Imperial Black Saison - 1 Gallon Extract

Smoke and Wood Aged, Spice/Herb/Vegetable, Speciality etc

Imperial Black Saison - 1 Gallon Extract

Postby robwalker » Tue Sep 30, 2014 14:22

For those wanting to brew a simple and special beer, this brewday will be finished in an hour and give you a full bodied Imperial Black Saison, similar to a Russian Imperial Stout.

Imperial Black Saison

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 4.5
Total Grain (kg): 1.200
Total Hops (g): 25.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.096 (°P): 22.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.022 (°P): 5.6
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 9.71 %
Colour (SRM): 41.1 (EBC): 80.9
Bitterness (IBU): 56.2 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
1.000 kg Dry Malt Extract - Light (83.33%)
0.100 kg Brown Sugar, Dark (8.33%)
0.050 kg Chocolate (4.17%)
0.050 kg Roasted Barley (4.17%)

Hop Bill
----------------
20.0 g Northern Brewer Leaf (9.6% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil) (4.4 g/L)
5.0 g Northern Brewer Leaf (9.6% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (1.1 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with Mangrove Jack's Belgian Ale Yeast M27

To brew this you need a 2 gallon stockpot and a 2 gallon bucket or water bottle.

First steep the dark malts overnight in a litre of cold water. In the morning, collect the extract through a muslin bag or sieve leaving behind the spent grain.

Next you will need to measure the 4.5L mark on your pot accurately. You can do this by filling it with 4.5L water and notching a long plastic or wooden spoon at the correct level. You can see this in play here -

Add DME, sugar and dark wort to the stockpot then top up with kettle water to 4.5L. Turn on the heat and let the boil start - fill your kettle with water again and boil. During the boil, regularly check the volume of wort and keep it as close to 4.5L as you can using your boiling kettle water.

After 30 minutes of boiling with no hops, start the 30 minute hop schedule. When completed, cool the wort by submerging the pot in cold water, or transfer to a food safe bucket and cool. Pour the wort through muslin or your grain bag to remove the hops.

When temperature reads around 20c, add the yeast - I suggest adding the entire packet to reduce off flavours. Fermentation will be very vigorous so you need the headroom. When fermentation abates after a week or so, transfer to a 4.5L demi john or 5L water bottle, and increase beer temperature - either wrap in a blanket/sleeping bag, or use your heater. When you're sure attenuation has been reached, bottle and prime lightly. Age for at least 3 months. I suggest 330ml bottles if possible because with such a high ABV it can be your only beer of the night if you have a pint!

You can add whatever you like to this beer - coffee, cocao nibs, oak chips and vanilla are classic additions. I really overdid the oak, but the original beer tastes fanastic.
robwalker
Brewer

Re: Imperial Black Saison - 1 Gallon Extract

Postby liamtmt7 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 16:58

how did this one turn out Rob ?
liamtmt7
Brewer

Re: Imperial Black Saison - 1 Gallon Extract

Postby robwalker » Tue Dec 23, 2014 18:17

Terrible because I barrel aged it and the wine oxidized. The beer prior to barrel ageing was very good though and I'll brew it as it was meant to be soon! The yeast kicks out a lot of saison fruity esters which make the beer taste like cherries :D
robwalker
Brewer