Alemans Effin Erdinger Recipe

Belgian Beers, Saisons, Wheat beers, Bierre de garde, Sour beers, Fruit Beers etc

Alemans Effin Erdinger Recipe

Postby Aleman » Thu Apr 03, 2014 13:21

I was asked via PM to wrote:Be so kind as to share your recipe and method for your version of an Erdinger style beer and also your celebrated Bohemian Pilsner....if you don't ask, you don't get!

Well Erdinger is pretty much the classic Bavarian Wheat Beer. Gravity 1.051, 18 Units of Bitterness and fairly pale at 9 EBC

for 25L I would Aim for

2950g Wheat Malt
2420g Pale Malt (Or lager malt)

It could be a long slow sparge with that much wheat, so 500g of oat hulls should be added to the mash to aid in the lauter.

18g Tettnang Hops (90 Minutes)
12g Perle Hops ( 90 Minutes)

10g Tettnang Hops (45 Minutes)

10g Tettnang Hops ( 15 minutes)

Aim for something like 80% of the IBU coming from the 90 minute addition (around 15IBU) and the remainder from the 45 minute addition. . . . You'll have to mess about with a calculator to determine accurate weights given the alphas of the hosp you have. . . When I did this they weren't published.

Erdinger do a double decoction . . . I suspect out of habit although a glucan/ferrulic rest at 35-40C is possibly a good idea, which you could do with a single infusion of boiling/hot water if you don't have the facility to do stepped mashes. . . but it is not required with this grain bill really.

The usual rule is to pitch big . . . Don't . . . this is one of those times when under pitching into cold wort is a good idea. . . If you are using dry yeast (WB-06) one sachet into wort at 12C is fine . . . gradually allow the wort to heat up over the next 4 days to 18C and allow it to finish at that temperature . . . If using Wyeast 3068 or the Whitelabs equivalent . . . pitch the smack pack or tube directly into the wort at 12C, again allow it to rise to 18C over the next 4 or 5 days. . . . this will generate those lovely banana and clove flavours.

Ferment for 7-10 days, then crash cool for another 4 days, to drop a lot of the yeast before transferring to a cask/ bottling bucket . . . Prime to give around 2.5 Volumes of CO2 in the finished beer . . . so you could be looking at around 120g of sugar.

I prefer to bottle my wheat beers and they are best drunk young.

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Re: Alemans Effin Erdinger Recipe

Postby jkp » Sun Apr 06, 2014 18:50

This will likely be my next brew. Only problem is I don't have any Perle, would Saaz be a good substitute? I also have Chinook or Challenger. Grateful for any advice! Cheers
jkp
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Sun Apr 06, 2014 21:35

Go with the saaz . . . You might get away with the challenger, but Avoid chinook like the plague.

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby jkp » Mon Apr 07, 2014 08:50

Cheers Aleman!
jkp
Brewer

Postby Full Mental Jakey » Mon Apr 07, 2014 15:43

Ah, lovely to see this recipe again. It was one of my 1st really good all grain-brews, and I still brew it all the time. I keep playing with the yeast strain, but that aside, I feel no need to change anything. Thanks Aleman!
Full Mental Jakey
Brewer

Postby jkp » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:03

Just started on this one. Found a small stone in my grain, unfortunately I used different supplier for the two grains and don't know which one it came in :evil: Is this at all common?

Pre-boil the wort looks a lot like Miso Soup, a dull brown colour with lots of clouding. Is that ok? It doesn't look very nice at all.
jkp
Brewer

Postby jkp » Wed Apr 09, 2014 15:03

Ok, so it's all finished now and in the FV. Managed to get an OG of 1.054 so it went well. Pitched WB-06 at 15*C, couldn't get it down to twelve. It's going to be difficult to keep it below 18*C (no fridge and warm weather) but I've got it in a tub of cold water which should help. In any case I noticed that Fermentis state that this yeast gives clover flavours if fermented below 22*C and banana if above 23*C. Seem a little different to the advice given here.
jkp
Brewer

Postby Full Mental Jakey » Fri Apr 11, 2014 08:43

Sounding good :thumb: The wort is often pretty cloudy. Since clarity is not a feature of wheat beer, this has never bothered me :D
Full Mental Jakey
Brewer

Postby jkp » Fri Apr 11, 2014 18:27

I expected it to be cloudy but didn't realise just how so. After the boil there was a huge amount of gunk at the bottom of the kettle. Obviously some hops but mostly trub and it was really difficult to rack it into the FV and leave all that behind. Should I be worrying about that or is trub in the FV just inevitable with a wheat beer?

It's going nicely already, smells nice and has already changed from the dull brown to a brighter misty yellow colour. Looking forward to tasting this one!
jkp
Brewer

Postby jkp » Mon Apr 14, 2014 06:30

After 5 days fermenting the airlock activity has slowed and there is some white bits floating on the surface. I think this is normal though for a hefe. Nice banana bread kind of smell now.

jkp
Brewer

Postby andyco » Wed Apr 16, 2014 21:44

Brewed this a few times now, always a good drop :thumb:

Andy

"Cops... come and try snatch my hops "
andyco
Brewer

Postby RidleyRumpus » Tue Apr 29, 2014 16:58

Hi,

Hopefully this will be my next brew but I do need to buy some grain hops and yeast first. I usually buy from the Malt Miller and was wondering if anyone could point me towards which wheat malt and yeast to buy, thanks.

