Hop Haar

APA, AIPA, IIPA, BIPA etc

Hop Haar

Postby rlemkin » Sat Jul 09, 2016 21:35

We've recently moved house and I desperately need something to stop me spending two-three quid a bottle at the local bottleshop, excellent though it is. The plan is to brew nice, fruity and very hoppy pale that comes in at the lower end of the alcohol spectrum.

What follows is a slight adaptation of Ed Coffey's clone recipe for Tired Hands Brewing's Hop Hands. All I've done is substitute in some Hallertau Blanc, which has some very interesting flavour descriptors, and replace some of the flaked oats with Golden Naked Oats. Named Hop Haar because I'm in Edinburgh and this beer is going to be MURKY. Original Recipe: http://www.alesoftheriverwards.com/2015/08/tired-hands-hophands-clone-revisted.html

If you're interested in hoppy north-east US ales or saisons I do recommend his blog.

I got a bit swept up with things a while back and still owe a couple of forum members some beer, if you're one of them I'll try to send a bottle of this along instead.. six months late.

Hop Haar (American Pale Ale - North East)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.048 (°P): 11.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol (ABV): 4.72 %
Colour (SRM): 5.5 (EBC): 10.8
Bitterness (IBU): 40.8 (Average)

82% Maris Otter Malt
16% Flaked Oats
2% Golden Naked Oats

0.5 g/L Herkules (15% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) ~20 IBU
0.9 g/L Centennial (9.2% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L Hallertau Blanc (5.9% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
2.3 g/L Centennial (9.2% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (20 minute hopstand)
2.3 g/L Hallertau Blanc (5.9% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (20 minute hopstand)
4.3 g/L Centennial (9.2% Alpha) @ 5 Days (Dry Hop)
4.3 g/L Hallertau Blanc (6.6% Alpha) @ 5 Days (Dry Hop)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 19°C with Wyeast 1318 - London Ale III

Carbonate to 2.3 vol. CO2.

Recipe Generated with BrewMate
rlemkin
Brewer

Re: Hop Haar

Postby robwalker » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:12

That's basically all I brew for home consumption these days. 27 ibu, 1.037 OG, all pale with a smidge of light crystal, clean yeast and a heavy dry hop with American hop pellets. Last was Equinox, next up is Mosaic. Always easy drinking and can easily stand up to most American pales in terms of flavour and aroma.

Centennial is a great classic hop, very tasty.
robwalker
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Sun Jul 10, 2016 13:52

robwalker wrote:That's basically all I brew for home consumption these days. 27 ibu, 1.037 OG, all pale with a smidge of light crystal, clean yeast and a heavy dry hop with American hop pellets. Last was Equinox, next up is Mosaic. Always easy drinking and can easily stand up to most American pales in terms of flavour and aroma.

Centennial is a great classic hop, very tasty.

Centennial went in the first beer I ever brewed :thumb: . Hoping the Hallertau Blanc will contribute and bring some of the promised wine/fruit/gooseberry, but who knows. It should be a recipe that play to it :hmm:

I've brewed a few recipes like that, but felt it lacks a bit compared to some commercial examples. So, I gradually included more and more adjuncts and malts..

My 1.035 session recipe is currently 60% Vienna, 20% Maris Otter, 10% Flaked Oats, 5% Flaked Rye and 5% Golden Naked Oats with 35 IBU and about 3.5%. Quite happy with it, but waiting for comp. feedback before I rebrew it.

The Hop Haar recipe is only a wee bit stronger and simpler malt bill, but has almost twice as many hops and the water profile mentioned in the blog.
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Sat Jul 16, 2016 14:35

This almost fully fermented out in three days, ran a bit hot ~20-21c and I've no idea how the yeast will respond. Wyeast have the upper range at 23c, so hopefully ok. Dry hopped after three days. gravity/taste-check tomorrow. I don't normally bottle before two weeks, but we'll see.
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Thu Jul 28, 2016 16:27

Frustrated with this one. It's come out far too bitter. The aroma and taste are good, but overwhelmed by the bitterness. It's a good IPA for 4.5%, but not what I was aiming for. I undershot my mash temp and so it finished at 1.010, but I don't think that alone makes the difference.

Next brew. 30 IBU and the correct mash temperature.. I will have my North-East Pale.

On a side note I'm very impressed with the aroma and flavour of Hallertau Blanc + London Ale III coped very well with the ~23c temperatures.
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby HTH1975 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 17:34

It might mellow a bit after a month or two - the last pale I made was a touch too bitter at first, but was very drinkable after 6-8 weeks.

2016: 330L brewed (72 gallons, over 8 firkins)
2017: 105L brewed (need to update this figure)
Drinking: Landlord clone
Conditioning: ciders from 2016, hedgerow barrolo, 1914 Courage RIS (10%).
HTH1975
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Thu Jul 28, 2016 17:49

My last one was very over bitter. 3 weeks on it was well balanced. As long as its not from the too warm ferment I reckon it'll mellow.
robwalker
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Sun Aug 28, 2016 21:33

This beer was mince. London Ale III does not enjoy hot temperatures.. It's taken me a few years, but time to embrace brewing more seasonally. So it's Belgian Ale and Saison for the next few weeks.
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby KevinS » Sun Aug 28, 2016 21:41

What a shame - Hophands is next on my brew list. I just finished another pale with 1318. I find it's ok at around 66-68f for the first 3-4 days, but then you need to rouse it and increase to 72 to get it to finish fermenting.

(Apologies for the Fahrenheit usage. A trait of doing too many US recipes)

Out of curiosity - did you account for the hopstand in your IBU calc? Or did you cool then hopstand first?
KevinS
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Sun Aug 28, 2016 21:47

Well it certainly smelled fantastic. I've got an accurate water report now and the fermenting fridge is ready, but too late.

I use this blog - http://www.port66.co.uk/hop-standing/ - and adjust timing in the program to get an estimate. Although I then take it away if I'm publishing a recipe as it's normally equivalent to around three to five minute boil additions and then it wouldn't make much sense to people.

I'm avoiding anything like this until it cools down a bit. Belgian/Saison time.
rlemkin
Brewer