Hopping Monster - IPA

APA, AIPA, IIPA, BIPA etc

Hopping Monster - IPA

Postby rlemkin » Thu Oct 16, 2014 15:00

Hopping Monster - American IPA -~6% = ~80 IBU

I brewed this a while ago, aiming for quite a full on American IPA and it certainly worked! My favourite brew so far.. a fruity and bitter yet balanced hop bomb. Columbus, Centennial, Cascade and Mosaic work together nicely.

Took this along to the home brew club and I've attached the comments here.

‘I’m hoppy with this’
‘Nice, prefer it to other IPA as it has less dry
character’
‘little too bitter for me given how dry it is.
Nice hoppiness’
‘Nice hop aroma. Mouthfeel is good. Little
watery to me’
‘nice, bit earthy’
‘could use more bitterness, really nice’
‘tastes like a session IPA but stronger.’
‘Very tasty


Full recipe on brewtoad - https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/hopping-monster

4L batch @ 78 efficiency

900g Maris Otter (94%)
50g Amber (6%)

Mash @65c
OG 1.058 -> FG 1.010

====
Nottingham Ale Yeast
====

60 minute

5g Columbus (1.25 g/l)

15 minute

1g Centennial (0.25g/l)
1g Cascade (0.25 g/l)

10 minute

3g Centennial (0.75g/l)
3g Cascade (0.75g/l)
3g Mosaic (0.75g/l)

5 minute

3g Centennial (0.75g/l)
3g Cascade (0.75g/l)
3g Mosaic (0.75g/l)

Flame out

5g Centennial (1.25g/l)
5g Cascade (1.25g/l)
5g Mosaic (1.25g/l)

Dry Hop

5g Centennial (1.25g/l)
5g Cascade (1.25g/l)
5g Mosaic (1.25g/l)
User avatar
rlemkin
Brewer
 
Posts: 783
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:49
Location: Edinburgh.

Re: Hopping Monster - IPA

Postby GrowlingDog » Thu Oct 16, 2014 15:27

Wow, that is a lot of hops, Glad you got good reviews for it.

I may have to give this a try, looks my kind of beer :)
User avatar
GrowlingDog
Admin
 
Posts: 3454
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 13:38
Location: Cycling around Essex

Re: Hopping Monster - IPA

Postby Pjam » Thu Oct 16, 2014 15:46

GrowlingDogBeer wrote:Wow, that is a lot of hops


Blimey, yes. Over 50g. Hope your better than me at working out absorption rates.
User avatar
Pjam
Brewer
 
Posts: 1698
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 16:51
Location: SE London

Re: Hopping Monster - IPA

Postby GrowlingDog » Thu Oct 16, 2014 16:19

For my 45L brew length that would be 600g of Hops, which would absorb a total of 9 litres of wort :shock:
User avatar
GrowlingDog
Admin
 
Posts: 3454
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 13:38
Location: Cycling around Essex

Re: Hopping Monster - IPA

Postby rlemkin » Thu Oct 16, 2014 16:51

I think I lost about 12% of my total volume to hops, but I must admit I don some disposable gloves and squeeze out the wort!

GrowlingDogBeer wrote:For my 45L brew length that would be 600g of Hops, which would absorb a total of 9 litres of wort :shock:


I've seen up to 12g/l used for dry hopping alone.. which would be almost 550g :hat:
User avatar
rlemkin
Brewer
 
Posts: 783
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:49
Location: Edinburgh.

Re: Hopping Monster - IPA

Postby Pjam » Thu Oct 16, 2014 17:06

rlemkin wrote: but I must admit I don some disposable gloves and squeeze out the wort!


Oh I feel better now :) ........ I thought it was just me who did that :whistle: Though I do boil it again.
User avatar
Pjam
Brewer
 
Posts: 1698
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 16:51
Location: SE London

Re: Hopping Monster - IPA

Postby rlemkin » Thu Oct 16, 2014 18:41

Pjam wrote:
rlemkin wrote: but I must admit I don some disposable gloves and squeeze out the wort!


