Water Profile Creation Request

Details of water profiles as supplied to members, either by a professional lab test, or from a water company website/request.

Creation of topics in this forum is controlled, please request a topic created if you wish to add your water profile, by posting in the stickied thread.

Water Profile Creation Request

Postby Aleman » Sun Nov 09, 2014 19:55

If you want topic created to post your water profile please request it here.

We require you water supply name and code (from your water company website), as well as your profile.

Ideally we need to see

Calcium
Magnesium
Sodium
Potassium
Sulphate
Chloride
Alkalinity

We are not interested in hardness or any alkalinity figure derived mathematically from the hardness figure, if your water company doesn't list alkalinity ask them for it, you may have to go the the lab before you can get someone who actually understands what you want. If you are successul then publish how you got the data here as well, it may help another member get it for a different supply zone.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Re: Water Profile Creation Request

Postby GrahamT » Sun Nov 09, 2014 20:29

OK - I can list those details for Scarborough 2004 (2807503) water supply zone. The alkalinity would be my reading from a Salifert test. They don't give potassium.

Busy in the Summer House Brewery
GrahamT
Brewer

Postby mark1964 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 14:16

Here is our water report for the West Hull area

The map represents the area covered

ITS TIME 4 ANOTHER BEER
mark1964
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Wed Dec 31, 2014 17:53

mark1964 wrote:Here is our water report for the West Hull area

Hi Mark,

I've been away for a bit and only just returned to be able to process this. This just goes to show how useless water company reports can be, apart from alkalinity the readings were all taken in april, and only alkalinity recently. When I plumbed them into a calculator I use (am working on) I get the following.

HessleWater.PNG
HessleWater.PNG (16.38 KiB) Viewed 1914 times

As it doesn't balance there is little point in doing any water treatment beyond reducing the alkalinity, and I'm not going to create a post for something that is obviously wrong.

If you want a complete water report, that actually balances contact Wallybrew on here via PM and pay for Phoenix Analytical (25 Quid) to do one.

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby Dennis King » Wed Dec 31, 2014 20:59

+1 for wallybrews testing, well worth £25.
Dennis King

Postby Joe1002 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 22:42

+2 for wallybrew's water analysis service, 2nd to none :thumb:

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Joe1002

Postby MPLMPL » Fri Aug 07, 2015 19:29

Water Supply: SouthEast Leicester ZLC27 from Ragdale Reservoir. 100% from Melbourne Treatment Plant NW of Loughborough.
From a phone call to Severn & Trent July 2015:

Total Hardness as CaCO3 (mg/L) 248.16
Ca2+ 75.34
Mg2+ 14.41
Na+ 25.99
SO42- 87.34
Cl- 39.94

I've just determined alkalinity, Ca2+ and Mg2+ myself by titration.
Alkalinity - titrated with 0.122 M HCl using mixed indicator (Bromocresol Green and Methyl Red, I think this is what Salifert use).
Determined total of Ca2+ and Mg2+ by titration with 0.01M EDTA at pH 10.5 (pH10.5 buffer NH4Cl/NH4OH) using Eriochrome Black T indicator)
Determined total of Ca2+ by titration with 0.01M EDTA at pH 12.0 to precipitate Mg(OH)2 (pH12 by addition of 8M NaOH) using Patton-Reeder (Cal-Red) indicator.

Alkalinity as CaCO3 148
Ca2+ 77
Mg2+ 14.72
Total Hardness as CaCO3 252

So, the Severn and Trent numbers are pretty up to date as they are essentially the same as mine.

I think it's time I started treating my water in addition to my usual campden tablet.
Having seen these numbers, it is no surprise that my best brews so far have been stouts and porters and whilst I've thoroughly enjoyed the APAs I have brewed, they're not quite there.
Time to reduce my alkalinity and add a bit of gypsum.

The troubles of our proud and angry dust
Are from eternity, and shall not fail.
Bear them we can, and if we can we must.
Shoulder the sky, my lad, and drink your ale.
A. E. Housman
MPLMPL
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Wed Aug 10, 2016 20:04

I've gotten hold of a Murphy & Son report for Edinburgh (Glencorse B). It really is a blank canvas. Permission to post masters?
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby GrowlingDog » Wed Aug 10, 2016 23:47

rlemkin wrote:I've gotten hold of a Murphy & Son report for Edinburgh (Glencorse B). It really is a blank canvas. Permission to post masters?

