hop bag and it was probably the most disgusting thing I'd ever tasted - incredibly astringent. I almost threw it away then and there, however later on I took a 2nd sample (probably away from the hop bag) and found it OK but quite green still.

I did keg it however and have tried it. It's an average beer & I've had worse in pubs. I wouldn't buy the kit out of choice though - I much prefer the wherry kit.

To be honest though Glen, I much prefer those made via all grain - I certainly wouldn't go back to kits out of choice, if it's there, I'll brew it for the fun. Saying that, at THBF 2015, I won 3rd place with a kit which I only entered for a laugh because it was bottled. I thought it was pretty naff. My favourite all grain didn't even place and I felt it was a winner - my subpar wheatbeer got 2nd. So basically I wouldn't go much by my taste buds!

Tim

http://www.waark.com - My forays into homebrewing & grow your own
tim_n
Brewer

Postby Glen_fanthom » Tue Jan 24, 2017 08:55

Lol I've got mine in bottles now I decided to crack 1 open last night bit early but like you say not the worst beer but wasn't the best tbh I only got it in a starter pack so gave it a go that starter pack was only £20
Glen_fanthom
Brewer

Postby tim_n » Tue Jun 06, 2017 08:17

I'm entering it into THBF kit beer selection. I'll post up the results when I get them in!
tim_n
Brewer