Ardennes Amber & Ardennes Blond

Belgian Beers, Saisons, Wheat beers, Bierre de garde, Sour beers, Fruit Beers etc

Ardennes Amber & Ardennes Blond

Postby serum » Wed Oct 22, 2014 20:34

Here are 2 recipes I've made using the same yeast and quite similar ingredients that have both worked very nicely. The aim was to make a fairly mild beer and this worked well as both are perilously drinkable. The Blond is very smooth and spicy whereas the malty flavours in the Amber bring it somewhere between a Belgian beer and a Biere De Garde.

ARDENNES BLOND:

GRAIN BILL
5kg Pilsner
800g flaked wheat

BOIL
35g Northern Brewer (7.3%) First wort hop
30g EKG (4.5%) @ 30 mins
500ml Orange blossom honey @15 mins
10g Coriander seeds @15 mins
35g Saaz (3.15%) @ 5 mins

Yeast from bottles of La Chouffe, 1.5L starter. You can also use Wyeast 3522 or WLP550

Batch size: 25L
Estimated OG: 1.058
Estimated FG: 1.008
Estimated IBU: 35
Est ABV: 6.5%

ARDENNES AMBER:

GRAIN BILL
4.5kg Pilsner
500g flaked wheat
300g Biscuit Malt

BOIL
25g EKG (4.5%) First wort hop
18g EKG (4.5%) @ 30 mins
300ml Orange blossom honey @15 mins
10g Coriander seeds @15 mins
30g Saaz (3.15%) @ 5 mins

Yeast from bottles of La Chouffe, 1.5L starter. You can also use Wyeast 3522 or WLP550

Batch size: 25L
Estimated OG: 1.054
Estimated FG: 1.008
Estimated IBU: 18.4
Est ABV: 6.0%

FV - Altbier
Bottled: Blond & Amber Biere De Garde, Blond & Amber French Ale, Belgian Pale
Planned: More Altbier, Kolsch, XX Bitter Clone
serum
Brewer

Re: Ardennes Amber & Ardennes Blond

Postby robwalker » Thu Oct 23, 2014 15:33

Looks great mate, I'll have to brew one of your belgians soon!
robwalker
Brewer

Postby Rivvo » Sun Nov 16, 2014 17:31

Nice one Serum, any chance you could post some of your other recipes, I'm looking at making a Biere de Garde next but the recipe I have says to use a Saison yeast? Seemed a bit odd

Drinking - Pater's Biere, Golden Mile summer ale, Brittania bitter, Red Sun Ryesing, All around the world IPA, Temptation Tripel, Old Shuch stout,
Bottled and conditioning -
Fermenting -
Rivvo
Brewer

Postby serum » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:54

Rivvo wrote:Nice one Serum, any chance you could post some of your other recipes, I'm looking at making a Biere de Garde next but the recipe I have says to use a Saison yeast? Seemed a bit odd

Here are some links to the brewdays posts. I'm saving the tried and tested ones for here. I'm not 100% sure I hit the nail on the head with my biere de garde in terms of style although it's still quite nice to drink.

Here they are:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4450
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4568

There doesn't seem to be an actual Biere De Garde yeast. Apparently the one that Wyeast sells is from Fantome in Belgium, which makes Saisons and the French Saison yeast is from Thiriez, which is a Biere De Garde producer. Things cross over quite a bit! According to Farmhouse ales, some use a lager yeast at higher temps or an ale yeast at lower temps. Some people use Kolsch yeast. At the time I made these I'd never tried Kolsch but actually it seems like a good match now that I've drank a few.

If you post the recipe I'll have a look. If there's anything in there that didn't work for me I can let you know.

FV - Altbier
serum
Brewer

Postby Rivvo » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:13

Thanks for posting that, I'm also considering brewing a Pater's Biere after Christmas and then pitching a Dubbel/Trappist style onto the yeast cake to avoid making a massive starter.

Drinking - Pater's Biere, Golden Mile summer ale, Brittania bitter, Red Sun Ryesing, All around the world IPA, Temptation Tripel, Old Shuch stout,
Fermenting -
Rivvo
Brewer

Postby Rivvo » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:24

The recipe I have is-
4kg pale malt
1.5kg Vienna malt
.5kg Aromatic malt
.5kg Biscuit malt

33g brewers gold at -60 minutes
25g Tettnang at -5 minutes
25g Tettnang at flame out

Protofloc tablet at -15 minutes

Recommended yeast is Wyeast 3711
22' fermentation then 6 weeks conditioning at 12'

Og 1065
Fg 1014
Abv 7%

Ibu 25
Ebc 17.7

23 litre batch

Fermenting -
Rivvo
Brewer

Postby serum » Wed Nov 19, 2014 13:37

That'll be very malty but that yeast is very aggressive and should cut through it. It'll take a saison down to 1.000 in some cases. My first one with that yeast went down to 1.002 no problem. I'd bring the OG down a bit to compensate as that yeast is bound to go a lot further than 1.014.

The hops look spot on, as does the colour.

If you're using Dingemans biscuit malt it seems to make the brew a lot darker than I expected. I had this with my Ardennes amber but it was still very tasty. I wonder if going for 200g biscuit and 300g aromatic might be enough and make the rest up with the other malts as I found them quite strong but I've only done a few of these so you might know better than me.

I think french brewers will use pilsner malt rather than pale but it might not make a world of difference. I just use it because I always have a massive bag of it.

FV - Altbier
serum
Brewer