Cream Ale

APA, AIPA, IIPA, BIPA etc

Cream Ale

Postby rodwha » Sun Aug 21, 2016 17:49

Anyone familiar with these?

The history behind it is that these were made along our west coast where the temperatures were higher keeping them from making lagers and so they came up with a cream ale to compete with them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cream_ale

Using 6-row and up to about 20-25% flaked corn but can use other adjuncts. Low hop flavor with no real hop aroma to speak of.

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style06.php#1a

Not unlike a Kolsch.

Hardly a favorite in my house, but my neighbors across the street love it as would most people who only drink these silly American lagers, of which I was one of many years ago before I learned about beer. Thankfully that is changing around here.

Though there are a lot of German lagers that I greatly appreciate and would love to brew I don't want to adjust the temperature on my fermentation chamber or tie it up for so long with a lager. And so this style of ale might be useful for those of you like me.

Maybe one day I'll buy a tiny fridge to convert for lagers and cold crashing...

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

"I ask not the favor given to Paul," Copernicus said, "I seek not the grace bestowed upon Peter--but I beg the mercy granted to the thief on the cross!" - Alexander Smellie 1899
rodwha
Brewer

Re: Cream Ale

Postby jkp » Mon Aug 22, 2016 06:47

I've only ever tried a cream ale once. It was a homebrew too. I actually thought it was quite nice, although it did have a noticeable flavour of corn, obviously from all the corn in it! Is that to style?

jkp
Brewer

Postby serum » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:04

I've tried a few from local breweries and they're pretty decent for a daytime pint. Not exactly a challenging beer but nice if made well.

FV - Blond Biere de Garde
Bottled: Altbier, XX Bitter
Planned: Amber Saison, Spelt Saison
serum
Brewer

Postby rodwha » Mon Aug 22, 2016 17:27

It can have a corn-like taste. Mine does, but then I maxed out on the adjunct. I think I'll tone it down next time.

Our adjunct lagers here use either corn or rice, and to me, the corn adjunct has a bit more depth.

These are very basic in general, but a lot of people seem to like it (adjunct lagers) as its by far the biggest seller.

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

"I ask not the favor given to Paul," Copernicus said, "I seek not the grace bestowed upon Peter--but I beg the mercy granted to the thief on the cross!" - Alexander Smellie 1899
rodwha
Brewer