It Goes Gose

Belgian Beers, Saisons, Wheat beers, Bierre de garde, Sour beers, Fruit Beers etc

It Goes Gose

Postby rlemkin » Tue Jul 26, 2016 14:42

It goes gose-uh. Apparently..

A quick no-boil sour today in the gose style. A light wheat beer with additions of salt and coriander. Similar to a Berliner Weisse, but generally less sour, and less likely to contain Brettanomyces. I've shot for the middle of the salt range with these additions, it's always possible to add more later.

I've describe my souring methods in earlier posts, but basically cool wort to 40c -> add probiotic Lactobacillus Plantarum tablets -> 48 hrs later pitch clean yeast. Generally it means a decent sour in the bottle within two weeks.

The acidulated malt is there to lower the initial pH and help head retention. Substitute this out for more Pilsner if you don't have it.

Brewing a double batch of this and I might add something to the other gallon. Dry hops? Brett? Fruit?

Gose - Double Batch (Berliner Weisse)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.038 (°P): 9.5
Final Gravity (FG): 1.006 (°P): 1.5
Alcohol (ABV): 4.18 %
Colour (SRM): 3.1 (EBC): 6.1
Bitterness (IBU): 3.2 (Average)

50% Wheat Malt
44% Pilsner
6% Acidulated Malt

0.8 g/L First Gold (7.9% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Mash)

0.9 g/L Coriander Seed @ 0 Minutes (Boil)
1.0 g/L Pink salt @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 63°C for 90 Minutes. Bring to boil and cool immediately

Fermented at 18°C with US-05 & Swanson's Lactobacillus Plantarum tablets

Notes: Mash Hops and remove with grain :7/26/2016 1:26:22 PM :

Bring to boil and then cool

Pitch Lacto and 24hrs later a clean yeast.

Recipe Generated with BrewMate
rlemkin
Brewer

Re: It Goes Gose

Postby rlemkin » Wed Jul 27, 2016 16:44

You can smell the lacto.. US-05 pitched.
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Sun Aug 14, 2016 15:08

Down to 1.006 and grapefruit added to half the batch for three days. Cooling down now pre-bottling.

Both versions are absolutely delicious and I'd say the renaissance of this style in the US is well deserved. Wish I had more than a demijohn of each.
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby xCamel xSlayer » Sun Aug 14, 2016 16:23

This sounds excellent. Recently discovered sours and gose etc... Sounds right up my street.
xCamel xSlayer
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:20

Tried this yesterday and it's certainly very drinkable. Lovely body and a very good summer drink.

The plain version went down well last night at a tasting. People seemed to like the wheat combined with the bright citrus flavours from the coriander.
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby StevieDS » Thu Aug 25, 2016 15:18

This is on my (very long) to-brew list. I thought the salt was added post-fermentation because the yeast doesn't like it.

"The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

Planning: Brett Amarillo Smash
Fermenting: AG52 Brett Saison v2, AG41 Lambic v2.0
Conditioning: AG51 Brett Saison, AG48 Biere de Garde, AG42 Westvleteren XII Clone, AG29 Lambic v1.0
Drinking: AG51 Brett Saison v1, AG53 Standard Bitter
StevieDS
Brewer

Postby The Goatreich » Thu Aug 25, 2016 15:33

After googling Swanson's Lactobacillus Plantarum I found them to be probiotic tablets! Wow! Do you need to culture them up from that, or just throw them in?

Fermenting: AG#28 Things Can Only Get Bitter
Conditioning:
Drinking: AG#25 Williamsburg Wannabe, AG#26 #Tis the Saison, AG#27 Winter Equinox
----------------------------------------------
Twitter: @andimorris616
Instagram: @andimorris616
The Goatreich
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Thu Aug 25, 2016 16:03

The Goatreich wrote:After googling Swanson's Lactobacillus Plantarum I found them to be probiotic tablets! Wow! Do you need to culture them up from that, or just throw them in?

I just dissolve them in warm water, but I only brew a gallon or so at a time. I'd make a small starter if I was doing a full sized batch.

Plantarum is great because it's happy at lower temperatures when compared to most other Lacto strains, so there's no need to warm up your FV.

StevieDS wrote:This is on my (very long) to-brew list. I thought the salt was added post-fermentation because the yeast doesn't like it.

You're right, at least that's certainly true in bread making. Although the concentration of salt here (1g/l) is probably low enough that you don't need to worry. It took the US-05 a full two weeks to get down to FG, but the fermentation profile is still clean. It could be worth adding the salt later if you were to make this particularly sour (my version has a pH of around 3.8) as the acidity combined with the salt could possibly prove too much.
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:01

The grapefruit version of this was well received the other night at the homebrew club. A few more people have certainly been converted to Gose ;).

I'm not convinced that there's anything that drastically needs changing. When I rebrew this I'll probably experiment with adding different fruits, but it's also nice plain.
rlemkin
Brewer