All Things Asian To Brew With

Smoke and Wood Aged, Spice/Herb/Vegetable, Speciality etc

All Things Asian To Brew With

Postby rodwha » Wed Feb 10, 2016 23:04

I have this love for hot peppers and figured I ought to try an Asian type beer using Thai chilis. Lemongrass certainly comes to mind as did rice DME.

I'm not looking for hops that are citrusy or dank, but am wondering about spices that may do well in a brew.

So far what I've come up with is quite simple (all grain), and simple may be a good thing but I'd like to explore options as I typically prefer some complexity all depending (my jalapeño blonde, cream ale, and honey wheat are simple wanting a star for the show).

I don't seem to get much as far as flavor from Thai chilis so am looking mostly for a nice spicy note to compliment Asian flavors.

Ideas or experience sought...

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

"I ask not the favor given to Paul," Copernicus said, "I seek not the grace bestowed upon Peter--but I beg the mercy granted to the thief on the cross!" - Alexander Smellie 1899
rodwha
Brewer

Re: All Things Asian To Brew With

Postby legionuk » Thu Feb 11, 2016 00:46

There is a Curried Oat Mild in Experimental Homebrewing

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=beX ... ale&f=true

Maidstone Brewers Homebrew Meets - Next Meet 19:30 Tuesday 30 August
https://Twitter.com/maidstonebrews https://www.facebook.com/groups/maidstonebrewers
legionuk
Brewer

Postby PhatFil » Thu Feb 11, 2016 04:22

Not Indian as such..

chilli can add a special kick to a fiery ginger beer.. It was a suggestion by our lhbs's resident brewer, and he suggested 1/2 to a full level teaspoon.. I committed that to memory and next time i brewed up a ginger beer with extract I added 1 Table Spoon!! of chilli powder to the 40 min simmer of lme, lemons, and grated ginger !!

Whoops!!! the ginger beer was great, But after about 15 seconds of it being in your mouth your lips and whole inside mouth/tongue started to tingle before burning 'slightly' and eventually going numb (thankfully)!!

The brew was saved by the discovery that when mixed 50/50 with a citrus juice it really worked as a gingery spicey summer thirst quencher.. Though ive not been tempted to repeat the gaff.. the level teaspoon however does work well and does add a slight kick alright ;)
PhatFil
Brewer

Postby rodwha » Thu Feb 11, 2016 08:02

@PhatFil: That about sounds intriguing as I'm a bit infatuated by hot spicy peppers.

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

"I ask not the favor given to Paul," Copernicus said, "I seek not the grace bestowed upon Peter--but I beg the mercy granted to the thief on the cross!" - Alexander Smellie 1899
rodwha
Brewer

Postby Mr. Dripping » Thu Feb 11, 2016 16:39

My advice would be to make a nice curry with the spicy stuff and have some good home brew on hand to wash it down with :D

Each to their own and all that and I would never discourage anyone from trying to make beers that they like.....but I've never been a fan of spiced beer. I've just never tried one that I've enjoyed.

Do keep us informed of how you get on though :thumb:
Mr. Dripping
Brewer

Postby Springer » Thu Feb 11, 2016 19:27

Mr. Dripping wrote:My advice would be to make a nice curry with the spicy stuff and have some good home brew on hand to wash it down with :D

Each to their own and all that and I would never discourage anyone from trying to make beers that they like.....but I've never been a fan of spiced beer. I've just never tried one that I've enjoyed.

Do keep us informed of how you get on though :thumb:

Spot on D on all points,........................ but I would have one or two before the curry as well as the "wash down ones". :) :D
S

It's a dog life :D
Springer
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Thu Feb 11, 2016 20:01

http://www.the homebrew forum.co.uk/showt ... hp?t=19699

Brewed this years ago and it was very quaffable. Less is more with spices, use nice aromatic ones and avoid more robust and savoury spices.
robwalker
Brewer

Postby PhatFil » Fri Feb 12, 2016 01:04

rodwha wrote:@PhatFil: That about sounds intriguing as I'm a bit infatuated by hot spicy peppers.

my take on a ginger beer is
2 x tins of lme (light)
juice from 6 lemons rind from 2-3
500g-750g fresh root ginger washed and grated (buy from ethinc stores not the suermarket, should cost no more than a fiver..)
catch/save/use the juice as you grate
1/2-1 LEVEL TEASPOON of hot chilli powder/crushed chillies

boil/simmer the ginger lemons chilli and lme for at least 40 mins+ in as large a volume of water as you can at least 10 litres total boil volume..

strain thru a sieve/colander into a sterile fv and top up to 23l with cold water.
dont worry if some matter gets in the fv it will settle out ok.. and squeeze out the matter in the sieve/colander with a wooden spoon..

when at pitching temp pitch ;) i use us-05..

you could use protoflock or irish moss for the kettle, i dont expect a crystal clear pint from it..
PhatFil
Brewer

Postby jkp » Tue Nov 01, 2016 17:12

How about trying the Szechuan pepper corn? It's got that numbing effect that's so unique. Perhaps in a Szechuan Witbier instead of coriander....

jkp
Brewer

Postby rodwha » Fri Nov 04, 2016 22:08

I've not heard of this. Is it similar to anything? I guess this might be found in an Asian grocery store.

rodwha
Brewer

Postby Pakman » Sat Nov 05, 2016 00:42

I've just racked my xmas brew, used the usual cinnamon and cloves but this year also added star anise. That's a nice spice to add to beer, especially a chilli beer.
Graham

If they say money cannot buy happiness - then explain motorcycles and beer! :thumb:
Pakman
Brewer

Postby jkp » Sat Nov 05, 2016 15:02

rodwha wrote:I've not heard of this. Is it similar to anything? I guess this might be found in an Asian grocery store.

Have a look <<HERE>>. It does have a slight citrus aroma but it's usually used together with chili peppers to give a hot spicy and tingling effect that's typical of authentic Szechuan cuisine. Maybe Szechuan pepper and dried chili's in a wit instead of coriander and orange peel if you like that sort of thing.

jkp
Brewer

Postby serum » Sat Nov 05, 2016 20:34

I can see lemongrass or galangal being good in a beer in moderate quantities. I used star anise, ginger and pepper in a saison and it's very nice.

FV - Blond Biere de Garde
Bottled: Altbier, XX Bitter
Planned: Amber Saison, Spelt Saison
serum
Brewer

Postby jkp » Sun Nov 06, 2016 02:47

serum wrote:I can see lemongrass or galangal being good in a beer in moderate quantities. I used star anise, ginger and pepper in a saison and it's very nice.

out of curiosity do you use dried or fresh lemongrass?

I have a recipe which calls for dried, but I've only got fresh atm and I'm wondering if it will give a different flavour. For example, I've noticed that fresh chilli peppers give an aroma from the flesh which you don't get with dried.

jkp
Brewer

Postby serum » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:01

I've not used it but if I did I'd take a fresh bit, squish it a little and bung it in at end of boil. Not sure how much you'd use though.

FV - Blond Biere de Garde
Bottled: Altbier, XX Bitter
Planned: Amber Saison, Spelt Saison
serum
Brewer