cheeky cherry

Smoke and Wood Aged, Spice/Herb/Vegetable, Speciality etc

cheeky cherry

Postby Brewzee » Mon May 13, 2019 05:41

I wanted to make a fresh sessional fruit beer for the summer it didn't turn out bad at all...but where is the summer. It turned out bright and red, off white head without much retention. Very low hopping let cherry aroma to come through and a hot mash gave a sweetness nicer than lactose.
4.2 k Golden promise
.2 k cara pils
Strike water a few C more than normal and for 40 mins so it don't get cold round the edges.
45 min boil with 5 grams of Magnum only.
One week with saf05
2 k frozen morello cherries, defrosted and crushed while still in their packaging then added to brew for 2 weeks.
All for a 20 litre brew which will be made again but next stop melons or maybe mango.
Brewzee
Brewer

Re: cheeky cherry

Postby Bad 'Ed » Wed May 15, 2019 22:19

I often think of doing something like this. I really enjoy them just don't drink them that often. I don't think I'd get through 40 pints before it starts to fade.

I guess I just need to join a club and get someone to swap half with...

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer

Postby Brewzee » Thu May 16, 2019 06:25

Agreed about getting through 40 pints that's why I wanted something light and fresh and quaffable. You could do a split batch half cherries and the other half a cloud water style dry hopped to the gills pale ale. I will let you know when it starts to fade.
Brewzee
Brewer

Postby Bad 'Ed » Thu May 16, 2019 13:13

Brewzee wrote:Agreed about getting through 40 pints that's why I wanted something light and fresh and quaffable. You could do a split batch half cherries and the other half a cloud water style dry hopped to the gills pale ale. I will let you know when it starts to fade.

Cheers.

Does anyone know whether lambic style fruit beers have long staying power? I would imagine that the fresh fruit flavours change into more subtle, less sharp one at a similar pace.

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer