30ish acres of sunshine

Belgian Beers, Saisons, Wheat beers, Bierre de garde, Sour beers, Fruit Beers etc

30ish acres of sunshine

Postby Cheebs » Tue Oct 03, 2017 18:48

Hi, Id really appreciate some critique for this recipe.

I'm trying to design an approximation of a beer that is available only in vancouver. I asked the brewery for some advice but they very politely declined to help. The brewers website describes it like this. (only half of the second para is descriptive of the beer lol!)

Style: French Blanchè
Colour: Hazy blonde
Alcohol: 5.0% by volume
Aroma: Fruity; orange peel; coriander; black liquorice
Flavour: Fruity; orange peel; coriander; black liquorice; sweet aftertaste
Wondrously, people may ponder, how is ‘Sunshine’ made? With vital gear prepped and necessities intact, adventurous natures gesture the ways. Centered among lively ambiance, teeming winds and waves amplify magnificent terrains. An exquisite alchemy forms as firing swells synch between greatly planting feet, and grand drafting hands, surfacing vast expanses. These picturesque balancings serenade the dynamic first breaths, through last drops, and beyond the dawning horizons.

Thanks to summers' launching acclaims, this romantic French Blanchè can willingly co-star any seasons' forecasts and choice current scenes. Showcasing flares for the prismatic, 33 Acres of Sunshine synthesizes an unfiltered flaked wheat base. Joining the arrays, glowing hops of Aurora and Styrian Golding awaken peppy anise seeds, dazzling coriander, and candied orange ovations. Emanating such vivid traits, this divine beauty is a main-staying source to be gratefully wetted with.

Vive le coeur du soleil!

There is also a picture on this page with some extra information
33 Acres of Sunshine, now in the tasting room, a French blanchè ale lightly hopped with Styrian Golding and flavoured with orange peel, coriander, and anise.

Alcohol: 5.0% by Volume

Colour: Pale blonde, hazy

IBU: 14

I have this so far but I am struggling to know if my grain bill percentages look right or not. I have also never brewed with spices or peel and I wonder when and how much to put in.

Code: Select all
Recipe: 30ish Acres of Sunshine
Brewer: Starlight brewery
Asst Brewer:
Style: Witbier
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 29.70 l
Post Boil Volume: 26.00 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l   
Bottling Volume: 22.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 7.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 15.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 70.7 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                  Name                                     Type         #      %/IBU       
4.00 kg              Wheat, Flaked (3.2 EBC)                  Grain        1      66.7 %       
2.00 kg              Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.5 EBC)         Grain        2      33.3 %       
10.00 g              Celeia [3.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min          Hop          3      3.3 IBUs     
7.00 g               Aurora [7.35 %] - Boil 60.0 min          Hop          4      5.0 IBUs     
1.00 Items           Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)        Fining       5      -           
10.00 g              Aurora [7.35 %] - Boil 5.0 min           Hop          6      1.4 IBUs     
10.00 g              Celeia [3.10 %] - Boil 5.0 min           Hop          7      0.7 IBUs     
15.00 g              Aurora [7.35 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0  Hop          8      3.3 IBUs     
15.00 g              Celeia [3.10 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0  Hop          9      1.5 IBUs     
1.0 pkg              Safbrew Wheat (DCL/Fermentis #WB-06) [50 Yeast        10     -           

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 6.00 kg
----------------------------
Name                   Description                                    Step Temperature   Step Time   
Mash In                Add 15.65 l of water at 71.9 C                 65.6 C             75 min       

Sparge: Fly sparge with 20.41 l water at 75.6 C

I have used maris otter as its my usual base malt, maybe this isnt the right choice for this style though?

