Lichtenhainer v1. Sour and Smoke.

Belgian Beers, Saisons, Wheat beers, Bierre de garde, Sour beers, Fruit Beers etc

Lichtenhainer v1. Sour and Smoke.

Postby rlemkin » Sun Apr 23, 2017 21:37

A new sour beer for me today. A lichtenhainer. A sour and smoky pale ale. I'm thinking of it as a smoked berliner. I'm not sure that it's a combination I'll enjoy, but lets find out. Fermenting away now. This is not a traditional take on the style I don't think, but I can't stand oak smoked malt.. smoked salmon! So opted for cherry wood.

I've put more details on a wee blog https://wildbeeerblog.wordpress.com/2017/04/21/lichtenhainer-part1/. I've been using the forum to record my ramblings, but think I'll be able to keep them better organised on wordpress :thumb: . Readership will probably be me and the google bot.

I also added ~8% Belgian Dark Candi Syrup to the second demijohn. To see if the fruity nature of that pairs well with it. A smoky red sour ale?

Lichtenhainer

Original Gravity (OG): 1.037 (°P): 9.3
Final Gravity (FG): 1.006 (°P): 1.5
Alcohol (ABV): 4.07 %
Colour (SRM): 4.4 (EBC): 8.7
Bitterness (IBU): 0.0 (Average)

40% Wheat Malt
30% Cherry Smoked Malt
30% Lager Malt

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 18°C with

Notes: 1.032 to 1.040

Traditionally probably brett mixed ferm.

Last edited by rlemkin on Fri May 19, 2017 22:19, edited 1 time in total.
rlemkin
Brewer

Re: Lichtenhainer v1. Sour and Smoke.

Postby jkp » Mon Apr 24, 2017 07:06

I've got some smoked malt doing nothing atm, so I'll watch this one with interest!

jkp
Brewer

Postby Brewzee » Tue Apr 25, 2017 05:28

thats gonna be an unusual one what yeast did you use in the end.
Brewzee
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:28

Brewzee wrote:thats gonna be an unusual one what yeast did you use in the end.

Just my usual L.Plantarum pills to sour along with a big pitch of US-05 to chew through the wort. I know that many English strains don't enjoy sour wort and the low pH suppresses esters, so there's not much point using a saison strain or the like.

I've managed to miss the few examples of this style to be made in the UK, so I've no real idea how it'll turn out.
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Thu Apr 27, 2017 22:35

I bought a Wild beer yesterday that is supposed to be a smoked Gose. Will be interested to try that tomorrow.
--

Initial impressions of this beer are very good. Both versions down to a pH of ~3.8.

The plain version is tasting fantastic and I'm very happy with how it's coming along. I was a little apprehensive of ending up with 9L of undrinkable beer.

Although the second demijohn with the candi syrup doesn't have quite the same balance. It's both sweeter and drier. I'm thinking of dry hopping the straight version to limit any further pH drop, While letting the other demijohn sour further to balance the perceived sweetness.
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Fri May 19, 2017 17:07

My first taste of this beer carbonated and I'm very happy with it. Bit of a shot in the dark, but it's paid off.. the first smoky beer that I actually enjoy!
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby xCamel xSlayer » Fri May 19, 2017 21:53

I love your brewing ideas mate, they always sound bang on and interesting!
xCamel xSlayer
Brewer

Postby rats_eyes » Sat May 20, 2017 18:53

This sounds tasty. Good idea!

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
rats_eyes
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Sat May 20, 2017 20:49

I really wasn't sure I'd enjoy this one, but it does work. I also finally had the Wild Beer's Smoke n Barrels which is an orange smoked gose and it's fantastic and in another league. Ardbeg meets beer.

Entered this one into the London/SE Brewing competition that was today and it picked up 2nd on it's table (Smoke, Wild and Sour) :whistle:
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Sat Jul 01, 2017 21:27

This is such a polarising beer. Shared it around last month and half the people couldn't stomach more than a sip. Smoke and sourness are just not a good flavour combination for most.

The Dark Candi Sugar portion of this beer picked up second on it's table (Speciality, Smoked & Wood-aged) at the Welsh comp today :whistle: :hmm: :). This beer has done better for me in homebrew competitions than anything else :scratch: :rofl:
rlemkin
Brewer