Berlin Lemonade (Berliner Weisse)

Belgian Beers, Saisons, Wheat beers, Bierre de garde, Sour beers, Fruit Beers etc

Re: Berlin Lemonade (Berliner Weisse)

Postby rlemkin » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:57

As I've said with the L. Plantarum tablets you don't need to worry about temperature control and their ideal temperature range is actually lower than most other strains. Already down to a pH of 3.5 this morning and that's in my kitchen between 16-18c.
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:46

Dry hopped with 1g/l of Dana a few days back and pH has settled around 3.25 (dry hopping raises the pH and should also inhibit the Lactobacillus from taking it lower). Initial impressions are very positive. I really need to check the gravity now as I'd be bottling it if it wasn't for the Brett.
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Sun Apr 02, 2017 23:00

rlemkin wrote:Dry hopped with 1g/l of Dana a few days back and pH has settled around 3.25 (dry hopping raises the pH and should also inhibit the Lactobacillus from taking it lower). Initial impressions are very positive. I really need to check the gravity now as I'd be bottling it if it wasn't for the Brett.

I've let this sit another month because of work and a lack of smaller fermenters stopping me from splitting this up. Suffice to say I'm convinced enough to have bought the ingredients for a rebrew already. I feel like I've nailed the basic Berliner, so now I think it's time to split my aims into a table version (2.5%, oak & brett) and stronger base (~5.5%) for fruiting.
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Wed Apr 12, 2017 21:58

rlemkin
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Wed Apr 26, 2017 21:19

First sampling of this version with Brettanomyces, Initial impressions are good. A little more carbonation would be nice. Very very dry. Lemony, light, a hint of some tropical fruits and something that I can only describe as 'musty'..

rlemkin
Brewer

Postby serum » Thu Apr 27, 2017 17:54

Brett is a great addition to many beers. Gives you that leathery taste and a lot of complexity as it ages. Berliners are nice but can be one dimensional. Brett is great with hops too.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
serum
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Sat May 20, 2017 20:51

:thumb: The most recent version of this came in 3rd on the Smoke, Wild and Sour table at the LSEBC competition after the Lichtenhainer.
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Sun Jun 04, 2017 16:05

Mango version bottled. I had a hard job filtering out the mushy mango, but most bottles are clear. I left it for around a month on almost 100g/l of frozen mango chunks from the supermarket. The mango has come through very well, hopefully it doesn't fade too quickly in the bottle.

I added about 2L of this onto oak chips last month. It's very oaky and reminiscent of the Beavertown Berliner aged in Bourbon barrels. I quite like it, but blended it into a couple of dark brett beers that could do with some acidity (a Belgian Dubbel aged on cherries w/Brett and a wine yeast fermented brett dark ale ). I've kept one 75cl bottle to share at a homebrew club.
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby brugen » Sat Jun 24, 2017 19:56

rlemkin,

I'm planning on making a 30l batch of your Berlinner Weisse. How many Lacto Planatarium tablets do you think that would need?

Thanks

brugen
brugen
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Fri Jun 30, 2017 22:11

brugen wrote:rlemkin,

I'm planning on making a 30l batch of your Berlinner Weisse. How many Lacto Planatarium tablets do you think that would need?

Thanks

brugen

5 or 6? Safest thing to do is to make a wee 1.020 starter a few days before, but 5-6 should be plenty if you're leaving them alive :)

Sent from my X5 using Tapatalk
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby brugen » Mon Jul 03, 2017 06:35

Thanks, rlemkin
brugen
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:02

So my last batch went really *really bad*. I put it into an old plastic FV. Sulphur... so much sulphur. I think there must have been something lurking in there because it is absolutely awful. So that's the Wine/Brett batch ruined. I'm going to brew another version today, but will focus on different types of brett.
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:55

Brett confuses me. I left this after the previous post and a fortnight later the beer has now come full circle. The sulphur is completely gone and the beer is fine :scratch:
rlemkin
Brewer

Previous