[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4769: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
The Brewing Forum • View topic - Hurricane Bawbag - Stone Arrogrant Bastard Clone

Hurricane Bawbag - Stone Arrogrant Bastard Clone

Postby rlemkin » Sun Oct 19, 2014 17:16

Perusing the interwebs in search of recipes I came across this beer, turns out it's loaded with hops I have in the freezer and is something slightly different from an IPA. 8-)

I've never been in the US and been able to drink (legally), so I've never tried Stone's Arrogant Bastard. It looks like a mix between an American IPA and something darker and stronger - classed as an American Strong Ale. What intrigues me about it is the use of Belgian Special B Malt into something hoppy.

I've taken a recipe from over on a US homebrew forum - - and looking at adapting this slightly and brewing it up in the next few days.

Oh yes.. I was trying to give it a Scottish twist, but gave up and just went for the silly name instead. If you missed Hurricane Bawbag it even has it's own wiki page

===
Hurricane Bawbag
===
~7% - 85 IBU - 4.5L as usual, but Brewtoad does make it really easy to scale it up.
====
Maris Otter - 1.3kg (90%)
Special B - 150g (10%)
====
Mash at 65c
====
90 minute boil
====
Chinook (10%aa) - 85 minutes - 6g
Chinook (10%aa) - 45 minutes - 7g
Chinook (10%aa) - 15 minutes - 8g
Chinook (10%aa) - 0 minutes - 10g
====
S-04 yeast
====
Est OG:1.066
Est FG:1.016

Will post feedback in due course :)
rlemkin
Brewer

Re: Hurricane Bawbag - Stone Arrogrant Bastard Clone

Postby bobsbeer » Sun Oct 19, 2014 17:40

Seems like Stones have met Allan. :lol: Hope it turns out fine. :thumb. I might make one to bring to the Festival.
bobsbeer
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Sun Oct 19, 2014 17:44

rlemkin
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Mon Oct 20, 2014 22:55

Just about to put this into the FV.

Special B malt smells absolutely fantastic, sweet, dark treacle, raisins etc. This is an interesting recipe, quite a low mash temp, lots of IBUs and a tonne of caramel malt for a hoppy brew.
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby KevinS » Wed Oct 22, 2014 09:09

Will be really interested to see how this turns out, I love Arrogant Bastard! Its definately on my list of future brews

Would love to see what final gravity you can get it down to, I always struggle to get S-04 past 70% attentuation so if you managed to get the full 75% - please give me some tips :)

Ps. Yeah, Brewdog definitely seem to have been inspired by Stone's confidence/bravado marketing. I always preferred Stone's for some reason though, just always seemed to have a bit more class than say 'Trashy blonde'. Maybe thats just me though...
KevinS
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Wed Oct 22, 2014 20:30

rlemkin
Brewer

Postby Scott-Westy » Thu Feb 19, 2015 13:08

How did this turn out guys? Its going to be my next brew as I have a load of Chinook in the freezer.

Planning - Cascade DIPA, Anniversary Saison, RIS
Fermenting - NZ Pale
Conditioning - Ruby Mild v2
Drinking - Czech Pilsner, Sour Rye Saison, Ruby Mild, Red Jester, Witbier
Scott-Westy
Brewer

Postby Pjam » Thu Feb 19, 2015 14:17

Does this 'Arrogrant Bastard' have anything to do with Motorhead? I know they made (or out their name to) a beer sounding similar.
Pjam
Brewer

Postby Baldbrewer » Sun May 17, 2015 12:59

Hey guys,
Love this beer , I was lucky enough to go to San Diego with work for 3 weeks and love the SD beer scene.
Some fantastic breweries out there ,some I went to were Ballast point,lightning brewery,Stone garden in Esondido,Alpine brewery.
Anyway I've brewed my version yesterday,
I hit 1.072 OG and I pitched malt millers west coast yeast which comes in 15 g packs, I rehydrated this first.
Currently bubbling away nicely at 20c.
It's a delicious beer, brewing it this time I went for a UK pale malt(crisps) just to see if there is any difference.
I also used a Blichmann Hoprocket stuffed with the 50g of chinook before my plate chiller,I open the valve let the hops soak for about 5 mins then open the valves and using the plate chiller I can fill the fermenting vessel in 10 mins with 18c wort.

As I use a Braumeister I'm limited to the weight in kg shown The recipe, however 7.0% ABV is good enough for me lol!Image

:cheers:
Baldbrewer
Brewer

Postby rodwha » Tue Aug 25, 2015 15:57

I'm wondering how this turned out. I love this beer!

I had help formulating a recipe but it wasn't even close to the real thing and had no Special B. Still good though.

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

"I ask not the favor given to Paul," Copernicus said, "I seek not the grace bestowed upon Peter--but I beg the mercy granted to the thief on the cross!" - Alexander Smellie 1899
rodwha
Brewer

Postby LeithR » Tue Aug 25, 2015 17:02

For reference - Bawbags in Scotland is a colloquialism for underpants. (Ball bags) :thumb: :o

Puppy Slacko 5.9.3 Linux user see for details.

Searching for other planets? Why, this is the only one with beer!
LeithR
Brewer

Postby rodwha » Tue Aug 25, 2015 21:27

:thumb:

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

"I ask not the favor given to Paul," Copernicus said, "I seek not the grace bestowed upon Peter--but I beg the mercy granted to the thief on the cross!" - Alexander Smellie 1899
rodwha
Brewer

Postby rodwha » Wed Aug 26, 2015 02:22

Just clicked on the wiki and found out a bit more about bawbags!

:cheers1:

rodwha
Brewer

Postby Wee_Dave » Fri Sep 11, 2015 20:17

Wee Dave

FV: Coopers Australian Lager (30g Galaxy dry hop)

Conditioning/Bottled:
Young's American Mocha Porter

Planning: St Peter's IPA (50g - Topaz and Galaxy - dry hop)

Currently Drinking: Store bought beer and occasionally a Turbo Cider until the stock levels are at a reasonable level :hat:
Wee_Dave
Brewer