Thanks in advance for any help :drink:
Cheebs
Brewer

Re: 30ish acres of sunshine

Postby robwalker » Tue Oct 03, 2017 19:05

Ideally you want a lager or extra pale malt, but in lieu of that Maris otter should suffice considering it's 1/3 of the bill, although it'll add colour.
Celeia will likely be the aroma hop with aurora adding the bitterness, at a guess. Go easy on the anise, it's potent. You want a 90 min boil and quick cooling to avoid dms, as well as a breathable fermenter.
Otherwise looks good. Someone else may be able to advise on any step mashing..
robwalker
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Wed Oct 04, 2017 06:35

I've used spices and peel before. I added them to the fv after soaking them in vodka for a couple of days. Then I tasted the beer regularly until it was tasting how I wanted then I whipped out the spices.
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby INDIAPALEALE » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:16

"French Blanchè" :scratch: Don't know where that name came from. Perhaps they thought that adding an e with a grave accent made it sound more French. In fact I cannot think of any French word that ends with an è.
The style is actually Belgian and it is called Wit. Translated into French it becomes Bière Blanche. Right back down off of my pedestal. Here is a good recipe.

12.5 HECTARES DU SOLEIL :lol: :lol:

25 litres
4.5% ABV
20 EBU
3 EBC

5 kg lager malt
2 kg wheat malt
2 kg flaked wheat

Perle hops to 20 EBU 60 mins boil

Mash
50° C 15 mins
66° C60 mins
76° C 5 mins

25 grams each of spice ground coriander and dried bitter orange peel last 15 mins of boil.

Probably the best Wit that I have ever tasted

I have edited the spice quantities ! I forgot to halve them for a 25 litre brew length :oops:

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin
INDIAPALEALE
Brewer

Postby jkp » Fri Oct 06, 2017 17:08

As above, I'd swap some of that flaked wheat for wheat malt otherwise you could have conversion issues. And don't forget rice hulls!

Last time I went for 50%/20%/30% lager malt/wheat malt/ flaked wheat, and the result was great.

Really interested in how the anise works out.

jkp
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Fri Oct 06, 2017 21:21

Hm, two different kinds there. Flaked wheat is raw whereas malted is - malted. If you're worried about gooieness, I'd add rice hulls or oat husks.
robwalker
Brewer

Postby jkp » Sat Oct 07, 2017 06:29

robwalker wrote:Hm, two different kinds there. Flaked wheat is raw whereas malted is - malted.

Exactly Rob, and at 2/3 flaked wheat, which has no diastatic power, you'd be asking a lot of the MO to do a full conversion. Hence a mix of flaked and malted wheat is better. That's my understanding anyway.

jkp
Brewer

Postby INDIAPALEALE » Sat Oct 07, 2017 08:55

jkp wrote:
robwalker wrote:Hm, two different kinds there. Flaked wheat is raw whereas malted is - malted.

Exactly Rob, and at 2/3 flaked wheat, which has no diastatic power, you'd be asking a lot of the MO to do a full conversion. Hence a mix of flaked and malted wheat is better. That's my understanding anyway.

Flaked wheat is not raw.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin
INDIAPALEALE
Brewer

Postby jkp » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:14

Indeed they're not technically raw, although they are often used as a alternative to raw for ease of use. "Un-malted" was probably what Rob meant.

jkp
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:56

Yeah, that's it. I see the enzyme argument though, but the flavour will be different.
robwalker
Brewer

Postby jkp » Sat Oct 07, 2017 17:54

The diastatic power of MO is about 120*L, so using 2kg in a 6kg grist you have a mash with 120x2/6=40*L total diastatic power. About 35*L is the limit, so it's a bit close, especially if the grain is a little old. Keeping it as Pale Malt plus flaked wheat, maybe a 50:50 split is more reasonable (60*L).

jkp
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Sat Oct 07, 2017 18:11

Jkp, haven't encountered that bit before being an adjunct free brewery and with modern malts being so well produced. Googling to learn more...cheers!
robwalker
Brewer

Postby Cheebs » Mon Oct 09, 2017 14:17

Thanks everyone for your input.

I have 10 AG brews under my belt but this is the first of this style. To add to that, it's a request from my better half.

Your answers have been extremely helpful but they have provoked a loads of new questions lol! When I get a minute I'll have a play with the recipe and see what questions I still have after doing some more research.

Thanks again!
Cheebs
Brewer