Alemans Effin Erdinger Recipe

Belgian Beers, Saisons, Wheat beers, Bierre de garde, Sour beers, Fruit Beers etc

Re: Alemans Effin Erdinger Recipe

Postby GrowlingDog » Wed Apr 30, 2014 01:03

You are correct. That's what Aleman says in the first post in this thread. (I should have read it better).
GrowlingDog
Admin

Postby jkp » Wed Apr 30, 2014 05:16

GrowlingDogBeer wrote:Make sure you pitch plenty of yeast.

That's not what Aleman said.

Aleman wrote:The usual rule is to pitch big . . . Don't . . . this is one of those times when under pitching into cold wort is a good idea. . .
jkp
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Wed Apr 30, 2014 08:10

GrowlingDogBeer wrote:For Yeast Whitelabs WLP300 would be a good choice, or you could use WLP380. Isn't 3068 the Wyeast strain?

:doh: :doh:

WLP300 = WY3068 . . I normally try not to confuse the numbering systems :sorry:

I'm not a fan of WLP380 personally I find it a bit clean and clinical . . . But then I know how to drive WLP300 to produce the flavours I want

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby RidleyRumpus » Wed Apr 30, 2014 14:31

RidleyRumpus wrote:I have some M/O left over from a 25kg sack, will this do for the malt or would I be better off buying something different.

Presumably the 1.5Kg of wheat malt I have will do and I just need to add a couple of kilos more?

Ridley

Will the M/O be OK then?
RidleyRumpus
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Wed Apr 30, 2014 15:04

IMO yes . .just get some pilsner malt to make up the rest

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby jkp » Thu May 01, 2014 09:53

I bottled my batch of this yesterday. I tasted a small sample and I was surprised to find that it had quite a bitter taste. I know that the taste will likely change with conditioning, but it got me worried a little. Wheat beers should be good young so I'd kind of expected it would taste nicer at this stage. I'd just let it do its think and in the end it was in the FV for 3 weeks (I guess I lost track of it). Could that length of time have lead to the bitter flavour?
jkp
Brewer

Postby pittsy » Thu May 01, 2014 18:34

Sometimes the crud and krausen if left to drop back into the beer can cause bitterness , sorry to say this won't be a great beer :( . You can tell even from a sample half way through fermenting if it's a good wheat . Should be smooth even before carbonation . It also may be because your water , have you treated it or better still have a water report to know what it's like . It may be you had too high a mash ph . :?:
pittsy
Brewer

Postby RidleyRumpus » Thu May 01, 2014 18:37

pittsy wrote:Sometimes the crud and krausen if left to drop back into the beer can cause bitterness , sorry to say this won't be a great beer :( . You can tell even from a sample half way through fermenting if it's a good wheat . Should be smooth even before carbonation . It also may be because your water , have you treated it or better still have a water report to know what it's like . It may be you had too high a mash ph . :?:

So what to do to prevent this?
RidleyRumpus
Brewer

Postby pittsy » Thu May 01, 2014 19:54

know your water and treat if needed and top crop the yeast ( this is the best way of getting excellent yeast to re use ), while you're doing it scrap some of the crap off the sides too .
pittsy
Brewer

Postby jkp » Fri May 02, 2014 03:17

Strange thing is that I tasted a few drops a couple of days ago from a refractometer test which was fine. Perhaps it wasn't obvious in such a small quantity.

I've not started with water treatment yet because I've only done a couple of AG batches. So far I've just been filtering my water with a Brita which is supposed to remove the temporary hardness but not the permanent hardness. Of course it's not a proper treatment process but it has been ok so far, until now.

My water report seems to show that our water varies quite a lot,
Cl 17.9-80.9 ppm
SO4 24.6-149 ppm
Na 12.2-44.3 ppm
Mg not reported
Ca not reported
Total hardness as CaCO3 244-385 ppm

Clearly I need an alkalinity test kit (and maybe Calcium too) so I can check each brew. Is adding Acid Malt an effective way of lowing the mash ph? How do I know how much to add?
jkp
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Fri May 02, 2014 08:07

jkp wrote:I've not started with water treatment yet because I've only done a couple of AG batches. So far I've just been filtering my water with a Brita which is supposed to remove the temporary hardness but not the permanent hardness.

Take a look >>>>HERE <<<<. Just remember that most Jug type water filters remove Hardness and leave alkalinity alone, which is the opposite to that required for brewing

jkp wrote:Is adding Acid Malt an effective way of lowing the mash ph? How do I know how much to add?

It depends on your water . . . if your water is treated properly, then 1% acid malt will drop the pH of the grist by 0.1pH units

Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby NickW » Fri May 02, 2014 10:23

Aleman wrote:
I was asked via PM to wrote:Be so kind as to share your recipe and method for your version of an Erdinger style beer and also your celebrated Bohemian Pilsner....if you don't ask, you don't get!

Well Erdinger is pretty much the classic Bavarian Wheat Beer.

Sorry to go slightly off the topic flow but I'm not sure about this aleman.

After various trips to many pubs beer gardens and beer halls in Munich. And places outside the centre. I didn't see erdinger once. Not even in a beer shop! The only time I saw it was in in the wetherspoons at Birmingham airport on the trip out :D

If anything, Paulaner and Fransiskaner seem to be the heavyweights.

Perhaps erdinger is the weißbier of the north?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
NickW
Brewer

Postby RidleyRumpus » Fri May 02, 2014 21:53

My best mate is from Munich and when I went there last we stayed outside Munich (about20-30km) with his aunt. Erdinger was very popular there not so much inside Munich.
RidleyRumpus
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Fri May 02, 2014 22:12

NickW wrote:
Aleman wrote:Well Erdinger is pretty much the classic Bavarian Wheat Beer.

I'm not sure about this aleman.

After various trips to many pubs beer gardens and beer halls in Munich. And places outside the centre. I didn't see erdinger once.

Nick, If you go into a pubs here in Blackpool, you would think that the only beers available are Tetley Creamflow, John Smiths, SmoothFlow, Fosters, Stella and Carling, and no other beer exists . . . popularity is not necessarily an indication of quality :whistle:

. . . I'd say that all three are pretty much classic Bavarian Wheat beers, there is not a huge difference between them . . .

Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby NickW » Fri May 02, 2014 22:39

Fair play aleman. I will have to try another erdinger soon. Last time I had one I liked it. But always measurably preferred a fransiskaner or even more... pittsys weißbier!

NickW
Brewer

Postby pittsy » Fri May 02, 2014 23:13

Erdinger is more of a starter weiss to those that ain't used to drinking them , bland almost lagerish . Fransizkaner has more flavour while paulaner is miles ahead in clove and banana . Every other version of a weiss bier just has more to offer than Erdinger , however Alemans version here would also be miles ahead ( if liquid yeast used ) I'm on about the stuff in pubs and shops . :)
pittsy
Brewer

Postby RidleyRumpus » Sat May 10, 2014 20:41

Aleman wrote:
Ferment for 7-10 days, then crash cool for another 4 days, to drop a lot of the yeast before transferring to a cask/ bottling bucket . . . Prime to give around 2.5 Volumes of CO2 in the finished beer . . . so you could be looking at around 120g of sugar.

I prefer to bottle my wheat beers and they are best drunk young.

Presumably the 7-10 days includes the 4 or so days getting to 18 degrees?

I brewed some last weekend and it is at about 1.020 so I should think someway to go yet, what sort of FG should I look for?

Ridley

Oh and it tastes pretty good, maybe not as strong flavours as I would like but def a nice Weissbiere.
RidleyRumpus
Brewer

Postby pittsy » Sat May 10, 2014 22:09

i would expect 1012 to 1014 depending on your mash etc
pittsy
Brewer

Postby supersteve » Sat May 10, 2014 22:20

NickW wrote:Sorry to go slightly off the topic flow but I'm not sure about this aleman.

After various trips to many pubs beer gardens and beer halls in Munich. And places outside the centre. I didn't see erdinger once. Not even in a beer shop! The only time I saw it was in in the wetherspoons at Birmingham airport on the trip out :D

I stayed in Erding for a week during some travels, and I can with out a doubt say it's hugely popular, since there is absolutely nothing in that small town apart from the brewery and the que for tours was quite long, certainly not a northern german brew.
I also saw many bottles of it stock piled in every store I entered in Bavaria :?
supersteve
Brewer

Postby NickW » Sun May 11, 2014 01:33

supersteve wrote:
NickW wrote:Sorry to go slightly off the topic flow but I'm not sure about this aleman.

I stayed in Erding for a week during some travels, and I can with out a doubt say it's hugely popular, since there is absolutely nothing in that small town apart from the brewery and the que for tours was quite long, certainly not a northern german brew.
I also saw many bottles of it stock piled in every store I entered in Bavaria :?

Maybe I was going into the wrong shops. but I never saw it in Munich city centre.

All the pubs/bars/restaurants seemed to be affiliated with a brewery. But none were erdinger. Always paulaner, hacker, fransiskaner

NickW
Brewer

Postby RidleyRumpus » Sun May 11, 2014 13:13

NickW wrote:
supersteve wrote:

Maybe I was going into the wrong shops. but I never saw it in Munich city centre.

All the pubs/bars/restaurants seemed to be affiliated with a brewery. But none were erdinger. Always paulaner, hacker, fransiskaner

I was staying in Grafing, which is SE of Munich by about 20 miles, Erding is NE by about the same amount.

Erdinger was everywhere to the almost exclusion of all others. In Munich Erdinger was much much less prevalent.
RidleyRumpus
Brewer

Postby jkp » Sun May 11, 2014 17:53

jkp wrote:I bottled my batch of this yesterday. I tasted a small sample and I was surprised to find that it had quite a bitter taste. I know that the taste will likely change with conditioning, but it got me worried a little. Wheat beers should be good young so I'd kind of expected it would taste nicer at this stage. I'd just let it do its think and in the end it was in the FV for 3 weeks (I guess I lost track of it). Could that length of time have lead to the bitter flavour?

I've been worrying about my batch of this ever since I tasted a bitter flavour during bottling. Well, today I gave in and tried a small bottle. Nicely carbonated, good head, smelt like Erdinger and then the taste; smooth slightly sweet, a little cloves and a hint of banana, and not a bit of bitterness. I'm very relieved!
jkp
Brewer

Postby RidleyRumpus » Thu May 15, 2014 23:30

Mine has been fermenting for about 10 days and I think it maybe just about done fermenting though there is still a quite thick Krausen on the surface. The gravity is at about 1.012.

It is tasting very nice and very much a Weissbier. However the instructions say to crash cool the beer to drop most of the yeast, however I do like the cloudy Weissbier.

Just how much of the yeast will this drop?
RidleyRumpus
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Fri May 16, 2014 07:01

Not enough ;)

Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby RidleyRumpus » Fri May 16, 2014 07:16

Not enough fermentation?

Or

Will not drop enough yeast?

If tge latter is tgat becsuse you prefer it clear?
RidleyRumpus
Brewer

PreviousNext