Ridley
RidleyRumpus
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Tue Apr 29, 2014 17:06

Yeast wise I like whitelabs wlp3068

Pilsner malt is traditional although British lager malt would work fine

Standard wheat malt as well.

I have thought about using the Dingemann malts for a different base flavour

Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby GrowlingDog » Tue Apr 29, 2014 17:14

For Yeast Whitelabs WLP300 would be a good choice, or you could use WLP380. Isn't 3068 the Wyeast strain?

As for Malt the Thomas Fawcett Pale Wheat Malt is probably the best choice of what is in stock at The Malt Miller currently.

Have you made a wheat beer before, they are notorious for stuck mashes, and this recipe has a lot of Wheat in it.
GrowlingDog
Admin

Postby pittsy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 17:19

RidleyRumpus wrote:Hi,

Hopefully this will be my next brew but I do need to buy some grain hops and yeast first. I usually buy from the Malt Miller and was wondering if anyone could point me towards which wheat malt and yeast to buy, thanks.

Ridley

Hi , go for weyerman malts from the malt miller (dingeman are excellent too ) . Pilsner malt is the best choice but you can use dingeman pale malt , munich malt or vienna malt as your main barley and go for pale wheat malt (weyerman) .
I will always advice wlp380 as it's my favourite but wlp300 is good too , wb06 is ok , just ok nothing more . Don't ferment over 22c , i would advice either 18c or 20c ( more clove at 18c ) .
I love the wheat beers it's almost all i drink ( except for the odd bavarian/german lager) , I have brewed a batch around every month for about 2.5 years (sometimes more) and have tried almost every version ( different yeasts , malts , mash temps etc etc) Personally i find erdinger very bland almost lager ish , can not detect any banana and the clove is distant . Try a Paulaner if you can find any :drink: lovely ( needs more banana though )
Avoid english wheat malt especially if doing step mashing . ( 40'sc and 50'sc)
pittsy
Brewer

Postby jkp » Tue Apr 29, 2014 17:55

I just happen to have a bottle of Weihenstephaner at home, so it got me thinking, is it possible to cultivate the yeast from a bottle of it?
If not, are there any good Hefeweizen which can be used to cultivate yeast? Paulaner maybe?
jkp
Brewer

Postby pittsy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 18:01

Mostly not , many that are bottle conditioned use lager yeast for the priming (spice) after filtering . Wlp300 or the wyeast version are a close yeast ( comes from the( weihenstephan lab ) Lovely weiss bier that :D
pittsy
Brewer

Postby jkp » Tue Apr 29, 2014 18:14

pittsy wrote:Mostly not , many that are bottle conditioned use lager yeast for the priming (spice) after filtering.

Thanks. I feared it would be a bottling strain rather than the primary strain. I don't have a very wide selection of yeast to pick from, mostly dried while the few liquid yeasts cost a lot (~15 quid). Hence the desire to widen the choice via cultivation.

jkp
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Tue Apr 29, 2014 18:20

Schnieder weiss is bottled with the primary strain. Remember that wheat yeasts tend to be a bit short lived so reculturing can be hit and miss

Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby jkp » Tue Apr 29, 2014 18:32

Thanks for that. I'd just read about Schneider Weisse actually, and also Schöfferhofer Hefe-Weizen perhaps too having the primary strain.
Anyway it's a good excuse to buy (and drink!) more beer, all in the name of experimentation!
jkp
Brewer

Postby pittsy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 19:30

Aleman wrote:Schnieder weiss is bottled with the primary strain. Remember that wheat yeasts tend to be a bit short lived so reculturing can be hit and miss

Really , very pleased you mentioned that Tony , I have a bottle of that from NickW just back from munich . From the drinking that I noticed going on ( lots of pictures ) I bet the bottle ain't too old . Gonna try growing from that :thumb: :party:
pittsy
Brewer

Postby RidleyRumpus » Tue Apr 29, 2014 23:18

I have some M/O left over from a 25kg sack, will this do for the malt or would I be better off buying something different.

Presumably the 1.5Kg of wheat malt I have will do and I just need to add a couple of kilos more?

Ridley

Last edited by RidleyRumpus on Tue Apr 29, 2014 23:32, edited 1 time in total.
RidleyRumpus
Brewer

Postby RidleyRumpus » Tue Apr 29, 2014 23:29

GrowlingDogBeer wrote:For Yeast Whitelabs WLP300 would be a good choice, or you could use WLP380. Isn't 3068 the Wyeast strain?

As for Malt the Thomas Fawcett Pale Wheat Malt is probably the best choice of what is in stock at The Malt Miller currently.

Have you made a wheat beer before, they are notorious for stuck mashes, and this recipe has a lot of Wheat in it.

No I haven't. I am willing to give it a try though. I do like the cloudy Erdinger and Paulaner though the more flavour the better IMHO isnt that mainly from the yeast? In which case the WLP380 will give the flavour and the cloudyness?

I have a fermentation fridge which is temp controlled so that should help? Start at 12 and slowly raise over the next few days?
RidleyRumpus
Brewer

Postby GrowlingDog » Wed Apr 30, 2014 00:43

I think you should ferment at about 18c. 12 is too cold. These yeasts are of the Ale Yeast family and need Ale ferment temperatures.
Pittsy and Aleman are the gurus of this type of beer so I would listen to what they say.

I have made a few but am no expert.
GrowlingDog
Admin

Postby RidleyRumpus » Wed Apr 30, 2014 00:47

I thought that I read somewhere that this recipe should be pitched at 12°C and raised to 18°C over 4-5 days?
RidleyRumpus
Brewer

Next