Lawnmower Hefeweizen

Belgian Beers, Saisons, Wheat beers, Bierre de garde, Sour beers, Fruit Beers etc

Lawnmower Hefeweizen

Postby robwalker » Wed Apr 08, 2015 19:51

This is a very, very simple Hefeweizen recipe for all grainers not wishing to bother with step mashing, liquid yeasts, etc, but wanting a reputable pint at the end of it.

Hefeweizens are low IBU German wheat beers (Weissbier/Weizen) focusing on light body and very low bitterness with bready flavours and a balance of the banana/clove esters you associate with a wheat beer. To me this tastes similar to Erdinger or Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier. It's great served super cold on hot days in a tall pilsner glass.

Any bittering hops can be used, I just used what I had to hand - you don't really taste much difference at the bittering stage, but make sure you recalculate the quantity based on the AA% for the correct IBUs. If you're unable to locate MJ Wheat Beer Yeast, use Danstar Munich, or a liquid yeast. You can increase the quantity of wheat up to 70% of the grain bill, but 50% is the minimum for the style. Make sure you boil for 90 minutes to achieve the cloudy fine yeast effect - 60 minute boils will drag all of the protein out resulting in a clear beer.

Hefeweizen
Weizen/Weissbier

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 23.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.000
Total Hops (g): 15.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.046 (°P): 11.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014 (°P): 3.6
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.22 %
Colour (SRM): 3.4 (EBC): 6.7
Bitterness (IBU): 17.0 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 68
Boil Time (Minutes): 90

Grain Bill
----------------
2.500 kg Pilsner (UK) (50%)
2.500 kg Wheat Malt (50%)

Hop Bill
----------------
15.0 g Centennial Pellet (8.7% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with MJ M20 - Bavarian Wheat
robwalker
Brewer

Re: Lawnmower Hefeweizen

Postby Joe1002 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 22:56

Looks a nice refreshing pint, saving the recipe so I can get one on for the summer. :cheers:

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Joe1002