Blueberry Wheat Beer

Smoke and Wood Aged, Spice/Herb/Vegetable, Speciality etc

Blueberry Wheat Beer

Postby StevieDS » Thu Aug 20, 2015 16:02

I've been asked for the recipe and method for this beer so here it is.

Blaubeere Weizenbier
Fruit Beer

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 20.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.225
Total Hops (g): 20
Original Gravity (OG): 1.052 (°P): 12.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.006 (°P): 1.5
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 6.1 % before adding blueberries
Colour (SRM): 4 (EBC): 8
Bitterness (IBU): 10 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 80
Boil Time (Minutes): 90

Grain Bill
----------------
2.000 kg Pale Malt (47%)
2.000 kg Wheat Malt (47%)
0.125 kg Crystal 15 (3%)
0.100 kg Oat Husks (3%)

Hop Bill
----------------
20.0 g Tettnanger Leaf (3.7% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
4.700 kg Blueberries for 6 weeks (Secondary)

Single step Infusion at 68°C for 90 Minutes.
Fermented at 18°C with Danstar Nottingham

Notes
----------------
This was brewed using a basic 2 vessel system, picnic cooler mash tun, home made electric boiler/HLT, fly sparged.

The base beer is a simple wheat beer, equal amounts of wheat malt and pale malt. I then added a little light crystal to try to leave some residual sweetness in the finished product, because I was worried about it being a little too sharp. If I was brewing this again I'd probably increase the crystal or mash a little hotter because it still finished a little dry.

I decided to use a fairly neutral yeast and fermented at 18°c to keep the yeast derived flavours to a minimum. Likewise the hop bitterness was kept low to allow the fruit flavours to come through.

The beer was fermented as normal. In the meantime I froze the blueberries, then defrosted in a large bowl with a crushed campden tab to keep any nasties at bay. A week after pitching I racked 16 litres of the beer into a secondary FV with the berries and left for 6 weeks.

I hadn't intended to leave it so long but it was a busy time so I just left it alone until I found the time to bottle it. I aimed for around 2.5 vol/CO2.

It turned out okay, the sharp acidity from the berries gives it a nice refreshing quality, almost like a mild fruit lambic, or a rosé wine. It is quite thin bodied, presumably because of the fermented sugar from the berries, but this helps with the thirst quenching quality. It's a good summer beer, shame we didn't get much of a summer though! It's an amazing bright red colour, I'll try to get a picture up at some point.

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

"The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

Planning: Brett Amarillo Smash
Fermenting: AG52 Brett Saison v2, AG41 Lambic v2.0
Conditioning: AG51 Brett Saison, AG48 Biere de Garde, AG42 Westvleteren XII Clone, AG29 Lambic v1.0
Drinking: AG51 Brett Saison v1, AG53 Standard Bitter
StevieDS
Brewer

Re: Blueberry Wheat Beer

Postby pittsy » Thu Aug 20, 2015 17:05

Sounds a rather nice drink ( to me ) may get round to trying this . Crystal malt doesn't give any sweetness , that is done by having low bitterness , if doing again try splitting the hops four ways and use two lots at the start then one at 45 mins then the final one at 15 mins to go . This will give a more sweet feel to it . I would say a dry beer would be best for this so to get a better body try mashing low (63c for 30/40 mins) then finish off high (71/72c for 30/40 mins) to give you a good body .
I wonder if this would work with a weiss yeast :hmm: :thumb:
pittsy
Brewer

Postby mark1964 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 17:13

will find out in a few weeks were doing one similar with fruit. We currently have 5 different weisse yeasts to try

ITS TIME 4 ANOTHER BEER
mark1964
Brewer

Postby StevieDS » Thu Aug 20, 2015 18:43

pittsy wrote:Crystal malt doesn't give any sweetness

Really, that's new to me. I know that lower bitterness will increase the perception of sweetness but I thought crystal was used to add body and sweetness too?

"The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

Planning: Brett Amarillo Smash
Fermenting: AG52 Brett Saison v2, AG41 Lambic v2.0
Conditioning: AG51 Brett Saison, AG48 Biere de Garde, AG42 Westvleteren XII Clone, AG29 Lambic v1.0
Drinking: AG51 Brett Saison v1, AG53 Standard Bitter
StevieDS
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 07:26

Superb! Cheers Stevie! one I need to try!

Kegged:
Simecoe APA (HBF Donation)

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink