Scotch bonnet's in beer

Smoke and Wood Aged, Spice/Herb/Vegetable, Speciality etc

Scotch bonnet's in beer

Postby octoscott » Tue Aug 11, 2015 13:05

Anyone tried this or similar peppers?

I'm considering a citra wheat with Scotch Bonnet's added in the secondary.

Want to be able to taste the pepper, but not make it undrinkable. Any advice on IBU's or how much pepper to use?
octoscott
Brewer

Re: Scotch bonnet's in beer

Postby BIGJIM72 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 23:03

Not sure if this will help or not. In one of C J J Berry's wine making books he deals with making "mock" spirits. To get the strong alcohol burn he suggests using a "tincture of capsicum". I'm not even sure that you can buy that now. Maybe if you made an infusion of bonnets in vodka & added a few drops to each bottle-that way you could experiment without having the whole batch with the same level of chilli-some more,some less. Or maybe just add a few drips when serving-that way you would still get a decent batch of beer & if it doesn't work out you haven't wasted a brew.

I have a medical condition- I am fool intolerant.

Brewing,baking & grilling up a storm in South London
BIGJIM72
Brewer

Postby Mr. Dripping » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:52

Make a curry with the chilli's and make some regular beer to wash it down with :whistle:

Seriously though......look in to making a chilli tincture. Use this to dose a small amount of beer and when you get the flavour you require, you can scale this up through the batch.
Mr. Dripping
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Sun Aug 16, 2015 09:20

Have you thought about making your beer then putting some in a demi john with chilli (i'd soak them in a little vodka first and add both to the dj) then if your sure you want a whole batch you can scale up next time. I think caution is best here as it could ruin a great beer!
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby rodwha » Mon Aug 24, 2015 14:33

I have made several jalapeño blonde ales. Love it!

What I've done is roasted half of them at 350* F for 30 mins, sliced them thin and placed them in a ziplock bag placed in the freezer until brew day, at which time they go in at 7 mins left in the boil. The other half I've roasted and left raw, sliced thinly and placed in a container and covered with vodka to sit for A couple of weeks and used as a "dry pepper" addition for 7 days. I generally use 7-8 jalapeños for a 5 gal (19 L) batch and get great aroma and flavor with a fair bit of spice that even those who won't eat a jalapeño can appreciate. It's a favorite around here. But I love fresh jalapeños and keep considering making a very hot version for myself.

One thing I've noticed is that everything the jalapeño adds fades after about 3-4 weeks, and after about 6-7 weeks it's quite weak. It's not something you can age.

I'm considering making a form of strong ale with either Serrano peppers or Habanero peppers that is quite hot.

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

"I ask not the favor given to Paul," Copernicus said, "I seek not the grace bestowed upon Peter--but I beg the mercy granted to the thief on the cross!" - Alexander Smellie 1899
rodwha
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Mon Aug 24, 2015 14:39

:ill:

each to their own!
robwalker
Brewer

Postby rodwha » Tue Aug 25, 2015 03:47

There's an article I was sent recently about pepper beers. It won't let me post it though. I'm guessing I haven't been around long enough. I'll try again later as it may be helpful.

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

"I ask not the favor given to Paul," Copernicus said, "I seek not the grace bestowed upon Peter--but I beg the mercy granted to the thief on the cross!" - Alexander Smellie 1899
rodwha
Brewer

Postby octoscott » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:09

rodwha wrote:There's an article I was sent recently about pepper beers. It won't let me post it though. I'm guessing I haven't been around long enough. I'll try again later as it may be helpful.

That would be excellent mate. Thanks.
octoscott
Brewer

Postby rodwha » Tue Aug 25, 2015 15:50

I'm not sure how many posts I'd need for the forum to allow me to post links, but it's more than I imagined. If you'd like I can email the link to you.

rodwha
Brewer

Postby bobsbeer » Thu Aug 27, 2015 09:31

You should be able to post a link with 33 posts, although there is a time limit too, and I see you only joined on the 23rd. I think it's 5 days. It's to stop the spammers I'm afraid. Sorry it has held you back. I will pm you my email address and I can add it for you.
bobsbeer
Brewer

Postby rodwha » Thu Aug 27, 2015 13:07

rodwha
Brewer

Postby jkp » Thu Aug 27, 2015 19:39

rodwha wrote:I have made several jalapeño blonde ales. Love it!

