Hurricane Bawbag - Stone Arrogrant Bastard Clone

Postby rlemkin » Sun Oct 19, 2014 17:16

Perusing the interwebs in search of recipes I came across this beer, turns out it's loaded with hops I have in the freezer and is something slightly different from an IPA. 8-)

I've never been in the US and been able to drink (legally), so I've never tried Stone's Arrogant Bastard. It looks like a mix between an American IPA and something darker and stronger - classed as an American Strong Ale. What intrigues me about it is the use of Belgian Special B Malt into something hoppy.

I've taken a recipe from over on a US homebrew forum - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-you-brew-recipe-stone-arrogant-bastard-176191/index5.html - and looking at adapting this slightly and brewing it up in the next few days.

Oh yes.. I was trying to give it a Scottish twist, but gave up and just went for the silly name instead. If you missed Hurricane Bawbag it even has it's own wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Bawbag

===
Hurricane Bawbag
===
~7% - 85 IBU - 4.5L as usual, but Brewtoad does make it really easy to scale it up. https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/hurricane-bawbag-arrogant-bastard-clone
====
Maris Otter - 1.3kg (90%)
Special B - 150g (10%)
====
Mash at 65c
====
90 minute boil
====
Chinook (10%aa) - 85 minutes - 6g
Chinook (10%aa) - 45 minutes - 7g
Chinook (10%aa) - 15 minutes - 8g
Chinook (10%aa) - 0 minutes - 10g
====
S-04 yeast
====
Est OG:1.066
Est FG:1.016

Will post feedback in due course :)
rlemkin
Brewer

Re: Hurricane Bawbag - Stone Arrogrant Bastard Clone

Postby bobsbeer » Sun Oct 19, 2014 17:40

Seems like Stones have met Allan. :lol: Hope it turns out fine. :thumb. I might make one to bring to the Festival.
bobsbeer
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Sun Oct 19, 2014 17:44

bobsbeer wrote:Seems like Stones have met Allan. :lol: Hope it turns out fine. :thumb. I might make one to bring to the Festival.

:hat:

On a side note their marketing BS must surely be the inspiration for BrewDog

This is an aggressive ale. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory–maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it’s made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beverage will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make things taste better. Perhaps you’re mouthing your words as you read this.

At Stone Brewing, we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny - a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid. Brought forth upon an unsuspecting public in 1997, Arrogant Bastard Ale openly challenged the tyrannical overlords who were brazenly attempting to keep Americans chained in the shackles of poor taste. As the progenitor of its style, Arrogant Bastard Ale has reveled in its unprecedented and uncompromising celebration of intensity. There have been many nods to Arrogant Bastard Ale…even outright attempts to copy it… but only one can ever embody the true nature of liquid Arrogance!

:electric:
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Mon Oct 20, 2014 22:55

Just about to put this into the FV.

Special B malt smells absolutely fantastic, sweet, dark treacle, raisins etc. This is an interesting recipe, quite a low mash temp, lots of IBUs and a tonne of caramel malt for a hoppy brew.
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby KevinS » Wed Oct 22, 2014 09:09

Will be really interested to see how this turns out, I love Arrogant Bastard! Its definately on my list of future brews

Would love to see what final gravity you can get it down to, I always struggle to get S-04 past 70% attentuation so if you managed to get the full 75% - please give me some tips :)

Ps. Yeah, Brewdog definitely seem to have been inspired by Stone's confidence/bravado marketing. I always preferred Stone's for some reason though, just always seemed to have a bit more class than say 'Trashy blonde'. Maybe thats just me though...
KevinS
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Wed Oct 22, 2014 20:30

KevinS wrote:Will be really interested to see how this turns out, I love Arrogant Bastard! Its definately on my list of future brews

Would love to see what final gravity you can get it down to, I always struggle to get S-04 past 70% attentuation so if you managed to get the full 75% - please give me some tips :)

Ps. Yeah, Brewdog definitely seem to have been inspired by Stone's confidence/bravado marketing. I always preferred Stone's for some reason though, just always seemed to have a bit more class than say 'Trashy blonde'. Maybe thats just me though...

Hopefully it goes the full way to 75%, if I only get 70% it's going to come in with an FG of 1.020 :|

Big krausen and went like a rocket for about 30 hours, but quietened right down now..
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby Scott-Westy » Thu Feb 19, 2015 13:08

How did this turn out guys? Its going to be my next brew as I have a load of Chinook in the freezer.

Planning - Cascade DIPA, Anniversary Saison, RIS
Fermenting - NZ Pale
Conditioning - Ruby Mild v2
Drinking - Czech Pilsner, Sour Rye Saison, Ruby Mild, Red Jester, Witbier
Scott-Westy
Brewer

Postby Pjam » Thu Feb 19, 2015 14:17

Does this 'Arrogrant Bastard' have anything to do with Motorhead? I know they made (or out their name to) a beer sounding similar.
Pjam
Brewer

Postby Baldbrewer » Sun May 17, 2015 12:59

Hey guys,
Love this beer , I was lucky enough to go to San Diego with work for 3 weeks and love the SD beer scene.
Some fantastic breweries out there ,some I went to were Ballast point,lightning brewery,Stone garden in Esondido,Alpine brewery.
Anyway I've brewed my version yesterday,
I hit 1.072 OG and I pitched malt millers west coast yeast which comes in 15 g packs, I rehydrated this first.
Currently bubbling away nicely at 20c.
It's a delicious beer, brewing it this time I went for a UK pale malt(crisps) just to see if there is any difference.
I also used a Blichmann Hoprocket stuffed with the 50g of chinook before my plate chiller,I open the valve let the hops soak for about 5 mins then open the valves and using the plate chiller I can fill the fermenting vessel in 10 mins with 18c wort.

As I use a Braumeister I'm limited to the weight in kg shown The recipe, however 7.0% ABV is good enough for me lol!Image

:cheers:
Baldbrewer
Brewer

Postby rodwha » Tue Aug 25, 2015 15:57

I'm wondering how this turned out. I love this beer!

I had help formulating a recipe but it wasn't even close to the real thing and had no Special B. Still good though.

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

"I ask not the favor given to Paul," Copernicus said, "I seek not the grace bestowed upon Peter--but I beg the mercy granted to the thief on the cross!" - Alexander Smellie 1899
rodwha
Brewer

Postby LeithR » Tue Aug 25, 2015 17:02

For reference - Bawbags in Scotland is a colloquialism for underpants. (Ball bags) :thumb: :o

Hop Tea - how to

Puppy Slacko 5.9.3 Linux user see HERE for details.

Searching for other planets? Why, this is the only one with beer!
LeithR
Brewer

Postby rodwha » Tue Aug 25, 2015 21:27

:thumb:

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

"I ask not the favor given to Paul," Copernicus said, "I seek not the grace bestowed upon Peter--but I beg the mercy granted to the thief on the cross!" - Alexander Smellie 1899
rodwha
Brewer

Postby rodwha » Wed Aug 26, 2015 02:22

Just clicked on the wiki and found out a bit more about bawbags!

:cheers1:

rodwha
Brewer

Postby Wee_Dave » Fri Sep 11, 2015 20:17

LeithR wrote:For reference - Bawbags in Scotland is a colloquialism for underpants. (Ball bags) :thumb: :o

Maybe up your neck of the woods mate :D

Down here, in the leafy suburbs of Ye Olde Glasgow Towne, bawbag is the word for your sack that holds yer testes in (bawsack being a similar term of endearment :lol:).

So, calling your mate a "bawbag" is definitely not calling him a pair of underpants!

Wee Dave

FV: Coopers Australian Lager (30g Galaxy dry hop)

Conditioning/Bottled:
Young's American Mocha Porter

Planning: St Peter's IPA (50g - Topaz and Galaxy - dry hop)

Currently Drinking: Store bought beer and occasionally a Turbo Cider until the stock levels are at a reasonable level :hat:
Wee_Dave
Brewer