Oh I feel better now :) ........ I thought it was just me who did that :whistle: Though I do boil it again.


From what I could gather from other forums it seems plenty of people do it :drink:
User avatar
rlemkin
Brewer
 
Posts: 783
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:49
Location: Edinburgh.

Re: Hopping Monster - IPA

Postby liamtmt7 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 18:55

what do you use to ferment the smaller batches?
User avatar
liamtmt7
Brewer
 
Posts: 609
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 20:20
Location: Scotland

Re: Hopping Monster - IPA

Postby rlemkin » Thu Oct 16, 2014 20:23

liamtmt7 wrote:what do you use to ferment the smaller batches?


5L plastic demis - 2 for £8.50 inc airlocks http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Demijohn-Plastic-PET-1-Gallon-4-5L-x-2-With-Airlock-x-2-Home-Brew-Wine-Making-/351149087618?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Food_SM&hash=item51c21ddb82

I'm still quite new at brewing and looking at moving to the US soon, so 4.5l lets me brew all-grain with cheaper kit and more freedom as I get (hopefully) get better at brewing.
User avatar
rlemkin
Brewer
 
Posts: 783
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:49
Location: Edinburgh.

Re: Hopping Monster - IPA

Postby liamtmt7 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 21:27

Great cheers!
User avatar
liamtmt7
Brewer
 
Posts: 609
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 20:20
Location: Scotland

Re: Hopping Monster - IPA

Postby ryanshelton » Fri Oct 17, 2014 22:03

Pjam wrote:
GrowlingDogBeer wrote:Wow, that is a lot of hops


Blimey, yes. Over 50g. Hope your better than me at working out absorption rates.



A friend of mine has just brewed 19L with 750g of hops! his hop monster a few months ago was 1kg!!

I used to have a handle on life. Then it broke!

http://www.chilstonbrewers.co.uk

www.thehomebrewfestival.co.uk ------ get booked!!!
User avatar
ryanshelton
Brewer
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 21:07
Location: Ilkeston

Re: Hopping Monster - IPA

Postby rlemkin » Fri Oct 17, 2014 22:06

ryanshelton wrote:
Pjam wrote:
GrowlingDogBeer wrote:Wow, that is a lot of hops


Blimey, yes. Over 50g. Hope your better than me at working out absorption rates.



A friend of mine has just brewed 19L with 750g of hops! his hop monster a few months ago was 1kg!!


Yeah, people can go a bit crazy! I like hoppy beer and with 4.5l batches I need to use a fair amount of hops to get through them in a reasonable amount of time. I'm still unlikely to be chucking 200g in any time soon though, maybe before I move house! The quest for insane hop aroma and flavour can devour many a packet of hops (and cash) :drink:
User avatar
rlemkin
Brewer
 
Posts: 783
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:49
Location: Edinburgh.

Re: Hopping Monster - IPA

Postby Joe1002 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 22:07

ryanshelton wrote:
Pjam wrote:
GrowlingDogBeer wrote:Wow, that is a lot of hops


Blimey, yes. Over 50g. Hope your better than me at working out absorption rates.



A friend of mine has just brewed 19L with 750g of hops! his hop monster a few months ago was 1kg!!

Wow, I though my 400g in 23l was a lot, and that is very hoppy.

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
User avatar
Joe1002
Moderator
 
Posts: 2754
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:01
Location: Essex

Re: Hopping Monster - IPA

Postby Green Ninja » Mon Dec 01, 2014 13:22

Jesus,

And here's me baulking at using over a 100g pack of hops!
User avatar
Green Ninja
Brewer
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2014 21:34

Re: Hopping Monster - IPA

Postby geddy » Wed May 06, 2015 21:39

Hello all,

I have just bought some all-grain equipment and I am looking to use this as my first recipe!

