Gorse Flowers

Smoke and Wood Aged, Spice/Herb/Vegetable, Speciality etc

Gorse Flowers

Postby ManseMasher » Sun Mar 27, 2016 15:54

I love the smell of whinbush flowers, so I have made a 'soup' from them, with 10g of Citra added. Come bottling day (Thursday), some of the batch is going to be bottled using the soup as a base for the priming syrup. I have absolutely no idea how it is going to turn out, but if it retains any of the aroma/flavour coming from the liquid, it should be something quite different.....

"A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure."
ManseMasher
Brewer

Re: Gorse Flowers

Postby Bad 'Ed » Sun Mar 27, 2016 16:16

Are you going to boil it with the sugar? Or freeze it and add it after the boil?

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer

Postby ManseMasher » Sun Mar 27, 2016 16:27

Boil it with the sugar is the plan, or more specifically, about 80°c to drive off any nasties (I'm sure I saw a spider or two) whilst trying to retain as much aroma as possible, dissolve the sugar in it, plop it in the bottling bucket then go from there.

"A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure."
ManseMasher
Brewer

Postby graysalchemy » Sun Mar 27, 2016 20:05

You have made the soup already? I would have been tempted to leave it a few days or do it when you make the syrup as you would if you were making elderflower cordial.

graysalchemy

Postby ManseMasher » Sun Mar 27, 2016 20:26

I knew (or suspected) I might get a haze someonewhat akin to pectolase. So I did it early to let it clear. If it stinks on bottling day, I m off up the hill for a fresh batch.

ManseMasher
Brewer

Postby ManseMasher » Sat Apr 02, 2016 17:05

Bottled today. Smelled and tasted fantastic. Here's hoping the flavour/aroma stays!

ManseMasher
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Sat Apr 02, 2016 17:11

nice! boiling stuff into priming sugar is a great way to add last minute aroma.
robwalker
Brewer

Postby ManseMasher » Tue Apr 05, 2016 17:51

Only 3 days in the bottle, but really clear so I just tried one. Nice lacing on the glass already. As expected, still tastes raw, but the aroma is amazing. I hope it stays as it is - might be on to a winner!

ManseMasher
Brewer