Good Ed's Ballantine IPA

APA, AIPA, IIPA, BIPA etc

Good Ed's Ballantine IPA

Postby Dennis King » Sun Jun 28, 2015 22:16

I was given a bottle of this by Will, good Ed, at the recent festival. Was expecting a big in your face American beer but what I have just drank was a superb, well balanced beautiful beer. A slight haze, Will did mention there was a lot of yeast in the bottle, subtle hop aroma that seems quite unique. At 7.56% not a session beer so probably good I've only the one bottle. Cheers Will.
Dennis King

Re: Good Ed's Ballantine IPA

Postby Good Ed » Mon Jun 29, 2015 08:36

Cheers Dennis, it was a recipe from Mitch Steele's book and I got hold of some ECY-10 which is supposedly the Ballantine ale yeast. Although I'm a bit puzzled why it has such a shitty bottom as the yeast is supposed to be highly flocculent. It's now 9 months old and the richness has smoothed out.

Here's to the man who drinks strong ale,
and goes to bed quite mellow.
Lives as he ought to live,
and dies a jolly good fellow.
- Old English folk song
Good Ed
Brewer

Postby GrahamT » Mon Jun 29, 2015 14:20

Sounds great. I saw one guy saying that he grows up and decants brewery yeast cultures after 48 hours I think, to get rid of the less flocculant cells that may have mutated, before stepping up or pitching. I have a gallon with St Austell yeast (bottle harvest) which went off brilliantly with a real top croppy looking head in the DJ. 8 Days on, it's as murky as hell, while the rest of the batch with WY1098 is bright clear. I'm wondering if I should have followed his advice.

Busy in the Summer House Brewery
GrahamT
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Mon Jun 29, 2015 21:16

I've had a few of ed's beers and theyre always so balanced and beautifully soft and quaffable!
robwalker
Brewer