I think I will be using this website to buy my ingredients: http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/ - it has come to around £25 which does not seem too bad. The hops come in 100g vacuum packed bags. As I will be using only around 10g of hops (per style of hop), what shall I do with the rest? How shall I store them? How long do they last?

The same with the grain, I will have some left over. Can anyone recommend how I should store them?

If I was to up-size to an 8L batch, I presume that I simply double up.

With the yeast, how much shall I use, a full 11g sachet?

Kind Regards,
Ged
User avatar
geddy
Brewer
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 14:56

Re: Hopping Monster - IPA

Postby Joe1002 » Wed May 06, 2015 22:21

geddy wrote:Hello all,

I have just bought some all-grain equipment and I am looking to use this as my first recipe!

I think I will be using this website to buy my ingredients: http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/ - it has come to around £25 which does not seem too bad. The hops come in 100g vacuum packed bags. As I will be using only around 10g of hops (per style of hop), what shall I do with the rest? How shall I store them? How long do they last?
The malt Miller is a good choice, Rob provides excellent customer service. Hops - get as much air out of the pack as possible, seal and chuck in the freezer. If you happen to have a vacuum packer then use that but still chuck them in the freezer.

The same with the grain, I will have some left over. Can anyone recommend how I should store them?
Keep them cool and dry (the latter bing the most important). Keep them away from places rodents may get to them.

If I was to up-size to an 8L batch, I presume that I simply double up.
Not quite, the hop amounts will not be double. Find some brewing software (plenty of free ones around) and it will upscale the recipe for you.

With the yeast, how much shall I use, a full 11g sachet?
What brew length?

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
User avatar
Joe1002
Moderator
 
Posts: 2754
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:01
Location: Essex

Re: Hopping Monster - IPA

Postby Pjam » Wed May 06, 2015 23:03

Hi Ged, I gotta be honest ...... I don't think this is the best recipe to start on. Start with something a bit more typical ..... start with the basics. Part of the learning process (new equipment) is learning quantities and temperatures.

The Malt Miller is a great start. and I can only echo Joe.
User avatar
Pjam
Brewer
 
Posts: 1698
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 16:51
Location: SE London

Re: Hopping Monster - IPA

Postby geddy » Thu May 07, 2015 20:32

Joe1002 wrote:
geddy wrote:With the yeast, how much shall I use, a full 11g sachet?
What brew length?

How do you mean?

Pjam wrote:Hi Ged, I gotta be honest ...... I don't think this is the best recipe to start on. Start with something a bit more typical ..... start with the basics. Part of the learning process (new equipment) is learning quantities and temperatures.

The Malt Miller is a great start. and I can only echo Joe.

I have already done two extract brews of dark ale and I am looking for an IPA, it is my favourite! I feel that I am ready to take the next step, and the extra hop additions don't appear to be too difficult. Hopefully :)

Kind Regards,
Ged
User avatar
geddy
Brewer
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 14:56

Re: Hopping Monster - IPA

Postby Pjam » Thu May 07, 2015 20:47

11g of yeast is good for a 23 litre brew, if less than 23L, I would still put the whole 11g in. If your doing more than 23 litres then 2 packs might be needed.

Don't forget, hops absorb a lot of wort. A brew of this type can be hard to work out.
User avatar
Pjam
Brewer
 
Posts: 1698
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 16:51
Location: SE London

Re: Hopping Monster - IPA

Postby geddy » Thu May 07, 2015 21:02

Pjam wrote:11g of yeast is good for a 23 litre brew, if less than 23L, I would still put the whole 11g in. If your doing more than 23 litres then 2 packs might be needed.

Don't forget, hops absorb a lot of wort. A brew of this type can be hard to work out.

Thanks for the info. I will probably just do two batches of 4L (stated in the recipe) to be on the safe side before I start trying to upscale etc.

Kind Regards,
Ged
User avatar
geddy
Brewer
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 14:56


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest