1st Belgian

Belgian Beers, Saisons, Wheat beers, Bierre de garde, Sour beers, Fruit Beers etc

1st Belgian

Postby Jeltz » Tue Nov 21, 2017 00:00

Thought I ought to do a Belgian beer as its a style I've not brewed yet.

I fancy doing a trippel or a dubbel, but I have no clue with recipes.

I have:-

30kg Maris Otter
5kg Pilsner malt
3kg Munich malt
2kg Wheat malt
500g Aromatic Malt
500g Special B
500g Cara Munich

Herkules hops which are a fairly clean bittering hop but the rest of the hops I have are typical British style or American citrussy ones.

Yeast wise I have a packets of Safale BE-256 and Mangrove Jack Belgian Abbey M47 and would expect to make a starter.

If anyone can post or link their favourite recipes that would be awesome :)

Regards Nic
Jeltz
Admin

Re: 1st Belgian

Postby Saccharomyces » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:31

I don’t know much about those dried strains which limits the advice a little.

The flavours in the beer depend on the yeast and fermentation profile. That notwithstanding, you are missing dark Candi syrup that is essential to make a great Dubbel or Dark Strong. So Patersbier, Tripel or Golden Strong are possibles.

There are several clones of Duvel knocking around, the recipe for Tank 7 includes a heap load of US hops (https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/ ... co-tank-7/) but maybe a simple Patersbier is where to start.

They are just 4-5 kg of pilsner malt, 150g of wheat for head retention, 250 g aromatic (optional) and 100-200g of sugar (optional). I am assuming a 20 l brewlength.

Take it easy with the hops (below 30 IBU) and don’t add any aroma additions. Goldings or other noble-type hops are best but you could get away with a number of alternatives if you keep the flavour addition around 10-15 g.
Saccharomyces
Brewer

Postby Jeltz » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:39

I'll probably make my own candi syrup. I have sugar and cream of tartar :)

Regards Nic
Jeltz
Admin

Postby Jeltz » Tue Nov 21, 2017 22:13

Thanks Saccharomyces that has given me a lot to go on. In fact I've planned the next 2 brews.

1) A Belgian IPA (25L)
The simco is a bit old so won't be as potent as it could be. Hence 200G in at flame out.
2) A Dubbel (20L)

I'll use the Mangrove Jack yeast for the IPA and re-pitch for the Dubbel and obviously I will need to make some candi sugar

Any suggestions for either brew gratefully received, the IPA is being brewed on the 28th Nov.

Fermentation temperature, 18/20°C?

Regards Nic
Jeltz
Admin

Postby Saccharomyces » Tue Nov 21, 2017 22:29

Most Belgians need a blend of phenolic and fruity flavours so I pitch at 18 and let it rise to 22 C.

It depends on the yeast though, some I let go higher. The key thing is to avoid fusel alcohols and also dump the yeast at the end with a period of cold conditioning. You can add fresh yeast in at bottling, but don’t add too much.

I still think it is going to be tricky to make proper dark Candi syrup at home, the real stuff tastes amazing and gives the beer most of the chocolate and dark fruit flavours.

I guess you have to cook it for a long time and use semi-refined sugars?
Saccharomyces
Brewer

Postby Dennis King » Tue Nov 21, 2017 22:42

I've brewed a few with whitelabs Monastery ale and candi sugar and they turn out really good. I think the yeast is key with this style.
Dennis King

Postby Jeltz » Tue Nov 21, 2017 23:51

Saccharomyces wrote:
I still think it is going to be tricky to make proper dark Candi syrup at home, the real stuff tastes amazing and gives the beer most of the chocolate and dark fruit flavours.

probably wise to use the real thing especially as its a 1st try, I'll ask the LHBS if they can order it in as they are supplied by MaltMiller.

Regards Nic
Jeltz
Admin

Postby INDIAPALEALE » Wed Nov 22, 2017 08:43

Ask Santa for Graham Wheeler's Brew Classic European Beers At Home. It's stuffed full of classic beer and lager recipes. Just make sure you are sitting down when you read the price but it's worth every penny.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin
INDIAPALEALE
Brewer

Postby Bad 'Ed » Wed Nov 22, 2017 19:40

Saccharomyces wrote:. The key thing is to avoid fusel alcohols and also dump the yeast at the end with a period of cold conditioning.

Why is this? I've only made one Belgian beer to date and I got a fair amount more sediment in the bottles than expected. I assumed this was because I had quite a lot more wheat in than usual, but are you suggesting that the yeast could cause this?

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer

Postby Saccharomyces » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:45

The sediment is usually yeast, yes. There are a huge number of factors influencing flocculation, but given time and temperature most will settle out. I'd rather dump most of it and reseed with fresh alcohol-tolerant yeast for bottling. The yeast certainly sit on foam when the beer is otherwise finished, unlike with lager or some ale strains.

The Wyeast page on flocculation is worth a read if you have 5 minutes. The words 'it depends' were made for this subject!

http://www.wyeastlab.com/clarificationflocculation
Saccharomyces
Brewer

Postby Jeltz » Thu Nov 23, 2017 14:46

I'll be kegging and carbonating with gas so I won't have to worry about priming. My LHBS is getting the candi syrup in for me with their next order. I'll still have a go at making some though but it will be good to know what it's supposed to taste like.

Regards Nic
Jeltz
Admin