Do you have a link to a recipe or would you mind posting it. I know you pretty much spelled it out already but it would be good to see the whole recipe.

I tried a wasabi Stout recently, made by another homebrewer. It wasn't spicy or hot like you'd imagine, but to be honest it didn't really work as the beer wasn't well balanced. Other chilli beers I've had have been really interesting, but not something you could enjoy a whole pint of. So if your blonde is a good one I might give it a try.... once I've brewed the other twenty beers on my list first..... never enough time!

jkp
Brewer

Postby rodwha » Thu Aug 27, 2015 20:41

My better recipe was a partial mash in which I used Pilsner LME. This was supposedly a cream ale, but it wasn't a proper recipe so I changed it to a blonde. The jalapeño was spot on but it lost the nice flavor it had. I've been told that 6-row is a bit similar in taste to Pilsner without the high DMS levels requiring a 90 min boil so I will be purchasing the ingredients to revise it and see.

So I can give you the initial recipe, the blonde recipe, or my untested recipe. Which would you prefer?

rodwha
Brewer

Postby jkp » Fri Aug 28, 2015 05:36

Let's go with the untested.

It would actually be really useful to hear your opinion of what you're looking for in the base beer to make it balance well. For example, I can imagine you don't want any late hops, but do you want it slightly sweeter too?

I hope that's not too much to ask!

Cheers

Jon

jkp
Brewer

Postby rodwha » Fri Aug 28, 2015 13:18

No problem at all. I'd even post the others too, though I'd start a thread so as not to hijack this one.

5.5 gal batch:

5 lbs 6-row
3 lbs 2-row
0.5 lb carafoam (I often have head retention problems, and this beer is one of them. Some believe there may be oils in the peppers that hinder it)
0.5 lb crystal 40
1 oz Mount Hood (5.5%) @ 70 mins
US-05 yeast

1.054/1.011
5.6% ABV
21 IBUs
5 SRM

When I was first inquiring about a jalapeño beer one guy really came in and helped me. He told me the best backbone is something very simple and plain as you want the jalapeños to stand out. A cream ale was his recommendation, which is, in essence, an ale version of a lager typically using flakes corn.

I've often thought it a bit silly that many people like to name their homebrews. To me it's just the style with no name needed. However this beer, once I decided to make it a true blonde ale, became Smokin' Hot Blonde, which kept me from going back to my bastardized recipe that worked well. But also, since going all-grain now, I don't want to deal with Pilsner malts as my stove isn't very good and so I have to straddle two burners and use the tamale steamer bottom as a lid. As I doubt you guys are familiar with this is something like a false bottom but with larger holes so that steam can rise up and cook tamales but keep them out of the boiling water. I set my spoon across the pot to prop it up on. I've not noticed issues with DMS.

rodwha
Brewer

Postby jkp » Fri Aug 28, 2015 16:46

Thanks a lot!

I thinking I might make up some of the vodka infusion you mentioned, then add a bit of it to a bland lager to see if I like the flavours. Then I`ll take it from there.

Cheers for the help!

jkp
Brewer

Postby MrBoy » Fri Nov 06, 2015 14:12

octoscott wrote:Anyone tried this or similar peppers?

I'm considering a citra wheat with Scotch Bonnet's added in the secondary.

Want to be able to taste the pepper, but not make it undrinkable. Any advice on IBU's or how much pepper to use?

If you want falvour but not too much heat, maybe such a hot pepper isn't the best... these are pretty intense (they're the ones you just add one to a chilli IIRC?)

In cooking you sometimes put whole chillis in for some time to infuse the flavour, then remove them. So perhaps something similar in brewing would make sense... add one chilli post-mash or during the boil (ideally when it's hot but not actually boiling) for a period of time?
MrBoy
Brewer