German Wheat Beer - Eric Warner

Belgian Beers, Saisons, Wheat beers, Bierre de garde, Sour beers, Fruit Beers etc

Re: German Wheat Beer - Eric Warner

Postby AndyBWood » Fri Nov 20, 2015 19:22

Hi Pittsy

Checked tonight and the increase in temp seems to have done the job. A much higher krausen has formed again. I've also given it a very gentle stir.

Going to leave well alone now until Day 10 and see what we get.

Cheers

A

AndyBWood
AndyBWood
Brewer

Postby AndyBWood » Wed Nov 25, 2015 21:31

Hi Pittsy

Well..... Day 10 and nearly 1.010 :D

Extra temp ( currently sat at 21.5 degrees ) has done the trick. Krausen now subsided and I have to say that if I forced carbed this tonight and chilled it, it would be perfectly drinkable ! The sample from the testing jar tastes sublime. :D

To be honest, I'm still in shock :shock:

Have I, AndyBWood, really managed to make this ??? Doesn't seem possible.......

Honestly not sure what to do next.... if the yeast still in suspension is helping make this taste so good I'm tempted to just transfer as is to the bottling bucket and go for it.

No time until Friday though so going to leave another day and decide tomorrow night.

Of course, time will tell but..... its looking like a very long mashing day has been well worth it.

I think this is going to push me towards the tipping point of a HERMS setup. If this is what is achievable with step mashing then I am completely and utterly sold. As you said, however, would be really interesting to repeat with just a single step infusion and see (taste) the difference.

Thanks again for all the advice :thumb:

A

AndyBWood
AndyBWood
Brewer

Postby pittsy » Thu Nov 26, 2015 21:34

Hi Andy , you're welcome mate . yes I would defo do a single step mash with everything else the same and you'll see, fell and taste a good difference , well worth doing to assure yourself it's worth all the trouble ( which becomes very easy with herms ) . Not all styles benefit from multi steps but once you see the differences you can tweak simple steps best for the style such as mild with 67c and a 71c mash or a belgian with a 63c and a 68c mash etc . :D
pittsy
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Sun Nov 29, 2015 15:14

This is a great thread, andd its making me want to have a crack at something similar! I am a bit stuck on the APA's at the moment...
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby AndyBWood » Sun Nov 29, 2015 22:22

Hi Rolfster

Well worth a go - if only for the experience but I have high hopes for this one.

If you go the infusion route just make sure your mash tun is big enough or scale down the recipe to make sure.

Cheers

A

AndyBWood
AndyBWood
Brewer

Postby AndyBWood » Sun Nov 29, 2015 22:46

Evening All :hat:

Well... not a very exciting photo but, for me, a very satisfying one.

Not without a few hiccups but wheaty goodness transferred, hopefully, safely into bottle.

( Note to self - if you change the tap on the bottling bucket make sure the little bottler still fits..... :doh: )

I also dragged quite a lot of yeast into the bottling bucket ( after another hiccup ) and hoping this isn't too much in the final glass. Can always let it settle out when chilling I suppose and add as much sediment as preferred ???

Another first with this brew, I batch primed and went for 7g sugar per litre - hoping that does the trick.

Whitelabs WLP300 captured for another day.

Never seen yeast like this before; absolutely no clumping together, like really fine sand in a way. I can see now why this doesn't floc well but sort of contradicts itself in view of the huge krausen formed. Interesting stuff.

So.... In view of the amount of yeast in suspension I'm sort of hoping that this will condition very quickly. As a few days ago, it would be perfectly drinkable now if force carbed and chilled.

Pittsy - Again, a huge thank you for all the help and advice - if you would be good enough to PM me your address I will ensure a bottle finds it's way to you for 'scientific analysis'.

Cheers

A

AndyBWood
AndyBWood
Brewer

Postby pittsy » Mon Nov 30, 2015 08:29

Pm sent and it was my pleasure mate .
pittsy
Brewer

Postby AndyBWood » Wed Dec 09, 2015 14:51

Afternoon All :hat:

Well.... I am off work and..... it has gone 12pm......

The finished Hefeweizen !

I think this is lovely; bags of flavour and very refreshing -will certainly be doing this again (pity it's not summer.....)

A little bit 'tart' and 'sharp' maybe ? I wasn't expecting this but I like it. I did have no end of mishaps and hiccups when bottling so really, really pleased I've got a drinkable product after the effort of step mashing.

Pittsy - Will get a bottle in the post for you this weekend - would be really interested in your opinion and whether this is anywhere close to the ballpark.

Cheers :cheers:

A

AndyBWood
AndyBWood
Brewer

Postby pittsy » Wed Dec 09, 2015 21:32

That's looking very nice Andy . It would be my pleasure try a sample , anyone else willing to send me beer feel free to any time :D :drink:
pittsy
Brewer

Postby AndyBWood » Thu Jan 07, 2016 14:23

Hi Pittsy

Sample in the post today - sorry for delay - xmas got in the way !

Let me know what you think. I've passed a few around over xmas to family / friends and had positive feedback; most people are really surprised you can actually brew something like this at home.

Anyhow - would be good to know your opinion. I think it's changed a little bit over the weeks it's been it bottle.

Cheers :cheers:

A

AndyBWood
AndyBWood
Brewer

Postby pittsy » Fri Jan 08, 2016 08:38

Thanks Andy , I'll get my glass ready , cheers .
pittsy
Brewer

Postby pittsy » Mon Jan 11, 2016 17:28

Your bottled arrived today Andy , it's in the fridge and i'll get at it later on tonight and post my comments . :drink:
pittsy
Brewer

Postby pittsy » Mon Jan 11, 2016 19:24

Andy ,
What a lovely example of the style , nice carbonation ( a little more would be better . even though it had lots ) a good colour and has a bread like aroma which is spot on ( you would eat it if you could ) .
First taste , nicely tart on the tongue strongly followed by clove which once you have another taste has hints of banana underneath perfect for the classic Munich style .
Andy this is excellent I only hope your other beers are as good , Well done mate , top marks from me :thumb: ( don't tell anyone but that's the best example of a (homebrewed) German wheat beer I've tried at any of the festivals ( maybe mine too )
pittsy
Brewer

Postby AndyBWood » Tue Jan 12, 2016 21:46

Thanks Pittsy

Really pleased this turned out well after all the effort; have to say I'm chuffed you liked it :thumb:

Ultimately, however, I really put this one down to the forum for inspiration and especially yourself for all the help and advice; without both I would never have even dreamed you could make this at home. This will definitely become a regular. I'm still thinking about that HERMS system to make the step mash easier.

Thanks again - question is...... what should I have a go at next ??? :hmm:

Cheers

A

AndyBWood
AndyBWood
Brewer

Postby pittsy » Tue Jan 12, 2016 22:48

Saison , similar mash , 5% abv 1kg wheat the rest is open ibu 20 ish , lovely .
pittsy
Brewer

Previous