Feel free to post. Let's hope the numbers add up ;)
GrowlingDog
Admin

Postby rlemkin » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:11

GrowlingDog wrote:
rlemkin wrote:I've gotten hold of a Murphy & Son report for Edinburgh (Glencorse B). It really is a blank canvas. Permission to post masters?

Feel free to post. Let's hope the numbers add up ;)

ph - 6.12
Nitrate - 4.1
Calcium - 8
Magnesium - 1
Chloride - 6.3
Sulphate - 13.9
Alkalinity (CaCO3) - 25
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby The Goatreich » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:28

Out in interest, how often is it worth retesting water if I was to pay Wallybrew for an analysis?

Fermenting: AG#28 Things Can Only Get Bitter
Conditioning:
Drinking: AG#25 Williamsburg Wannabe, AG#26 #Tis the Saison, AG#27 Winter Equinox
----------------------------------------------
Twitter: @andimorris616
Instagram: @andimorris616
The Goatreich
Brewer

Postby Eric » Thu Aug 11, 2016 22:14

The Goatreich wrote:Out in interest, how often is it worth retesting water if I was to pay Wallybrew for an analysis?

Depends if and how much your water varies. It is advisable to measure alkalinity with a kit every brew until you confirm any variation isn't significant. If like my water it varies significantly, it needs regular analysis. In my case I had 4 samples tested which confirmed it was possible to predict with sufficient accuracy its mineral content after a simple TDS measurement.

In the case of the Scottish water shown above I would doubt a second test would be necessary due to its relatively insignificant mineral content. The only significant figure is for alkalinity which can be measured every brew and adjusted if necessary.
Eric
Brewer

Postby The Goatreich » Mon Aug 15, 2016 09:10

Thanks.

Fermenting: AG#28 Things Can Only Get Bitter
Conditioning:
Drinking: AG#25 Williamsburg Wannabe, AG#26 #Tis the Saison, AG#27 Winter Equinox
----------------------------------------------
Twitter: @andimorris616
Instagram: @andimorris616
The Goatreich
Brewer

Postby DethApostle » Tue Aug 23, 2016 13:45

Here's my figures from Chester. It's Dee Valley Water, Pipers Ash Zone from 2015 though annoyingly I have forgotten to bring in the letter back from the water company so will edit my post later today with the Calcium and Magnesium figures! I did request Potassium but it's apparently not something they monitor.

Calcium: 31.85 mg/l
Magnesium: 4.71 mg/l
Sodium: 16.14 mg/l
Potassium: Not available
Sulphate: 37.5 mg/l
Chloride: 24.1 mg/l
Alkalinity: 104 ppm as CaCO3

I'm only starting out on my Water-tinkering adventures so have no idea if these are good, bad or whatever! I only have anecdotal evidence that I seem to get better efficiency and results when brewing dark beers over light beers. All advice and knowledge shared will be readily accepted!

Cheers
DA

Serving: AG37: Smoked Chipotle Porter, AG41: Maibock
Bottled: AG3: The GPSE, AG14: Plum Porter, AG 25: Russian Imperial Stout
Conditioning: AG42: Rye Saison
Fermenting: AG43: Banoffe Gose
Planning: AG44: tbc
--------------------------
Brewed in 2012: 200 pints
Brewed in 2013: 560 pints
Brewed in 2014: 360 pints
Brewed in 2015: 280 pints
Brewed in 2016: 320 pints
Brewed in 2017: 200 pints
DethApostle
Brewer

Postby Eric » Tue Aug 23, 2016 23:07

DethApostle wrote:Here's my figures from Chester. It's Dee Valley Water, Pipers Ash Zone from 2015 though annoyingly I have forgotten to bring in the letter back from the water company so will edit my post later today with the Calcium and Magnesium figures! I did request Potassium but it's apparently not something they monitor.

Calcium: 31.85 mg/l
Magnesium: 4.71 mg/l
Sodium: 16.14 mg/l
Potassium: Not available
Sulphate: 37.5 mg/l
Chloride: 24.1 mg/l
Alkalinity: 104 ppm as CaCO3

I'm only starting out on my Water-tinkering adventures so have no idea if these are good, bad or whatever! I only have anecdotal evidence that I seem to get better efficiency and results when brewing dark beers over light beers. All advice and knowledge shared will be readily accepted!

Cheers
DA

Yes, that water is more suitable for producing dark beers, but any beer you care to make would be improved by appropriate water treatment.
Maybe reading this might help your start. Getting a Salifert kit to measure alkalinity before and after its treatment will be a must for making pale beers.
Between a third and half a gram of calcium chloride flake per litre of liquor in your next dark beer should make an improvement.
Eric
Brewer